How to Start Developing ?

I know some C++ but not how to put it to practice. Where to start ?

Page 1 of 1

11 Replies - 3353 Views - Last Post: 23 June 2008 - 12:13 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

How to Start Developing ?

Post icon  Posted 19 June 2008 - 08:46 AM

I just finished my programming course in 12th grade with C++. I know a significant lot about C++ (not vectors and GUI though). But, I've never programmed anything serious for a platform.

All I currently know is to program basic apps like bank application and all in Turbo C++. My school did the mistake of teaching us Turbo C++ which is pretty old.

Please tell me where to start serious programming for Windows/Linux. I prefer Windows since its easier.

These are my questions :-
  • Which IDE should I use ?
  • Where can I get some good code to read (at my level) ?
  • Is Turbo C++ different from other IDEs ?
  • Do I need to learn anything more to start off ?

Pls give me a detailed answer. Very very thanks in advance. Pls help me.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How to Start Developing ?

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How to Start Developing ?

Posted 19 June 2008 - 09:13 AM

It all depends on your implementation. You need a problem/task (depends if you're programming for you or someone else, first/second respectively). In general for windows, though:

IDE: Since you're using windows, I'd use Visual C++ 2008 Express, easy to use, free, good tutorials on the interface on the 'net, and easy to find (matter of fact I have one to get used to the interface if you like, though its aimed towards beginners, not intermediate/expert level programmers), and has the windows feel. Easy to develop windows apps for it. Dev-C++ also is extremely easy to update, and can automatically install aftermarket libraries for you.

CODE: Right here at dream.in.code is a good mix of code snippets, though google should find you plenty of stuff. This is the part thats most dependent on your implementation.

TURBO-C++: Not sure, as i've never used it, but i can tell you that all of the IDE's I've used require projects, and each has their own way of adding resources. Each one is a little diferant, though the IDE you use comes down to personal preference. They all have their own feel, but they are similar in function.

LEARNING: Not sure about this one, this also extremely depends on your implementation, so please elaborate. Everything for a solution is born from the problem. If you need to program GUIs you need to learn an API. For games, you need to have a game graphics library. If you want to make console applications to do rudimentary tasks all you have to do is get extremely familiar with the language and figure out how to solve your problem (pseudocode helps with this).

Thats all I have, I'll give you more if you tell more. Oh, and one more note on VC++, It supports C++ .NET programming, if you're into that sort of thing. I can't help you any more with .NET though. Be aware that you may have to update your compiler later if you want to comply with the cpp0x standard that's supposed to come out soon.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• GabehabeSwamp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2008 - 01:02 PM

My favourite IDE is Code::Blocks the tools on it are really useful. I know a lot of people (including poly) like Visual Studio, but I personally don't like it~ I only really use it if I have a need for MFC [which is rare]

Some of the snippets and tutorials here are awesome... I even wrote a few ;)

My contributions I've written a few tutorials about the algorithm header, which has some nice features that can be used on vectors. [they're really simple, don't worry] :)

My pinned topic here has a huge list of C++ tutorials, for all levels.
Another one of my pinned topics for programming challenges.

Turbo C++ I don't really know about, but I think it's a bit crap judging by some of the stuff I've read. Sorry I can't give you more advice on this, but I'm sure some others can :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2008 - 02:25 PM

Code::Blocks by far IMHO is the best free C/C++ IDE out there and it is cross platform compatible. See my tutorial on installing on Linux. :)

This post has been edited by Nykc: 19 June 2008 - 02:26 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2008 - 06:34 PM

View Posttechroach, on 19 Jun, 2008 - 07:46 AM, said:

I just finished my programming course in 12th grade with C++. I know a significant lot about C++ (not vectors and GUI though). But, I've never programmed anything serious for a platform.

All I currently know is to program basic apps like bank application and all in Turbo C++. My school did the mistake of teaching us Turbo C++ which is pretty old.

Please tell me where to start serious programming for Windows/Linux. I prefer Windows since its easier.

These are my questions :-
  • Which IDE should I use ?
  • Where can I get some good code to read (at my level) ?
  • Is Turbo C++ different from other IDEs ?
  • Do I need to learn anything more to start off ?
Pls give me a detailed answer. Very very thanks in advance. Pls help me.

If you want to keep learning, go to This Site. Its a good resource.

Also, Visual Studio Express editions are free, and have a nice clean coding environment.

Dev C++ is good also. Code::Blocks is an option also... So many possibilities. :P
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 June 2008 - 06:46 AM

OK people, don't go advertising your favorite IDE now... Click on all of our contributions. Then, click on PsychoCoder's :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 June 2008 - 08:59 PM

View Postpolymath, on 21 Jun, 2008 - 06:46 AM, said:

OK people, don't go advertising your favorite IDE now... Click on all of our contributions. Then, click on PsychoCoder's :)

:P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Wubba lubba dub dub!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 June 2008 - 12:58 AM

View Postpolymath, on 21 Jun, 2008 - 07:46 AM, said:

None of his tutorials are on C++. Just FYI. C# is similar, but has more things that plain C++ does not have. I wouldn't go into the C# forum and brag there--that would be ridiculously pretentious of me.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 June 2008 - 04:17 AM

Thanks guys. I'm trying these out right now. And, I'm looking for other tutorials from this site and also the snippet sections. Looks interesting. Thanks for the help guys.

So, anybody else has any opinions ?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 June 2008 - 05:53 AM

Very well, I shall be an odd ball and throw my hat in to the ring...

Which IDE should I use ?
Hmm... I would recommend none! Personally, I am not a fan of 100% IDE driven development. All of the above GDIs are just wrappers around compiler. While yes, they can do some really nice things, they can make certain things harder.

Things that are harder (depends on GDI)
- Don't give you complete control over compiler switches
- You have to add all your files to the projects
- Adding external libraries & similar is more convoluted
- Tend to have a lot of extra boxes and such on the screen that reduces the size of your actual code window
- Tend to promote bad file structures
- Make cross platform development harder

All you need to start programming is a compiler, your text editor of choice (which IDEs are basically just glorified text editors), and the command prompt.

With that being said, this is my favorite text editor of choice
http://www.crimsoneditor.com/

I believe that you should currently be focused on learning the actual C and C++ syntax, and not learning a new IDE. While it's great that you took a class in high school, in my personal experience, those type of class are very lack luster. I took a high school programming class as well; however, I knew far more then the teacher.

Take this line for example
int *(*(*foo)[3][5])[4];

Can you actually translate that to English? I hope you never have to deal with anything like that, but it doesn't hurt to be able to read and actually understand what it means.

Another good test would be to replicate all of string.h.

If you actually do take the non GDI route, you will find that it is far simpler to just jump into a GDI. Plus, debugging without a fancy GDI will be an excellent learning tool (printf() is your friend!).

Where can I get some good code to read (at my level) ?
You didn't really define your level of coding, but I'm sure you can find some decent examples here. There is a snippet section and "Discuss Project" forum after all.

Is Turbo C++ different from other IDEs ?
From my experience, Turbo C++ has the best C++ GUI interface designer. The only other IDE that has a similar feature (that I know of), is Visual Studio; however, it isn't nearly as nice as the Borland build. Turbo C++ is great if you want to slap a quick and dirty GUI on a application, but beyond that, I don't think it's very useful.

Do I need to learn anything more to start off ?
As I stressed in the IDE section, learning your basic C/C++ syntax is very important. I would actually recommend focusing on C syntax, and then moving up to C++ syntax. C++ is a super set of C. C++ has the exact same syntax as C (except for some void * stuff), with a few additional features thrown in.

Edit: Note: I forgot to mention this, but I believe it is very important to compile with maximum warnings turned on (except for the MS compiler), since that will point out a lot of your actual errors.

This post has been edited by Cerolobo: 22 June 2008 - 06:31 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• GabehabeSwamp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 June 2008 - 06:04 AM

You rock, Cerolobo :wub:

This post has been edited by gabehabe: 22 June 2008 - 06:05 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0