5 Replies - 1205 Views - Last Post: 23 June 2008 - 06:13 AM

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Adobe Flex

Posted 21 June 2008 - 08:06 PM

i'm curios as to how many people here have started to use Flex Builder to make Rich Internet Applications...

Recently i've taken to learning it, and once you get the hang of it, it becomes pretty easy... I've produced a login system and a chat system in somewhat less then 2 weeks, and I feel pretty confident with the coding...

so my questions to everyone are: How long have you been using flex (if any), and how useful is it? Is it actually used in a workplace, or is it useless in the real world?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Adobe Flex

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Adobe Flex

Posted 21 June 2008 - 10:03 PM

To be honest I haven't used it whatso ever, granted I don't exactly go to the workspace. But the adobe web designers I know (2 of them) both use just Flash to create their internet apps. If flex were free I would probably use it, but as it isn't, and doesn't come with the adobe package that I tend to be interested in (web design) I haven't used it.

I believe that flash is capable of doing everything that flex can (though I could be wrong adn would like some clarification on this).

for the most part, my thoughts are that it is pretty useless (unless it hasa better AS system than flash, but I think they have the same AS systems, so ya...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 June 2008 - 11:24 AM

yeah, they are very similar... flex is used more for making entire systems then just an SWF file though... it also seems a lot easier to me to use..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 June 2008 - 04:52 PM

Hm, I may have to download the trial at some point.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 June 2008 - 09:31 PM

Flex is nice. But its true anything in flex can be done in flash. The diffrence is who they are marketed at. Flex is more aimed at coders. While flash is aimed at designers. Flex used to be the better of the 2. Back when flash was using action scripts 2 and flex using 3 but since the release of CS3 there really is no need for flex.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 June 2008 - 06:13 AM

Flex is open source where flash is proprietary basically.

If you know anyone with a school ID you can get Flex-pro 3 free with a perpetual license from Adobe. The Adobe version is about $700 otherwise but as stated at Adobe, it is an open source package.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1