Hex editors

  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2

16 Replies - 2621 Views - Last Post: 01 July 2008 - 12:20 PM

#1 Tom9729  Icon User is offline

  • Segmentation fault
  • member icon

Reputation: 181
  • View blog
  • Posts: 2,642
  • Joined: 30-December 07

Hex editors

Posted 23 June 2008 - 11:50 PM

I just figured out how to use a hex editor. Sad, I know!

I'm exploring the TGA image format now. Gotta learn how to generate these things on the fly you know. :unsure:

Anyone else up late working on something?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Hex editors

#2 BetaWar  Icon User is offline

  • #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

Reputation: 1485
  • View blog
  • Posts: 8,204
  • Joined: 07-September 06

Re: Hex editors

Posted 23 June 2008 - 11:54 PM

Ya, I just got done creating a flash component before I got on DIC. Everything is working great, but the sad thing is that the stupid tooltips cause it to freak out every so often. If it weren't for them I would be more than pleased with my creation.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 Tom9729  Icon User is offline

  • Segmentation fault
  • member icon

Reputation: 181
  • View blog
  • Posts: 2,642
  • Joined: 30-December 07

Re: Hex editors

Posted 23 June 2008 - 11:56 PM

I've never really liked tooltips. They always popup when you don't want them to, but are sadly absent when you actually need them.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 no2pencil  Icon User is offline

  • Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

Reputation: 6552
  • View blog
  • Posts: 30,682
  • Joined: 10-May 07

Re: Hex editors

Posted 23 June 2008 - 11:56 PM

View PostTom9729, on 24 Jun, 2008 - 02:50 AM, said:

Anyone else up late working on something?

Always... I work 3rd shift.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 Tom9729  Icon User is offline

  • Segmentation fault
  • member icon

Reputation: 181
  • View blog
  • Posts: 2,642
  • Joined: 30-December 07

Re: Hex editors

Posted 24 June 2008 - 12:11 AM

View Postno2pencil, on 24 Jun, 2008 - 02:56 AM, said:

View PostTom9729, on 24 Jun, 2008 - 02:50 AM, said:

Anyone else up late working on something?

Always... I work 3rd shift.

I see you on AIM a lot, but you always have a "Sorry I am working" away message up.

Take a vacation. :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 no2pencil  Icon User is offline

  • Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

Reputation: 6552
  • View blog
  • Posts: 30,682
  • Joined: 10-May 07

Re: Hex editors

Posted 24 June 2008 - 12:40 AM

View PostTom9729, on 24 Jun, 2008 - 02:50 AM, said:

I see you on AIM a lot, but you always have a "Sorry I am working" away message up.

That's at my office, it sits on idle about 99% of the time.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 ZachR  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head
  • member icon

Reputation: 2
  • View blog
  • Posts: 126
  • Joined: 15-June 08

Re: Hex editors

Posted 24 June 2008 - 01:29 AM

View PostTom9729, on 23 Jun, 2008 - 11:50 PM, said:

I just figured out how to use a hex editor. Sad, I know!

I'm exploring the TGA image format now. Gotta learn how to generate these things on the fly you know. :unsure:

Anyone else up late working on something?

Hex Editors are fun. B)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 polymath  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

Reputation: 53
  • View blog
  • Posts: 670
  • Joined: 04-April 08

Re: Hex editors

Posted 26 June 2008 - 11:06 AM

TGA as in the TARGA format used in most video games? Reminds me of when I programmed triggers and did 3D modeling in Warcraft. Converting .tga to .blp (blizzardpicture) is a big pain, especially because blps have to be square. Lots of photoshoping to get the photos to fit the myriad constraints to work effectivly. Man, that game has the most effective mapbuilder around. You can re-engineer the game if you want to.

I'll shut up now.

This post has been edited by polymath: 26 June 2008 - 11:06 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 jacobjordan  Icon User is offline

  • class Me : Perfection
  • member icon

Reputation: 115
  • View blog
  • Posts: 1,499
  • Joined: 11-June 08

Re: Hex editors

Posted 27 June 2008 - 05:58 PM

View PostTom9729, on 23 Jun, 2008 - 11:50 PM, said:

I just figured out how to use a hex editor. Sad, I know!

I knew how to use a hex editor way before i ever learned how to program.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 Tom9729  Icon User is offline

  • Segmentation fault
  • member icon

Reputation: 181
  • View blog
  • Posts: 2,642
  • Joined: 30-December 07

Re: Hex editors

Posted 27 June 2008 - 06:40 PM

View Postpolymath, on 26 Jun, 2008 - 02:06 PM, said:

TGA as in the TARGA format used in most video games? Reminds me of when I programmed triggers and did 3D modeling in Warcraft. Converting .tga to .blp (blizzardpicture) is a big pain, especially because blps have to be square. Lots of photoshoping to get the photos to fit the myriad constraints to work effectivly. Man, that game has the most effective mapbuilder around. You can re-engineer the game if you want to.

I'll shut up now.

Yessir, the excellent (and simple) TARGA format. I was using a hex editor to map out which bytes hold things like image height/width/depth, and where the data starts. :^:

View Postjacobjordan, on 27 Jun, 2008 - 08:58 PM, said:

View PostTom9729, on 23 Jun, 2008 - 11:50 PM, said:

I just figured out how to use a hex editor. Sad, I know!

I knew how to use a hex editor way before i ever learned how to program.

Well I knew how to use one before, I just didn't know how to use it for anything useful. Perhaps I should have mentioned that in my original post. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 ZachR  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head
  • member icon

Reputation: 2
  • View blog
  • Posts: 126
  • Joined: 15-June 08

Re: Hex editors

Posted 27 June 2008 - 06:57 PM

View PostTom9729, on 27 Jun, 2008 - 06:40 PM, said:

Well I knew how to use one before, I just didn't know how to use it for anything useful. Perhaps I should have mentioned that in my original post. :)

Yeah, me too. I use to use it to edit Teamspeak Clients. xD
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 jacobjordan  Icon User is offline

  • class Me : Perfection
  • member icon

Reputation: 115
  • View blog
  • Posts: 1,499
  • Joined: 11-June 08

Re: Hex editors

Posted 27 June 2008 - 09:44 PM

View PostTom9729, on 27 Jun, 2008 - 06:40 PM, said:

View Postpolymath, on 26 Jun, 2008 - 02:06 PM, said:

TGA as in the TARGA format used in most video games? Reminds me of when I programmed triggers and did 3D modeling in Warcraft. Converting .tga to .blp (blizzardpicture) is a big pain, especially because blps have to be square. Lots of photoshoping to get the photos to fit the myriad constraints to work effectivly. Man, that game has the most effective mapbuilder around. You can re-engineer the game if you want to.

I'll shut up now.

Yessir, the excellent (and simple) TARGA format. I was using a hex editor to map out which bytes hold things like image height/width/depth, and where the data starts. :^:

View Postjacobjordan, on 27 Jun, 2008 - 08:58 PM, said:

View PostTom9729, on 23 Jun, 2008 - 11:50 PM, said:

I just figured out how to use a hex editor. Sad, I know!

I knew how to use a hex editor way before i ever learned how to program.

Well I knew how to use one before, I just didn't know how to use it for anything useful. Perhaps I should have mentioned that in my original post. :)

The only thing i have done with one is change up a few string constants in programs (ex, change the creator's name to my name). Though i also use them a lot to read hex data in files. I have also made a simple hex editor.

This post has been edited by jacobjordan: 27 June 2008 - 09:45 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 NickDMax  Icon User is offline

  • Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

Reputation: 2255
  • View blog
  • Posts: 9,245
  • Joined: 18-February 07

Re: Hex editors

Posted 28 June 2008 - 10:50 AM

TGA is a nice easy format. You know rather than playing around in a hex editor you can just look the format up. normally I would point you to www.wotsit.org but it seems to be down. But a simple google will get you tons of info -- many little editors are out there (the popularity of this format in game programming has made it a popular project subject).

Hex editors are actually invaluable. Unfortunately I have not really found a good one that I really like. I used to love the Hex editor that was part of XTree gold (a very old DOS file manager). Ah.... those were the days...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#14 Tom9729  Icon User is offline

  • Segmentation fault
  • member icon

Reputation: 181
  • View blog
  • Posts: 2,642
  • Joined: 30-December 07

Re: Hex editors

Posted 28 June 2008 - 01:53 PM

I found this. I don't really need it now, but anyone else looking to write a TGA loader might want to give it a looksie.

On a tangent, you can find my (slightly modified to be a snippet) TGA loader here. :^:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#15 PsychoCoder  Icon User is offline

  • Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

Reputation: 1659
  • View blog
  • Posts: 19,853
  • Joined: 26-July 07

Re: Hex editors

Posted 28 June 2008 - 02:00 PM

View PostTom9729, on 23 Jun, 2008 - 11:50 PM, said:

Anyone else up late working on something?


I was up very late working on a QueryString validation class in C# to help prevent someone from hijacking the site at work :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2