Need help defining concept and getting a cost estimate

Page 1 of 1

8 Replies - 887 Views - Last Post: 19 June 2008 - 10:40 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Web Radio Phone Bridge - multiple user web interface

Post icon  Posted 17 June 2008 - 01:53 PM

Hi folks!

So I need help in defining an idea and then getting a cost estimate. What I need to do is build a phone bridge for an online radio network that has many hosts spread out geographically, who use the Skype via the internet to receive calls on their show. They will need to be able to access an interface that will allow them to choose callers from a que, see the relevant data such as their name, the number they are calling from, the time they called, how long they've been on hold. I would also like to be able to send callers to various categories depending on the topics on the show, so category headers would have to be filled in at the beginning of each program. Further, I will need to be able to also program in various audio files at various time intervals. I would like this be a web interface with no software downloads for the user, much like Mogulus (www.mogulus.com) is a server side app.

Here is a quick concept diagram

Posted Image

Could this be done in flash? And also please feel free to refine the concept if you would like. I am having a little trouble describing what I need to happen here... so, yea.. thanks =)

This post has been edited by HankXavier: 17 June 2008 - 01:55 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Web Radio Phone Bridge - multiple user web interface

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Web Radio Phone Bridge - multiple user web interface

Posted 17 June 2008 - 02:05 PM

[rules][/rules]
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 June 2008 - 02:30 PM

View PostPsychoCoder, on 17 Jun, 2008 - 02:05 PM, said:

[rules][/rules]

I'm not asking for codework - I am asking for advise only, in fleshing out the CONCEPT and putting that concept into words that a programmer would understand so that I can then gather some cost estimates. That's all - no coding required.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 June 2008 - 04:31 PM

Think something like this could be done with the Skype API?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 June 2008 - 11:28 PM

Can someone please help me nail down the best approach here please... I don't need coding at this time. I just need help getting this idea in a form that is presentable to programmers so I can get some cost estimates... please. This is the first time I have ever considered hiring a developer... I really need some guidance....

thanks
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 June 2008 - 09:24 AM

Seriously?? No one can help me out here?? No one can help me put this into words...

wow... this sure is a closed community man
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Student of Life
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 June 2008 - 09:41 AM

Patience...you only just posted the topic yesterday and we all have lives, families, and jobs. So sometimes it can take a day or two to get an answer to your question.

I don't see anything wrong with the description you provided in the first post. Describe the project to the developer as you did in the first post and the developer will ask any relevant questions to flesh out any further details, if they are needed.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 June 2008 - 10:17 AM

((edit: Before anything - thank very much you for the response))

Well I don't even know how to go about getting the opportunity to talk to a developer that way. Like I said, this is my very first experience. I only know some basic html and css, have no experience in hiring a dev, and I don't want to be taken advantage of or given the run around...

I mean, I don't even know what languages a dev needs to know in order to accomplish this. I was kind of hoping that since this is development community, I could find some friendly people willing to help me out in hammering out the path forward toward a solution.

I have questions about the Skype API and Google Apps Engine also. I was wondering if this can be done via those services and if it can be chained to browser based interface like Mogulus.com has - I was also hoping to start getting some ballpark figures in terms of cost that I could then start to narrow down... like if I run into a dev that says I need $10k and you guys ballparked it at under a thousand... well I know that guy is scum and not to use him.

So I guess really I would just like to chat about my idea here with some people who know how to do these things...

Ps.
And let me just also say, and I don't know if this will earn me any "underground" kudos, but I have been considering making whatever I can come up with open source so others can benefit - or something like that - because the only reason I'm here is that another radio network in our genre has had this kind of app developed and they've kept a proprietary lock on it because it gives them a competitive edge over us. They will neither sell nor rent it to us, and in our field, which is activist media, that's a pretty scummy thing to do to folks supposed to be on your side.

I'm rambling... anyway, yea thanks

This post has been edited by HankXavier: 18 June 2008 - 10:28 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2008 - 10:40 AM

ok well thanks anyway - I guess I will have to go and ask somewhere else
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +