Thanks in Advance. Waiting for tutorials ! :online2long:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Tutorial Requests

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:57 PM

I know there are lots of tutorials for beginning python, but I have yet to come across anything like:
Why's Poignant Guide To Ruby
Only for Python3?

It's pretty much the only reason I learned Ruby. Although I later discovered I had no real use for ruby...

Really, any python tutorial that is in the same spirit as _why's book would probably be awesome.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:28 PM

I request a tutorial about hashing in Python
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:43 AM

This book is more than a tutorial, but I fully recommend it to anyone.

http://learnpythonthehardway.org/book
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 June 2015 - 04:37 PM

Is it possible to get a really basic tutorial for validating inputs in python? Like making sure strings are "YES" when they enter "YeS" or the user entered a positive integer and stuff like that? I'm very new to coding and it's something I'm confused with at the moment.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 13 July 2015 - 04:37 AM

View PostDoug9055, on 27 June 2015 - 12:37 AM, said:

Is it possible to get a really basic tutorial for validating inputs in python? Like making sure strings are "YES" when they enter "YeS" or the user entered a positive integer and stuff like that? I'm very new to coding and it's something I'm confused with at the moment.

Yes, change all stringtext to uppercase. Then just compare them. And for negative numbers check for less then 0
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2017 - 01:56 AM

I'd like to see a tutorial for pygames.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Pythonian
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 January 2017 - 09:20 AM

@ albert003: Do you have a particular game or task in mind?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 21 January 2017 - 03:05 PM

yes, I get how functions and classes work, but in every tutorial they just make a program basically saying 'do it this way' and I don't understand why. I'd like to see step by step why I need to use a function or a class that particular way to make the pygame program work.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pythonian
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 January 2017 - 01:16 AM

I have currently two tutorials in review; hopefully they will be approved (or returned for improvement) within a few weeks.

One is a small description of how to obtain images for video using a generator located in a module.
The other is a really detailed walk-through of the Matrix-Rain code.

I have prepared the code for a platform game (see screen-shot), but not finalized the text. This will include a wide variety of Pygame issues including: Collision detection, Userevents, Game-loops, Transforms, Event-handling and much more. It is a rather large tutorial, I might submit it in two parts. I think this tutorial will cover most of your needs.
It will be ready in a few days, but I don't want to 'spam' the review-team, so I might hold it back until the two submitted tutorials are in place.

Screen-shot from upcoming tutorial:Attached Image
EDIT: Spell errors corrected

This post has been edited by DK3250: 22 January 2017 - 01:19 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 March 2017 - 06:33 PM

Can someone provide a step by step example heavy guide to making a very crudely simple pygame (platform jumping to find a pineapple, avoiding the falling snowflakes, snake games, tetris, poker, something with a moderate to strong GUI). When I say step by step, I don't mean what each line means there are documentations for that, the implementations of functions and modules are what stump the average bear (me). I have surfed the internet for years looking at tutorials and maybe I am the odd egg out, but when I learn something I want to dig deep and grab onto what I'm learning about and really have my epiphany moment, without that I'm a fish out of water unfortunately. To give an example of what I am looking for,

class Player(sprite)  # Why sprite?  Why not just have all of the different 'actors' of the game in one file? O.o
# I assume that sprites have more 'self awareness' so to speak?
def __init__(): init must stand for initialize,... which leads me to believe it initializes with the pygame.init() but i'm not sure!
self.image = #image path
self.rect = #get rectangle borders, assumed for collision detection
# yada yada

class FallingObjects(sprite...)
def init():
#create image
#create rect border for collision detection
#yada

class main():

#imports

#variable instantiations

#while game loop

#listen for key presses/game exit

#logic for speed/direction/wins/losses/location of sprite spawn points/deletion of said sprites

As you can see, I'm not in my comfort zone with this. I'm not really trying to get deep into the game development field. Although, I would have no problem ending up there (WoW Horde for life KJ'US). I am really deeply motivated and passionately interested in learning how software communicates with other software, operating systems, how it is turned into machine code, how decompiler's work, how/what the kernel is (linux). I'm head over heels on that lady. I want to know and understand, that's why I usually code in notepad from scratch and compile with Windows Command Prompt. *End tangential rant* I figure that starting with a game which I can wrap my head around, which covers multiple aspects (input, output, GUI, graphics, sound, OOS) will be tremendously helpful.

I hope to have not offended anyone or broken any forum rules with this post I am an eager beaver, and my speak filter is broken.

To avoid any upset, I am not looking for a step by step, I understand things conceptually. I can look at a finished project and look at documentations/tutorials online and decipher/decode what certain things are doing or why they are there. I am looking for an in depth conceptual tutorial which explains things on a fundamental level. "Main object contains this: does this this and this with it. file2 = protagonist object: holds these properties/attributes and why file3 = antagonist object: holds these properties/attributes and why...... finally, why does the main object pass these arguments with these initialization's and why? 'why is having one file with many definitions less effective than having a main, protag, antag file that interact with eachother?'

This post has been edited by Zhme: 16 March 2017 - 06:38 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 March 2017 - 06:39 PM

What about the existing tutorials.. there are two called "Walk-Through a "Platform Game" made with Pygame" that seem nice.. as well as pygame's tutorials on their site.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pythonian
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 March 2017 - 01:30 AM

@Zhme: I'll be glad to help here. But please look through the existing tutorial first, Two on platform game, the one about Matrix Rain and the one about Game Loops.
The should all be helpful. One more tutorial is in review, about Buttons and Sliders in Pygame.

Topics covered by those tutorial are: Surface and Rect, including movements and collisions. Event-loop, User-event (input from mouse, keyboard), Use of Class objects and abstract Game class, Text on screen (Font and render), Transformations and much more.

Sure, many more topics could be covered: Rotations, Audio, etc.

I have made really many games, including most of those mentioned by you (and many more).
Turning them into tutorials, however, is often quite a job. I like to do it, but gradually.
Tell me which type of game you want the most.

Just one small comment.
I recommend that you entirely skip the Pygame build-in Sprite class. I find the Sprite class messy and inadequate, I never use it. You are much better off building your object yourself.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 March 2017 - 03:41 PM

Awesome platform game tutorials! I often get ahead of myself it seems. I will hold off on questions until I mull over the tutorials provided. Thank you DK3250 :]
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pythonian
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:40 AM

@Zhme: Your post #41 really started me. I found an old 'snake' game dated February 2015 and looked over the code. There was surprisingly much refactoring to do! But now I find the code nice and polished - I wonder how I will deem it 2 years in the future...

Screendump:
Posted Image

I have three versions:
1. Single Player (screenshot)
2. Dual Player,same PC
3. Dual Player, via network - can be played from two PC via internet.

I will start making a tutorial; this will probably take a week or so (for Single Player version), and the 2-4 weeks for review.
Dual Player and network version will have to wait for extra refactoring; I plan to submit it as part 2.

EDIT: I don't see the image, here is a link: https://www.dropbox.....30.12.png?dl=0
EDIT2: Ok - found a way to insert (a very small) picture...

This post has been edited by DK3250: 19 March 2017 - 10:43 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +