Your Job Description

To go along with the salary survey

Page 1 of 1

3 Replies - 1613 Views - Last Post: 26 June 2008 - 01:41 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Your Job Description

Posted 26 June 2008 - 11:50 AM

So, since we're collecting data about how much you make while doing your thing, DIC, how about we let people know what it is we actually do for our paychecks.

If you need to, post the translation of what it is that you actually do, if the company's description is just a bunch of buzzwords and doublespeak.

Here's mine
======================================================

Web Administrator

Principal duties and responsibilities:

1. Manages the hardware and software platforms used to deploy and manage secure Web-based applications. Duties and responsibilities include:
- Administers Oracle database including data backup.

2. Maintains and enhances existing Russ College Web content and Web-based applications. Duties and responsibilities include:
- Consults with faculty and staff to evaluate project proposals.
- Develops project specifications, timelines, and resource requirements.
- Develops and applies tests for functionality and usability at appropriate stages in the project cycle.
- Maintains and enhances the tools to allow web programming features such as form submission and mailing for the public websites.

3. Serves as a consultant and advises Russ College faculty and staff on general computer-related matters.
- Provides a central resource for the development and maintenance of Russ College department center public Web sites
- Supports existing and future Russ College web applications to ensure proper functioning and user support/training
- Supports solving technical issues that arise with the usage of Ohio University's content management system for the Russ College's public Web sites
- Participates in university IT committees and groups to influence university IT initiatives and learn about available resources.

4. Publishes Russ College news, information, and multimedia via various multimedia outlets, including lobby plasma screen displays.

Candidates must have strong leadership, management, and interpersonal skills to relate to a wide diversity of faculty, staff, and students and community members.

This position is available, at the Dean's discretion, to all units of the Russ College of Engineering and Technology to provide the infrastructure and expertise required for implementing Web-based solutions to achieve mission objectives.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Your Job Description

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Your Job Description

Posted 26 June 2008 - 12:26 PM

Master Web Developer:

PROJECT RELATED COMPETENCIES

Solution Development and Delivery
Creates efficient and logical databases for clients.
Designs and codes superior technical solutions.
Easily recognizes system deficiencies and implements effective solutions.

Project Execution
Creates and executes project work plans and revises as appropriate to meet changing needs and requirements.
Communicates and enforces coding standards
Manages resources within budget and project schedule.
Reviews work of team.
Consistently delivers high-quality services to clients.

CAREER PATH CORE COMPETENCIES

Communication
Assists in the facilitation of team and client meetings.
Delivers informative, well-organized presentations.
Understands how to communicate difficult/sensitive information tactfully.

Relational Databases
Understands complex database concepts as well as the implications of different database designs.
Effectively employs many different database design techniques.
Possesses demonstrated work experience with more than one relational database management system.

Programming Languages
Demonstrates expert knowledge of at least one structured programming.
Creates XML schemas.
Understands the benefits of the various programming languages.

Architecture
Possesses significant knowledge of client server and internet systems architectures.
Creates well designed, reusable objects.
Understands browser specific compatibility issues.
Understands the benefits of the various design methodologies and object oriented environments.

hehe... "master" web developer.... now I feel special! :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Your worst nightmare
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 June 2008 - 12:35 PM

JOB TITLE: PC CONSULTANT

DESCRIPTION OF POSITION:
This position develops new queries/reports or enhancements to existing queries/reports and provides maintenance/support for both. The position is responsible for analysis and development of user query/report requests and interacts with the users to coordinate development efforts. The position is assigned as a member of the Security Committee, representing the Home Services Division. This position provides support for AWD Administration and AWD user processes.

ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB:
Work independently in a fast paced environment.
Manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
Restate definitions of query/report requirements by working with user personnel.
Accomplish assignments by designing and running queries/reports using various utilities and tools.
Provide problem resolution support for production processes related to designed queries/reports.
Maintain a documentation library of all queries/reports.
Assist and provide support for AWD projects as assigned.
Participate as a member of the Security Committee.
Enhance skills knowledge through continued formal education and self-study.

Of course when I got here, I only knew the MS Office stuff, and not all that well. Now I can run circles around the database professor that I had a few months ago, and plan on running circles around her in the next class as well...it's XML. B9, I might need your help a little though.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 June 2008 - 01:41 PM

I am more than happy to help.... provided my job hasn't landed me in a padded room with a straight jacket by then.... :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1