Lazer sharpening my php skills.

I like to lazer sharp my php skills. Please help me.

Page 1 of 1

4 Replies - 1816 Views - Last Post: 06 June 2008 - 09:48 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Lazer sharpening my php skills.

Posted 06 June 2008 - 01:43 AM

hello friends,

i am writing php programs for last 2 years. I was nt a full time coder as i was a student. Now my course is over and now i like to lazer sharp my skills. Even though i had done about 10-12 projects in php, stil im feeling like im only a amature. So please suggest me some really hard Challenges for me to increase my knowldge. Some sites or really hard projects will be helpful. I also like de-buggin. so such kind of challeneges will also be really appriciated.

thankyou.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Lazer sharpening my php skills.

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Lazer sharpening my php skills.

Posted 06 June 2008 - 08:39 AM

One really good way to work on your skill set is to answer posts here on DIC.

It can often take a good little bit of work to find a solution. Not only do you work on your coding skill, but also your research abilities (which are probably just a little more important -- at least once your reach a certain level of proficiency). You also work on your ability to read other people's code. You work on your debugging skills... Basically you get an all around good workout.

Another good way to sharpen your skills and earn Kudos is to look over the "request a tutorial" section and pick out a topic to research and write up.

Since you are talking about PHP another thing you need to do is to go out into the PHP world and look at the open source projects that are out there.

Download a content management system in PHP, set it up, and see if you can extend it with some neat features. Download a Forum system and add in some cool features. i.e. Get to know the products and technologies related to the PHP field.

One piece of advice that I see given a lot is to join an open source project (good resume experience).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 June 2008 - 09:01 AM

Those are all really good suggestions.

On a more exact production scale, you should look at trying to write some plugins or modules for preexisting applications, such as wordpress or Joomla. When you're in a production environment you'll need to learn new APIs and how to integrate your code with other developers. By writing plugins and modules you'll have to do just that. It will also be a great skill to put on your resume.

If you're looking for large scale projects, you could always try to write a clone of an existing application. This is great for learning the process of application development from the beginning. You'll also learn your development style and common problems that you have, so you can fix them to become a better developer.

Also, you should take a look at Google's summer of code. This sort of goes hand in hand with my first suggestion. You can find challenges on there that people have picked up. Though you can't participate in the program, you can write your own plugins that meet Google's challenges. There is a more advanced college one, and also a high school one with some more manageable tasks.

Hopefully that'll get you going. Let us know if you have any questions.

Andrew
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 June 2008 - 09:42 AM

thanks for your valuable comments. as u stated i already start posting suggestions on this forum. bt i havnt though abt writing tutorials. bt i will def give it a try.

google's summer of code was a really nice one...

Also abt Wordpress and joomla. i havnt used any of them yet. bt i think its time i start using thm..

Thanks again..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 June 2008 - 09:48 AM

Definitely learn the more popular applications. It'll really help make you more marketable. The other thing I forgot to mention is that you should start learning a Framework, such as Zend or CakePHP. Those are invaluable for helping to land a job. You could also start reading and studying for your Zend Certification.

That should be enough to keep you busy. Ha ha.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1