Where did you begin to learn programming?

Which language do you prefer and why?

• (4 Pages)
  • +

57 Replies - 9142 Views - Last Post: 29 July 2011 - 03:03 PM

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Where did you begin to learn programming?

Posted 19 June 2008 - 07:14 AM

Simply stated, each to their own.

I'll just take my smaller, faster, and more memory efficient code and go kick a can around in the corner :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2008 - 08:49 AM

Around 2 years ago I learned HTML, Javascript, PHP, SQL. Found PHP to be helpful for web development. I also learned Batch, and was hooked on that. After Batch I decided to move from interpreted languages to compiled languages. I learned C/C++ a year ago, which is still my favorite language. I also am learning Java, though i don't like it as much. One, C is faster than Java because there is no JRE middleman for C, Two, its more secure, since jars can easily be decompiled, and Three, because Java is so oop oriented that even hello world requires a class! It seems like a waste to me. I also still like batch because it is easy to write and has lots of power over the system. Though i don't see PHP as a programming language, i see it as a way to add interactivity on a web site. I also don't see why .NET is so wonderful. I understand its advantages, but don't really need those for my applications.

BTW, I learned all my programming online, mainly at three sites, one, the sun microsystems web site, two w3schools.com, and three, cplusplus.com. It defiantly has disadvantages to learn online, but its most convenient for me. And, of course, i can't forget DIC.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2008 - 11:12 AM

I started my programming with Basic. Decided that was too redundant and droped programming all together. Then back in 2000 while in the ITNA(Information Technology, Network Administration) program at the local community college i had to take a C programming language, thought it was cool and started into a programming degree.

My favorite languages would have to be C#.Net or Java probably mostly due to the fact i dont have to deal with pointers.

My worst? C++ simply because of Pointers. Ohh god! I just cant get my head wraped around the stupid * or & signs for pass byref or byval. one of these days i'll stifle my animosity toward pointers and dive back into my C++ books.

Ohh and if you want awsome reference books go get you some of the WOX serious. They are red with people on the front. Probably the best programming books i have ever read.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• class Me : Perfection
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2008 - 12:42 PM

I read a few books, but mainly i just made practice programs. When i started programming, VB was the language i learned. It is very easy and i would recommend any new programmer learn VB. Now, i use C#. To me, it provides a good balance of ease of use and power.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Segmentation fault
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2008 - 07:24 PM

View Postrgfirefly24, on 19 Jun, 2008 - 02:12 PM, said:

I started my programming with Basic. Decided that was too redundant and droped programming all together. Then back in 2000 while in the ITNA(Information Technology, Network Administration) program at the local community college i had to take a C programming language, thought it was cool and started into a programming degree.

My favorite languages would have to be C#.Net or Java probably mostly due to the fact i dont have to deal with pointers.

My worst? C++ simply because of Pointers. Ohh god! I just cant get my head wraped around the stupid * or & signs for pass byref or byval. one of these days i'll stifle my animosity toward pointers and dive back into my C++ books.

Ohh and if you want awsome reference books go get you some of the WOX serious. They are red with people on the front. Probably the best programming books i have ever read.

Java has "pointers" (dunno about C#), they're just hidden from the programmer. Makes it incredibly annoying once you know how and are used to using pointers. :v:

Doesn't C++ have the "new" and "delete" commands? The only thing I ever really use pointers is for allocating memory to structures on the fly.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Segmentation fault
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2008 - 07:33 PM

Edit: haha nevermind

This post has been edited by Tom9729: 19 June 2008 - 07:35 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2008 - 07:41 PM

@ the 7 lines of code madness

Holy shit!

Do people just do that for fun? All of it looked like brainfuck :) I hope no one codes like that on a professional project ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 June 2008 - 03:02 AM

I started with machine language -- not even assembler. I think everyone should, as I meet lots of developers who don't know how computers actually work yet insist they can write great code. Pointers are no problem--they're very intuitive, in fact--if you've started with a lower-level language.

I also think that programming students shouldn't worry about which language they're learning. They don't know what they're talking about yet, and they're just getting drawn into all the unhealthy religious wars about languages (like the one that's brewing in this thread--even if only in jest).

This post has been edited by mikeblas: 20 June 2008 - 03:04 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g+ + -o drink whiskey.cpp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 June 2008 - 05:22 AM

I started programming with ordered punch cards - we had to schedule time to run a program, and if you had an error, you went back to the end of the line. Encouraged up-front validation. ;)

In some ways, I agree with mikeblas...I had to do several assembly level languages in order to program interfaces between hardware and software - it taught me a lot (including that if I had to program assembly for a living I'd shoot myself in the face). that has always been one of my quibbles with the increasing use of IDEs and 'drag and drop' application IDEs...while an extremely useful tool for accomplished programmers, it also allows for developers to create applications without fully knowing what each component is doing.

That being said, I have no problem with their use at all - the speed up application development and make programming accessible to a wider segment of people (which I think is great). I just prefer people to have a lower level understanding of what's actually going on. Anyone can write cout<<"Hello World"<<endl;, but a decided ly smaller set of programmers could explain to you how that translates from keystrokes to implementation.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• GabehabeSwamp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 June 2008 - 06:01 AM

I started with HTML and batch scripts. Granted it's nothing impressive, but the batch scripts were enough to bypass all security at school and delete/modify accounts. FUNFUNFUN.

I got into C++ because I really like the idea of making a game - I think most people would agree, to be honest ;)

And that DVD encryption is amazing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 June 2008 - 06:29 AM

i started learning Java,i did had some previous experience with Vb.net and Pascal but didn't learn that much.Currently,in order to learn Java i am both following some internet tutorials and books
Java is good :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 June 2008 - 07:33 AM

APPEND @MYEARLIERPOST: kinda like gabehabe, after school, DOS hacking school computers, fun, fun, fun. I almost got caught once, but got out on a loophole. I like loopholes. And BTW: holy crap, machine code!? anyone who has time for that...I won't go there.

And the DVD encryption... You can code all programs on about three or so lines if you want, though I hope i never have to decipher that program or the dvd one...
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;
int main() cout<<"hello world", return 0, system("pause");

This post has been edited by polymath: 21 June 2008 - 07:36 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• GabehabeSwamp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 June 2008 - 02:51 PM

Don't you mean:
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;int main() {cout<<"hello world"; cin.get(); return EXIT_SUCCESS;}

:wink:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 June 2008 - 06:27 PM

whops!
You're right!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 June 2008 - 06:37 PM

I got started with HTML a few years ago.... recently i've picked up PHP (less then a year so far, but doing very well with it), and i've moved on to Flex lately... made an entire chat system on it, adding things as I go along...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +