14 Replies - 1160 Views - Last Post: 17 August 2008 - 01:58 AM

#1 rodstol  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 63
  • Joined: 03-April 08

WTH!? Does anything non-MS work in IE7?

Post icon  Posted 26 June 2008 - 03:05 PM

The site works fine in Firefox and Safari, but it won't work in IE. I'm assuming it's a bad tag somewhere, but damned if I can find it.
I opened the site on IE 5 with no problems, so obviously something is right, however IE 6&7 can't even open the index page.
Would it be the web page or the browsers?

http://www.rodstol.com

Attached File(s)



Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: WTH!? Does anything non-MS work in IE7?

#2 girasquid  Icon User is offline

  • Barbarbar
  • member icon

Reputation: 108
  • View blog
  • Posts: 1,825
  • Joined: 03-October 06

Re: WTH!? Does anything non-MS work in IE7?

Posted 26 June 2008 - 03:33 PM

Take a look at your validation results, and try fixing some of those issues - it might just clear up the IE errors for you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 rodstol  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 63
  • Joined: 03-April 08

Re: WTH!? Does anything non-MS work in IE7?

Posted 27 June 2008 - 09:48 AM

Thanks for pointing that sire out Gira, but I'm not understanding what an XML Parsing Error: xmlParseEntityRef: no name. is.
Is that a common problem in IE7?
Is there a site that explains this in layman's terms?

It seems most of the parsing errors are with in the drop down menu.

This post has been edited by rodstol: 27 June 2008 - 10:06 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 csmanoj  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head
  • member icon

Reputation: 10
  • View blog
  • Posts: 150
  • Joined: 06-August 07

Re: WTH!? Does anything non-MS work in IE7?

Posted 27 June 2008 - 11:13 AM

I was able to view it in Internet explorer 6. There were slight alignment differences between FF3 and IE6 only in the footer section, but the rest of the page did render correctly.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 rodstol  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 63
  • Joined: 03-April 08

Re: WTH!? Does anything non-MS work in IE7?

Posted 27 June 2008 - 03:33 PM

View Postcsmanoj, on 27 Jun, 2008 - 11:13 AM, said:

I was able to view it in Internet explorer 6. There were slight alignment differences between FF3 and IE6 only in the footer section, but the rest of the page did render correctly.


Thanks a mil for checking. I've had it working with IE6 for a few days now, but I can't get it all to align correctly, and I really can't get it to align or work in IE7.
I've tried in in IE8 Beta and it works and looks like it's supposed to...well kinda.

From what I'm understanding, the problem lies in the CSS file?

QUESTION:

How does IE7 read CSS files that's different from oh geez...the rest off the world?
AND how do you code a CSS file to make it work with Satan..er..IE7.

Oh snap, I just realized my drop down menus quit working. DANGIT!

This post has been edited by rodstol: 27 June 2008 - 04:00 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 Mike007  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

Reputation: 7
  • View blog
  • Posts: 332
  • Joined: 30-August 07

Re: WTH!? Does anything non-MS work in IE7?

Posted 30 June 2008 - 10:35 AM

Well you seem to have a few problems with your markup. First you are not really obeying the rules of XHTML that states that every tag has to be closed, even the img tag (you have a few of these lying around). Another thing is that you have to declare the namespace in XML documents so that is why the parser tells you have a mistake, take a look at your html tag. It should be something like this:
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">

Where xmlns is short for xml namespace.

Another thing I've noticed is that you don't terminate some of your javascript statements, which is a very bad habit and leads to problems down the road. So please terminate all you javascript statements properly.

Finally try validating your markup and css with W3C validation tools:
XHTML: http://validator.w3.org/
CSS: http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

Good luck!

This post has been edited by Mike007: 30 June 2008 - 10:36 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 rodstol  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 63
  • Joined: 03-April 08

Re: WTH!? Does anything non-MS work in IE7?

Posted 30 June 2008 - 11:40 AM

View PostMike007, on 30 Jun, 2008 - 10:35 AM, said:

Well you seem to have a few problems with your markup. First you are not really obeying the rules of XHTML that states that every tag has to be closed, even the img tag (you have a few of these lying around). Another thing is that you have to declare the namespace in XML documents so that is why the parser tells you have a mistake, take a look at your html tag. It should be something like this:
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">

Where xmlns is short for xml namespace.

Another thing I've noticed is that you don't terminate some of your javascript statements, which is a very bad habit and leads to problems down the road. So please terminate all you javascript statements properly.

Finally try validating your markup and css with W3C validation tools:
XHTML: http://validator.w3.org/
CSS: http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

Good luck!


Thanks for the advice. I have tried the validator, and gave me a bunch of parsing errors. I wasn't sure how to fix them, but what helped the site was linking two new CSS files for IE6 and IE7. At least it comes up now. I'm not sure why it doesn't align in IE6&7. Does IE have an issue with DIV tags?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 Mike007  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

Reputation: 7
  • View blog
  • Posts: 332
  • Joined: 30-August 07

Re: WTH!? Does anything non-MS work in IE7?

Posted 30 June 2008 - 06:03 PM

I believe there is a difference in the way IE calculates padding as opposed to firefox. Here a quick google found this: http://www.webcredib...-explorer.shtml
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 rodstol  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 63
  • Joined: 03-April 08

Re: WTH!? Does anything non-MS work in IE7?

Posted 01 July 2008 - 09:51 AM

View PostMike007, on 30 Jun, 2008 - 06:03 PM, said:

I believe there is a difference in the way IE calculates padding as opposed to firefox. Here a quick google found this: http://www.webcredib...-explorer.shtml



A quote from that page:
"Perhaps the most famous IE and CSS problem is Internet Explorer's misinterpretation of the CSS box model, which can cause page elements to be narrower in IE."

That is partially true in my case. I have dynamic boxes to the left and right to allow for any screen size, however in IE7. they are non-existent (very narrow), while the center column fills the screen, distorting the whole page.

Maybe I'm needing some help with the CSS file.

This post has been edited by rodstol: 01 July 2008 - 09:54 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 GorillaCheif  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 1
  • View blog
  • Posts: 78
  • Joined: 24-April 06

Re: WTH!? Does anything non-MS work in IE7?

Posted 10 July 2008 - 03:34 PM

View Postrodstol, on 1 Jul, 2008 - 09:51 AM, said:

View PostMike007, on 30 Jun, 2008 - 06:03 PM, said:

I believe there is a difference in the way IE calculates padding as opposed to firefox. Here a quick google found this: http://www.webcredib...-explorer.shtml



A quote from that page:
"Perhaps the most famous IE and CSS problem is Internet Explorer's misinterpretation of the CSS box model, which can cause page elements to be narrower in IE."

That is partially true in my case. I have dynamic boxes to the left and right to allow for any screen size, however in IE7. they are non-existent (very narrow), while the center column fills the screen, distorting the whole page.

Maybe I'm needing some help with the CSS file.


Send me your css file. I posted an email to you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 rodstol  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 63
  • Joined: 03-April 08

Re: WTH!? Does anything non-MS work in IE7?

Posted 17 July 2008 - 12:05 PM

View PostMike007, on 30 Jun, 2008 - 10:35 AM, said:

First you are not really obeying the rules of XHTML that states that every tag has to be closed, even the img tag (you have a few of these lying around). Another thing is that you have to declare the namespace in XML documents so that is why the parser tells you have a mistake, take a look at your html tag. It should be something like this:
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">

Where xmlns is short for xml namespace.


I'm not sure why you aren't seeing the head tag. All my pages have that identical tag attached.

Quote

Finally try validating your markup and css with W3C validation tools:
XHTML: http://validator.w3.org/
CSS: http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/


The validator can't fully validate the page because of...

Quote

"The detected DOCTYPE Declaration "<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">" has been suppressed and the DOCTYPE for "XHTML 1.0 Transitional" inserted instead, but even if no errors are shown below the document will not be Valid until you update it to reflect this new DOCTYPE. "


What drives me nuts about the validator is it comes up with errors saying there are parsing errors, which there aren't and tags aren't ended...but they are. Such as..
<h2>designer</h2>
How is the h2 tag not closed?

so...

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"><head>


I don't how what other declaration can be made.

Mike007, I didn't write the java script. I was thrown into maintaining this website after the guy we hired left. I wouldn't know a ended java statement if it bit me in the ....

Cheif, thanks for your input, it did help some.

This post has been edited by rodstol: 17 July 2008 - 01:03 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 rodstol  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 63
  • Joined: 03-April 08

Re: WTH!? Does anything non-MS work in IE7?

Posted 18 July 2008 - 01:06 PM

This is the site in FF. Notice how everything is aligned with in the center container?
Posted Image

This is the site in IE6, the center container doesn't seem to be sticking to any particular widths.
Posted Image

I'm hoping someone will know what causes this in IE.
Could it be the positioning? Absolute/relative/inherited?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 GorillaCheif  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 1
  • View blog
  • Posts: 78
  • Joined: 24-April 06

Re: WTH!? Does anything non-MS work in IE7?

Posted 18 July 2008 - 02:30 PM

You could try adding a width="??" to those side bar <td>, but then it wouldn't adjust for other screen resolutions. Have you tried adding widths to the center column <td>'s?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#14 djkitt  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 29
  • View blog
  • Posts: 189
  • Joined: 22-May 08

Re: WTH!? Does anything non-MS work in IE7?

Posted 21 July 2008 - 12:01 PM

Try adding a width of 800px to the other classes of your middle column like so:

td.below_header{
	width:800px;
}
td.horizontal_center {
	width: 800px;
	
}



Hope this helps,

This post has been edited by djkitt: 21 July 2008 - 12:15 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#15 oldguy85  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 3
  • Joined: 10-July 08

Re: WTH!? Does anything non-MS work in IE7?

Posted 17 August 2008 - 01:58 AM

[/*]Is anyone having problems using editors...IE os draw or note tab...I can only seem to write in notebook for my http links to work ... editors add bad or wrong lines of code![*/]
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1