• (2 Pages)
  • +

16 Replies - 5428 Views - Last Post: 12 June 2008 - 04:26 AM Rate Topic: -----

• I Desire...
  • member icon

• View blog

SQL server ERROR?

Posted 09 June 2008 - 08:03 AM

Hello I've finally finished my project in JAVA and now out of boredom I try to learn vb.net along with SQL server 2005..

The problem is:

1. I open the SQL server management studio express..
2. A dialog box open.. and I set the server name.. "I Didn't typed it.." it was the only choice ..

3. Everytime I click the Connect I recieve the error below..

Posted Image

if the image not working.. see attachment..

:blink: I never used SQL server.. and I don't even know where to make the database there.. I read tutorials.. but it's all typing things.. I mean.. how will I create a big RDBMS with just typing codes to create tables and such..

1. is there a GUI that will let you design databases like access.. and vb6 database manager?

2. And forgive me for being such a n00b.. what is the file extension for a typical SQL database.. ? like in access.. its .mdb.. :blink: :blink:

and please don't tell me to write SQL commands like "create table and such.. " I already read about those.. I just can't imagine designing RDBMS with coding.. an IDE for SQL database would be better like access.. :D

Attached image(s)

• Attached Image

This post has been edited by mensahero: 09 June 2008 - 09:34 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: SQL server ERROR?

• I Desire...
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: SQL server ERROR?

Posted 09 June 2008 - 07:44 PM

!!!BUMP!!!.. :blink: am I the only one in the world who is lucky enough to suffer from the aforementioned problem.. :blink: :blink:

hmm.. Or maybe thats a sign.. It tells me I should not go into the darkside of the force (.net) instead continue using the force for the greater good (java)..

:blink: :blink: :blink: HELP :blink: :blink: :blink:

I see happy people here playing with their .net and SQL.. enjoying learning.. and when I tried it.. bammm.. an error pops up.. :blink:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 June 2008 - 07:54 PM

"Can't connect to server" is such a vague error, it's hard telling if your server is not responding, missconfigured, or blocking traffic at the firewall level.

Plus..... it says right in the error message "This can be caused by SQL having the default settings, which doesn't allow for remote connections." Have you changed this setting?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I Desire...
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 June 2008 - 08:19 PM

I'm really sorry.. I wasn't very informative.. but heres another information..

1. I'm not connecting to any server.. (IDK i'm using my own computer as a local server ) .. in the server name I didn't typed anything.. I choosed that name.. its the only choice.. FIREPLACE\SQLEXPRESS

2. Never did change any setting.. and I'm not connecting to anything remote..

3. If I can't use SQL server and VB.net in one computer.. then that just sucks.. :blink: I don't have any server pc to test SQL .. :blink:

4. I've noticed the red icon in the SQLexpress server and its says Stopped.. so I try to Start it like any other services.. now another error pops up..

"The request failed or the server doesn't respond in a timely fashion.. check the log.. something likethat" were could I possibly find the log file.. so that I could post it here?

This post has been edited by mensahero: 09 June 2008 - 08:25 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 June 2008 - 04:10 AM

Apparently you are trying to use SQL server management studio express without having SQLServer itself installed and running.
That is not going to work.
Install SQLServer (any version) and poke around in it.
And to get back to your original question: yes it does have a nice gui to build a database, create tables, and set all the details, etc.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I Desire...
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 June 2008 - 05:00 AM

Apparently you are trying to use SQL server management studio express without having SQLServer itself installed and running.
That is not going to work.
Install SQLServer (any version) and poke around in it.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR REPLYING.. I almost run out of hope.. :D

well here are the things related to SQL server that were installed in my system. I'm really thankful for your time helping me out.. :D :D

Posted Image

:blink: :blink:

Attached image(s)

• Attached Image

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Student of Life
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 June 2008 - 08:38 AM

A couple of things here. First you need to make sure that SQL Server is running.

Go to Start -> Sql Server 2005 -> Configuration tools -> Sql Sever Configuration Manager.

In the right pane, make sure SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS) is running (see screenshot, mine is not currently running). If it isn't, then right click on it and select Properties. Select the Service tab and change the start mode to Automatic. Now switch over to the Log On tab and click the Start button. This will start the Sql Server service.

The next thing is you need to make sure that Remote Connections is allowed.

Go to Start -> Sql Server 2005 -> Configuration tools -> Sql Sever Surface Area Configuration. Select the link for the Surface Area Configuration for Services and Connections. Under the Database Engine (click the little plus sign), select Remote Connections. Make sure that Local and Remote Connections is selected and Using both TCP/IP and Named Pipes. Click OK and exit the screens.

Now try and connect to Sql Server and let us know what happens.

Attached image(s)

• Attached Image

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I Desire...
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 June 2008 - 10:00 AM

Now we are talking.. thanks for giving your time in trying to help me with my miseries.. :D

I tried this one.. as you suggested..
Posted Image
Posted Image

Well I tried this.. an error again pops up..
Posted Image
Posted Image

Out of curiosity I tried click the outlined thing.. but as always .. an error pops up..
Posted Image
Posted Image

Now I've notice the configuration manager then I've tried starting it from there.. as always.. failed..
Posted Image

Out of all the failures so far.. I still hope that it will somewhat connect but still NOTHING.. FAILED.. :blink:
Posted Image

I got desperate.. I tried force starting it in the services.msc .. but it also FAILED.. :blink:
Posted Image
Posted Image

FAQs:

1. I'm 100% LOGGED ON as an ADMINISTRATOR..
2. I've searched and really searched the GOOGLE for possible fix.. until now.. no luck..
3. I often resolve my problems myself because I tend not to be dependent.. but this one is pretty hard..
4. If you want something.. anything.. I need to attached i'll do it immediately..
5. I tend to be informative as possible even though my post is getting pretty messy.. :crazy:
6. I'm a fast learner and can understand clear english instruction.. So don't hesitate.. if you want me to delete all files in my System32 folder.. if you think that would solve my problem.. I'll be happy to do it.. :blink:

7. If some of the above images are not loaded. I've attached it as an
archive file .zip .. see attachments below.. :blink:

THANKS A LOT FOR ALL THE EFFORTS IN HELPING ME OUT HERE.... I wish I could repay you guys with my life.. :blink: :blink:

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by mensahero: 10 June 2008 - 10:06 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Student of Life
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 June 2008 - 10:56 AM

Go to the Event Viewer and look up the error that is being generated.

Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer.

Look at the Application and System logs and post the error messages that you are getting.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I Desire...
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 June 2008 - 11:25 AM

This is first time i've used that event viewer and I'm not really sure what to do with it.. and what to look..
I've seen an export list button and exported the list of errors.. because posting them would be really messy..
:blink: :blink:

but heres a simple detail in one of the application error property..

UpdateUptimeRegKey: Operating system error 5(Access is denied.) encountered.

the whole error list is attached..

IDK if this is relevant or something.. but I've traced the error log in the SQL directory.. and file contains this..

2008-06-10 18:10:43.48 Server	  Microsoft SQL Server 2005 - 9.00.3042.00 (Intel X86) 
	Feb  9 2007 22:47:07 
	Copyright (c) 1988-2005 Microsoft Corporation
	Express Edition on Windows NT 5.1 (Build 2600: Service Pack 3, v.3244)

2008-06-10 18:10:43.48 Server	  (c) 2005 Microsoft Corporation.
2008-06-10 18:10:43.48 Server	  All rights reserved.
2008-06-10 18:10:43.48 Server	  Server process ID is 364.
2008-06-10 18:10:43.48 Server	  Authentication mode is WINDOWS-ONLY.
2008-06-10 18:10:43.48 Server	  Logging SQL Server messages in file 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\LOG\ERRORLOG'.
2008-06-10 18:10:43.48 Server	  This instance of SQL Server last reported using a process ID of 3716 at 6/10/2008 6:08:24 PM (local) 6/10/2008 10:08:24 AM (UTC). This is an informational message only; no user action is required.
2008-06-10 18:10:43.48 Server	  Registry startup parameters:
2008-06-10 18:10:43.48 Server		   -d C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\DATA\master.mdf
2008-06-10 18:10:43.48 Server		   -e C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\LOG\ERRORLOG
2008-06-10 18:10:43.48 Server		   -l C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\DATA\mastlog.ldf
2008-06-10 18:10:43.48 Server	  SQL Server is starting at normal priority base (=7). This is an informational message only. No user action is required.
2008-06-10 18:10:43.48 Server	  Detected 1 CPUs. This is an informational message; no user action is required.
2008-06-10 18:10:43.76 Server	  Using dynamic lock allocation.  Initial allocation of 2500 Lock blocks and 5000 Lock Owner blocks per node.  This is an informational message only.  No user action is required.
2008-06-10 18:10:43.82 Server	  Database mirroring has been enabled on this instance of SQL Server.
2008-06-10 18:10:43.84 spid5s	  Starting up database 'master'.
2008-06-10 18:10:43.84 spid5s	  Error: 5118, Severity: 16, State: 1.
2008-06-10 18:10:43.84 spid5s	  The file "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\DATA\master.mdf" is compressed but does not reside in a read-only database or filegroup. The file must be decompressed.
2008-06-10 18:10:43.84 spid5s	  The file "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\DATA\master.mdf" is compressed but does not reside in a read-only database or filegroup. The file must be decompressed.
2008-06-10 18:10:43.84 spid5s	  The file "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\DATA\mastlog.ldf" is compressed but does not reside in a read-only database or filegroup. The file must be decompressed.
2008-06-10 18:10:43.84 spid5s	  The file "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\DATA\mastlog.ldf" is compressed but does not reside in a read-only database or filegroup. The file must be decompressed.

enclosing them in code tags would hopefully make them less messy.. :blink:

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by mensahero: 10 June 2008 - 11:28 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Student of Life
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 June 2008 - 01:46 PM

Do you have Sql Server installed in a folder that is using compression?

Instructions on enabling/disabling folder compression.

1. In My Computer or Windows Explorer, right-click the file or folder to compress or decompress.

2. Click Properties to display the Properties dialog box.

3. On the General tab, click Advanced.

4. In the Advanced Attributes dialog box, select or clear the Compress contents to save disk space check box and then click OK.

5. In the Properties dialog box, click OK.

6. If the compression state was altered for a folder, in the Confirm Attribute Changes dialog box, select whether to make the compression apply only to the selected folder or to the selected folder and all its files and subfolders. Click OK when done.

Note Windows XP Professional can compress closed paging files. However, when you restart Windows XP Professional, the paging files revert to an uncompressed state. For information about paging files, see the topics on virtual memory in Windows XP Professional Help.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I Desire...
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 June 2008 - 10:11 PM

My drive C is not set to compress..
Posted Image

My program files is also not set to compress..
Posted Image

Lastly the folder where the SQL server resides..

Posted Image

1. I never use my DRIVE C: << were all my Dev apps reside.. as a paging file.. virtual memory..
2. And Yes I know how to setup paging file.. and I only use small part of my other partitioned drive "E" as
a paging file.. :D

Please don't give up on me.. :blink:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I Desire...
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2008 - 12:21 PM

After the whole day of fighting SQL SERVER for survival.. I finally gave up.. and decided to continue
learning JAVA.. :crazy: AFter the last minute.. An IDEA struck me..

WHY WHY WHY!!! THE SQL SERVER THING NOW WORKS...... :blink: :blink:

I'm now in the middle of the light and Dark side of the force.. JAVA or .NET.. :blink:

heres the solution for the above problem:

1. Uninstall all your SQL related files.. anything that has SQL in it..

2. Uninstall all .NET FRAMEWORK .. especially those with "3", "3.5", and "2 sp 1" ..

3. Download and install ".NET FRAMEWORK 2 " .. no sp1 or anything..

4. Download SQL SERVER 2005 then install..

5.. Download SQL Server management Studio then install..

IDK why.. but the problems lies within those frameworks.. :blink:
But still I'll probably re install all the updated frameworks. lmao.. :blink:

Thanks for those who help me.. I've learned a lot.. :D

and its 3:45 AM .. lmao.. I can finally get some rest.. :blink:

This post has been edited by mensahero: 11 June 2008 - 12:48 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2008 - 02:46 AM

I seriously doubt that downgrading from 3.5 to 2.0 is the solution.
I personally would try to change the order of installation: first the database, then the database tools, then the 3.5 .net framework.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I Desire...
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2008 - 03:23 AM

View PostTrogdor, on 12 Jun, 2008 - 02:46 AM, said:

I seriously doubt that downgrading from 3.5 to 2.0 is the solution.
I personally would try to change the order of installation: first the database, then the database tools, then the 3.5 .net framework.

Well heres the event.. why I concluded IMO.. the framework is causing the problem..

1. I uninstall the SQL SERVER and anything related to it..

2. I tried to REINSTALL the SQL SERVER and an error OCCURED..
Please reinstall .NET FRAMEWORK 2 .... blah blah blah.. something like that..

3. I downloaded .NET FRAMEWORK 2 sp1.. and try to install it.. but an error pops up..
this version of .net is not appropriate or compatible.. blahblahblah.. with your current framework
which is 3.5 ...

4. I reinstall all .NET FRAMEWORK and reinstall, .net framework 2 << without those sp..

5. I reinstall SQL SERVER.. and it install properly.. then run properly..

Well I did say I'll probably upgraded my framework again.. Because I know its not
the main problem.. but it has something to do with it..

Microsoft says.. SQL SERVER 2005 needs FRAMEWORK 2.. not framework 2 or higher.. not clear enough..
It also says.. remove all beta version, and reinstall your .net framework..

well I think if SQL SERVER 2005 now runs properly without any complication.. I'll probably
upgrade to .net framework 3.5 .. something to do with how chronological you do things..
microsoft's fault.. :blink: somethings need to be installed first.. it just sucks..

and YES its the order of installation.. :blink: weird ey..

This post has been edited by mensahero: 12 June 2008 - 03:24 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +