Software & Web Developer Salaries

an Anonymous Survey

• (4 Pages)
  • +

49 Replies - 9434 Views - Last Post: 17 July 2013 - 05:47 PM

Poll: How Much Do You Make? (Anonymous) (79 member(s) have cast votes)

Software Developer/Web Developer

1. $25,000-$35,000 (17 votes [21.52%])

Percentage of vote: 21.52%

2. $35,000-$45,000 (11 votes [13.92%])

Percentage of vote: 13.92%

3. $45,000-$55,000 (22 votes [27.85%])

Percentage of vote: 27.85%

4. $55,000-$65,000 (8 votes [10.13%])

Percentage of vote: 10.13%

5. $65,000-$75,000 (3 votes [3.80%])

Percentage of vote: 3.80%

6. $75,000-$85,000 (7 votes [8.86%])

Percentage of vote: 8.86%

7. $85,000-$95,000 (6 votes [7.59%])

Percentage of vote: 7.59%

8. $95,000-$100,000+ (5 votes [6.33%])

Percentage of vote: 6.33%

Vote

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Software & Web Developer Salaries

Posted 24 June 2008 - 06:37 AM

Technically, I'm not a programmer. I'm actually an Industrial Engineer. Currently, I'm making about 37k a year, before taxes, as an intern. Currently, I'm in charge of creating web-based database solutions using asp.net. However, in my previous jobs I've made a similar amount (29k/31k) working in Java on rational functional tester.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 June 2008 - 06:59 AM

Application Developer - Government - ~46k plus ridiculous Benies'

.NET developing with a lot of SQL. I bounce between VB(existing) and C# (newer stuff).

I am in rural(relatively) mid-west where Cost of Living is pretty low so take that into account.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Bastard Operator From Hell
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 June 2008 - 12:05 PM

C and PHP developer here I do some unix administration there, the agreed price was between 30-35k for 6 months. depends how much work I do.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#34 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 June 2008 - 12:14 PM

View PostMr_Mom, on 24 Jun, 2008 - 08:59 AM, said:

Application Developer - Government - ~46k plus ridiculous Benies'

.NET developing with a lot of SQL. I bounce between VB(existing) and C# (newer stuff).

I am in rural(relatively) mid-west where Cost of Living is pretty low so take that into account.

how rural midwest are you talking about? Nebraska here...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 June 2008 - 12:43 PM

modi123_1 --> Southwestern Wisconsin. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 June 2008 - 12:48 PM

View Postgirasquid, on 20 Jun, 2008 - 11:16 AM, said:

I'm a developer, working with ASP.Net. I tend to build custom web applications and DotNetNuke modules, for the most part. I'm making 33k/year CAD, and just like programming4life, that's also on a steady incline.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you land the position with no education or certs? Maybe because it's a web development position? Know someone who worked for the company? Lots of projects you could show your current employer?

The reason I ask is I'm technically out of money for college, so I've only got about 2 years of school done with no certs and want to get into a software development position. Maybe they're more strict with software development positions and degrees/experience? I'd really like to get a full time job doing software development while continuing my education part-time but it seems that everywhere I look has steep requirements, so I love to hear stories of how people made it with no degree currently.

That goes for everyone else too, if they'd like to share stories about how they managed it. Maybe this requires a new thread so I don't thread-jack?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 June 2008 - 11:43 AM

I've only been in my current position for a couple of weeks.

My title is "Web Administrator."
I work for a big public university, for the dean of the engineering college thereof.

I do a some web-page development, and a little backend coding in ColdFusion and SQL, but not very much-- the job is mostly administrative, of course, but requires a computer science background for the technical part, which is about a quarter of it.

A lot of what I do is making sure the departmental webmasters are in compliance with university standards, and making "technology adoption initiative" decisions.
Oh yeah, and I go to a lot of management meetings.

So, for the most part I'm a "We want this done, figure out how to do it," guy.

It pays right around $45k, but with the potential for a lot more in the near future. Plus, you can't beat the benefits, since I'm both a state employee, with everything that comes with, and also a higher ed employee, which means free grad school. I have my own office, salary pay, and no supervisor, which is priceless. Once the deliverables are in place, I can take that long lunch I always used to wish I had. All in all, not bad for a bachelor's degree and only a couple years experience.

Right before, I was a "Systems Programmer" for an online retailer of college textbooks. All I did was program- in PHP, PERL, and C#, mostly. I lived in a cubicle and punched a clock, and made half of what I'm making now, overtime included. I miss it sometimes. :(

So my salary is moderate, but the intangibles are worth even more, at least, to me.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• CTO
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 June 2008 - 03:07 AM

View PostPsychoCoder, on 19 Jun, 2008 - 07:31 PM, said:

As Lead and "Director of IT" (funny title for a company with 11 employees LOL) I make above the average salary (I'm one of the ones that scew(sp) salary averages/surveys). I currently make a shade over $98,500 a year (hey remember, Ive been doing this a long time) and am responsible for all coding decisions, all hardware decisions and am also the lead developer

I recently turned down a Senior developer position that paid around $104K per year and, based what you've written in a past post, I have a lot less experience than you do (I'm several years younger). Given your experience and your job title, you should ask for more money.

This post has been edited by Programmist: 27 June 2008 - 03:19 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 05 July 2008 - 10:42 AM

I love to hear stories of how people made it with no degree currently.

I'm going into my senior year of high school. I have a job/internship working for a large company (what you would call an "enterprise" environment). My title would be "Associate Software Engineer". I work on quite a variety of applications, using everything from C++ to Java/Spring/JSF to Python scripts.

I'm employed as a contractor, and get paid hourly though an agency. Right now I'm on summer break, so I work about 40 hours a week - during school I will work 20, thanks to the work exit program at my school (I get out early for real world experience).

As for my pay - at 40 hours a week I land just shy of 40,000 a year.

Yeah - I knew someone at the company :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 July 2008 - 09:05 AM

View Postbaavgai, on 20 Jun, 2008 - 05:24 PM, said:

People are a pain, programming is fun. Getting paid to do fun is really where it's at. ;)

haha..true true
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 July 2008 - 09:19 AM

View PostProgrammist, on 27 Jun, 2008 - 03:07 AM, said:

I recently turned down a Senior developer position that paid around $104K per year and, based what you've written in a past post, I have a lot less experience than you do (I'm several years younger). Given your experience and your job title, you should ask for more money.

I've thought about it, but the owner is a friend of mine, and I get that pay for working from home remotely, if I were to agree to work in the office I would definitely get more. I had to weigh more money against my freedom and family time
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 July 2008 - 09:25 AM

View PostPsychoCoder, on 11 Jul, 2008 - 11:19 AM, said:

I've thought about it, but the owner is a friend of mine, and I get that pay for working from home remotely, if I were to agree to work in the office I would definitely get more. I had to weigh more money against my freedom and family time

Excellent Choice!! :^:

Not that you needed my approval.... :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 July 2008 - 10:51 PM

View PostPsychoCoder, on 11 Jul, 2008 - 12:19 PM, said:

Now that is a sweet deal. How often do you have to go into the office, if at all? And if you do is it sporadic or on a schedule?

The reason I ask, well I wish I could put hours in remotely with lots of freedom and only scheduled times to go into the office if I had to at all. I would do lots of traveling if I could.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 July 2008 - 02:00 PM

I'm a "Software Developer" or "Junior Programmer". I'm one of only two programmers, the other being "Senior Programmer", in a small software company of 16 people. I do maintenance (older VB6 apps) and some new development in C#. I've been with the company since I graduated college (1.5 years). I work completely from my home and make 54k / year USD.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 July 2008 - 08:17 AM

New to the trade, no experience, not done with college, and going for a non-programming/web-dev degree, I make 27,5/year, salary, with outstanding benefits. I had only anticipated an internship when I got the lead, from (and I'm not ashamed of this) my brother. Much to both of our surprise, after two months of diligently waiting for a final answer, the company decided to offer me an entry level salary position with full benefits about two months ago. Those benefits valuing about another 10-15k/year.
So, while I'm on the low end of the pay scale right now, I have the following factors in my corner.

-Employed by an Inc5000 company...
-that's also been recognized in several publications for excellence in the industry
-microsoft gold certified partner (including myself by association :P )
-HDVL Insurance +education reimbursement
-100% vested 401k
-4 weeks/year to tend to my own crap
-all the support a budding developer could hope for in a company

And, I pretty much get paid to do whatever will teach me on site, making my life pretty freaking sweet, aside from still being a bit broke and juggling the learning of 4-8 technologies at any given time(remember, I'm still in school).

~malignant
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +