1 Replies - 14830 Views - Last Post: 23 June 2008 - 01:16 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

TCP/IP - Multiple connections

Post icon  Posted 22 June 2008 - 11:17 PM

I'm working on setting up a server/multi-client chat (and eventually file share and browsing) app.

My only concern was dealing with multiple connections to the server. During my last experience with setting up multiple connections I ran into a lot of trouble in how to handle each separate connection.

Basically - is there a way to deal with multiple connection over a single port or do each have to be on a different one? I just seemed to me that I was doing wrong seeing as having a grip of ports wide open like that can't be a good idea.

Thoughts? Suggestions? I looked around and couldn't find very much about ways to deal with this.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: TCP/IP - Multiple connections

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: TCP/IP - Multiple connections

Posted 23 June 2008 - 01:16 PM

View PostAntiokus, on 23 Jun, 2008 - 01:17 AM, said:

I'm working on setting up a server/multi-client chat (and eventually file share and browsing) app.

My only concern was dealing with multiple connections to the server. During my last experience with setting up multiple connections I ran into a lot of trouble in how to handle each separate connection.

Basically - is there a way to deal with multiple connection over a single port or do each have to be on a different one? I just seemed to me that I was doing wrong seeing as having a grip of ports wide open like that can't be a good idea.

Thoughts? Suggestions? I looked around and couldn't find very much about ways to deal with this.

It seems the TCPListener class takes care of multiple connections to the same port.

http://msdn.microsof...cplistener.aspx

I haven't delt with it in a long time, but I remember it working with the multiple connections to the same port nicely.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1