4 Replies - 759 Views - Last Post: 25 June 2008 - 05:40 PM

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Robot Can Replicate Itself!

Posted 24 June 2008 - 01:14 AM

English researchers have developed a robot that can not only create 3-D replicas of objects like shoes and door handles - it also can replicate itself.

Scientists from the University of Bath in England unveiled an open-source machine that acts like a three-dimensional printer. Instead of printing out documents or pictures on paper, this printer uses blueprints to produce 3-D plastic objects.

The machine has been dubbed RepRap, which is short for replicating rapid-prototyper.

The goal is to eventually build a robot that can produce individual processors and circuit boards so people can build their own computers, according to Zack Smith, director of the RepRap Research Foundation.

"It's a printing press for the digital age," Smith told Computerworld. "The goal is to have one on everyone's desk. If it could build circuit boards, someone could design and build their own at home. Open-source electronics is a movement that's really taking hold."...

See The Full Story!

This post has been edited by ZachR: 24 June 2008 - 01:14 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Robot Can Replicate Itself!

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Robot Can Replicate Itself!

Posted 24 June 2008 - 11:43 AM

View PostZachR, on 24 Jun, 2008 - 01:14 AM, said:

English researchers have developed a robot that can not only create 3-D replicas of objects like shoes and door handles - it also can replicate itself.

See The Full Story!

Can anyone say Terminator gone reality here. Why on earth do we want a machine that can replicate itself.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 June 2008 - 03:54 PM

View Postrgfirefly24, on 24 Jun, 2008 - 11:43 AM, said:

See The Full Story!

Can anyone say Terminator gone reality here. Why on earth do we want a machine that can replicate itself.

I know, Lol Skynet could actually be something one day! :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 June 2008 - 12:14 PM

Scientists from the University of Bath in England unveiled an open-source machine that acts like a three-dimensional printer. Instead of printing out documents or pictures on paper, this printer uses blueprints to produce 3-D plastic objects.

The machine has been dubbed RepRap, which is short for replicating rapid-prototyper.

The goal is to eventually build a robot that can produce individual processors and circuit boards so people can build their own computers, according to Zack Smith, director of the RepRap Research Foundation.

"It's a printing press for the digital age," Smith told Computerworld. "The goal is to have one on everyone's desk. If it could build circuit boards, someone could design and build their own at home. Open-source electronics is a movement that's really taking hold."...

See The Full Story!

The goal is to have one on everyone's desk...

the truth is : i dont have a desk for this

i can make whole lot desks if the robot sign contract with me :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 June 2008 - 05:40 PM

View PostwirelessCablism, on 25 Jun, 2008 - 12:14 PM, said:

The goal is to have one on everyone's desk...

the truth is : i dont have a desk for this

i can make whole lot desks if the robot sign contract with me :P

Yeah, you could! Lol, I bet a lot of people would get one, and make tons of money. But who knows how much this thing would cost by time its available. :blink:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1