13 Replies - 1319 Views - Last Post: 18 June 2008 - 06:36 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

NEW BOY NEEDS HELP DESPERATELY

Post icon  Posted 17 June 2008 - 02:31 AM

HEY, I WANT TO MAKE A GAME, AND BASICALLY I DONT KNOW THAT MUCH, I HAVE TRIED READING UP AND IT SEEMS THE MOST POPULAR WAYS OF MAKING A GAME ARE THROUGH EITHER JAVA/FLASH/PYTHON.

WOT 1 IS THE BEST FOR SUM1 WHO IS JUST STARTIN OUT?

ALSO I WILL NOT NEED 3D AS I ONLY WANT TO MAKE AN INTERNET BASED FOOTBALL MANAGER GAME.

ANY HELP WOULD BE WELCOME.

THANKS AGAIN :^:

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: NEW BOY NEEDS HELP DESPERATELY

• code.rascal
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: NEW BOY NEEDS HELP DESPERATELY

Posted 17 June 2008 - 02:50 AM

I'd say just put the whole game idea on hold, and learn some programming and graphics editing just to get the hang of the whole thing.
Once you know the basics of any of the programming languages and algorithm design, then start again thinking about your game, and how to implement it.
Btw, welcome to DIC, and we all hope that you'll enjoy your stay here, but please have a look at the net etiquette, writing in all caps find some people quite rude.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 June 2008 - 02:54 AM

View Post1lacca, on 17 Jun, 2008 - 02:50 AM, said:

I'd say just put the whole game idea on hold, and learn some programming and graphics editing just to get the hang of the whole thing.
Once you know the basics of any of the programming languages and algorithm design, then start again thinking about your game, and how to implement it.
Btw, welcome to DIC, and we all hope that you'll enjoy your stay here, but please have a look at the net etiquette, writing in all caps find some people quite rude.

Sorry, nothing was meant by the capitals haha :)

So where would i be able to get information on learning to program and graphic editing and algorithm design? can u point me in the right direction?

Thanks
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• code.rascal
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 June 2008 - 03:43 AM

Right here at DIC :)
We have some tutorials and some pinned topics with resources.
There are some topics with book recommendations. If you only begin to program right now, then maybe buying a good book that teaches algorithm design and not just a language could be the best way to go. Check the recent (and older) topics here, we had several discussions about how to learn programming, and book and online tutorial recommendations.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 June 2008 - 03:48 AM

View Post1lacca, on 17 Jun, 2008 - 03:43 AM, said:

Right here at DIC :)
We have some tutorials and some pinned topics with resources.
There are some topics with book recommendations. If you only begin to program right now, then maybe buying a good book that teaches algorithm design and not just a language could be the best way to go. Check the recent (and older) topics here, we had several discussions about how to learn programming, and book and online tutorial recommendations.

Aww thats great !!

I have been reading about it and if i want to make an internet based function I.E (A football manager game) of a VERY basic level, for example you will see a name and have fixtures and the fixture results will be entered manually, i have been pointed in the direction of PHP and told that JAVA is better but to hard to learn straight off.

If i simply want to make an internet page where other people can register a team, with drop down menus and no real animation is needed.. What would be the best programming language for me?

PHP?
C++? ( Although from what i see, that is NOT internet based?)
JAVA?
VISUAL BASIC?

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 June 2008 - 05:07 AM

For that you might want to look at PHP. Java isn't too hard to learn, and learning the syntax will help you later if you ever want to move the C/C++ (Java is based off of C++). Plus, the syntax is quite similar to PHP, with a few differences. You'll also want to look into a database server. MySQL is the most popular.

You mentioned Python in your first post; that can be used on the internet with mod_python and/or FCGI, and with a framework like Django it can be very easy and fast. Hosting for Django/Python is usually expensive and hard to find though, due to the possible need for root user privileges on the server. I still would recommend learning Python, since it has easy syntax and is very flexible, but for an internet game, PHP and MySQL is probably your best bet.

This post has been edited by .Maleficus.: 17 June 2008 - 05:08 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• code.rascal
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 June 2008 - 05:24 AM

Yes, I would also suggest PHP. It is the easiest to integrate into HTML. Also, it is quite easy to setup a developer system at home.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 June 2008 - 05:26 AM

View Post.Maleficus., on 17 Jun, 2008 - 05:07 AM, said:

For that you might want to look at PHP. Java isn't too hard to learn, and learning the syntax will help you later if you ever want to move the C/C++ (Java is based off of C++). Plus, the syntax is quite similar to PHP, with a few differences. You'll also want to look into a database server. MySQL is the most popular.

You mentioned Python in your first post; that can be used on the internet with mod_python and/or FCGI, and with a framework like Django it can be very easy and fast. Hosting for Django/Python is usually expensive and hard to find though, due to the possible need for root user privileges on the server. I still would recommend learning Python, since it has easy syntax and is very flexible, but for an internet game, PHP and MySQL is probably your best bet.

o Right :) So its not just one program that does it, i need a combination for each aspect, thats cool :)

I was told programming is quite a good thing to get into, i mean is it something that is worth getting into?

I mean well basically if i master it, can i sit at home and earn money from it? lol
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 June 2008 - 05:41 AM

Yes you can.
But still it will be work, it will cost time and energy, and you need to get good at it.
Nothing comes for free.

Most guys here are into programming because they like it.
If you just seek a way to earn easy money i suggest you start a second hand car dealership or something like that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 June 2008 - 05:46 AM

View PostTrogdor, on 17 Jun, 2008 - 05:41 AM, said:

Yes you can.
But still it will be work, it will cost time and energy, and you need to get good at it.
Nothing comes for free.

If you just seek a way to earn easy money i suggest you start a second hand car dealership or something like that.

I didnt mean any disrespect by my comments, I mean i would never undervalue something that means something to someone.

You see, Im 19. Im an accountant, which is all great, but im trying to find another way of getting an income from which i can work at home outside obviously my 9-5 hours during the week, simply for extra money and obviously to learn something new, which i would never pass off the chance.

Everyone says that programming is well worth it, it is apparently quite interesting, i mean the fact that i could help design games !! or at least aid the process is extremly appealing.. Please respond

Also.. i would SUCK at a car salesman lol
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Wubba lubba dub dub!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 June 2008 - 05:46 AM

View PostTrogdor, on 17 Jun, 2008 - 06:41 AM, said:

:lol: and how true

This post has been edited by KYA: 17 June 2008 - 06:27 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 June 2008 - 06:07 AM

View PostKYA, on 17 Jun, 2008 - 05:46 AM, said:

View PostTrogdor, on 17 Jun, 2008 - 06:41 AM, said:

I didnt mean any disrespect by my comments, I mean i would never undervalue something that means something to someone.

You see, Im 19. Im an accountant, which is all great, but im trying to find another way of getting an income from which i can work at home outside obviously my 9-5 hours during the week, simply for extra money and obviously to learn something new, which i would never pass off the chance.

Everyone says that programming is well worth it, it is apparently quite interesting, i mean the fact that i could help design games !! or at least aid the process is extremly appealing.. Please respond

I didnt say i dont enjoy it, i have never done it so could

[/quote]

I didnt say i dont enjoy it, i have never done it so couldnt judge
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Wubba lubba dub dub!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 June 2008 - 06:28 AM

Appealing and doing it for the sake of money only are two different things. Life is short--spend it doing something you enjoy.

my 2c
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 June 2008 - 06:36 AM

If you like logic problems (like sudokus) or math then programing might be for you.
Give, for example, PHP a spin. It is what makes more then half of the internet go (including this forum). When learning PHP you should immediately also learn SQL (language to talk to databases) since PHP without database interface is ... well stopping at chapter 3 basically.

If you have a windows machine i can suggest you to try a WAMP installation package to get a webserver, php and a database going.
Oh, and a book on webdevelopment with php might be the best investment you ever make...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1