How long before it's acceptable?

Page 1 of 1

7 Replies - 958 Views - Last Post: 19 June 2008 - 10:17 PM

• Banned
  • member icon

• View blog

Job Browsing

Posted 19 June 2008 - 01:31 PM

Well, I took this job that I currently have about 2 years ago, and I knew at the time that I didn't want to stay in this job for any extended amount of time before I took it. I was wondering, how long of a time frame do you normally use as a good judge before looking for another job? This job I took as I was not in a computer field and was just doing temporary labor jobs just before taking this job as my contract ended on a previous position. Because I have a steady job now, I'm looking aggressively and for a job that would be a fit better in the programming community and utilizing my skills as I don't like having to look for jobs in the first place, and once I find one this time I want it to be one that I can turn into a career.

Any suggestions on the topic? Not looking for site names of where to look, I'm doing that now, but just your experience in the past / present about job seeking and/or desperation in taking a job that isn't a fit with what you can do.

This post has been edited by tody4me: 19 June 2008 - 01:31 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Job Browsing

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Job Browsing

Posted 19 June 2008 - 01:40 PM

Moving to the "Corner Cubicle"

I'm always looking for something better. I don't want to get a reputation for bouncing from job to job, but if something else comes along, I don't want to miss it because I wasn't looking.

2 years is more than enough for your employer, don't feel guilty about looking.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Banned
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2008 - 02:16 PM

That's what I would have thought, but wasn't sure. I've written the master program entailing everything that they wanted to begin with, and then some, plus a lot more functionality and flexibility, it's been done now for at least 6 months, and the technical portion of the job can be handled by the customer service person for 95% of the calls, so even if I did leave abruptly (giving 2 weeks) they could handle it until someone else came on board.

This post has been edited by tody4me: 19 June 2008 - 02:16 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2008 - 09:50 PM

I took a job about a month ago and 2 days after I started, had an interview for another, higher paying job. Went, got a second interview and on the spot third...nailed all of them and now have a job offer from them. I'm still under probabtion and was hired by the first company as an "At-Will" employee meaning they can let me go at any time for any reason, stated or not. Also stated in writing that I could leave at any time during the probation period if I didn't like the environment, or without reason...seems reasonable enough to me. I've done everything they want and more with regards to their database. Shady? A little...but you gotta think with a business mindset. They'll dump you in a second if they don't think you're worth it...and you should do the same. It's just business...but don't burn your bridges either.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2008 - 09:56 PM

It never hurts to know what your options are.

It's possible that if you put in your notice because a place has offered you more money, or a better position, that your current job could counter the offer.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2008 - 10:05 PM

View Postno2pencil, on 19 Jun, 2008 - 09:56 PM, said:

It never hurts to know what your options are.

It's possible that if you put in your notice because a place has offered you more money, or a better position, that your current job could counter the offer.

I've thought about that...but the difference is going from a small firm making $47,500 to starting $60,000 at a governmental agency. I don't think they'll be able to match it, even if they wanted to.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2008 - 10:09 PM

View Postsouptoy, on 20 Jun, 2008 - 01:05 AM, said:

but the difference is going from a small firm making $47,500 to starting $60,000 at a governmental agency. I don't think they'll be able to match it, even if they wanted to.

I don't see why you should care if they can or can't. Either way you get the $60k. Or maybe they give you $55 & 2 extra weeks paid vacation. You can always use your benefits as leverage too.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2008 - 10:17 PM

View Postno2pencil, on 19 Jun, 2008 - 10:09 PM, said:

View Postsouptoy, on 20 Jun, 2008 - 01:05 AM, said:

but the difference is going from a small firm making $47,500 to starting $60,000 at a governmental agency. I don't think they'll be able to match it, even if they wanted to.

I don't see why you should care if they can or can't. Either way you get the $60k. Or maybe they give you $55 & 2 extra weeks paid vacation. You can always use your benefits as leverage too.

Retirement with government = win imo. Plus there's an on-site gym!!
Work day is M-Th 10 hours with 3 day weekends++ ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1