What Program

Describe a program or two that you would like to have.

  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2

19 Replies - 2073 Views - Last Post: 15 July 2008 - 03:55 PM

#1 gbertoli3  Icon User is offline

  • DIC at Heart + Code
  • member icon

Reputation: 40
  • View blog
  • Posts: 1,162
  • Joined: 23-June 08

What Program

Posted 28 June 2008 - 10:08 PM

Describe a program or two that you would like to have. I want to continue making programs but I have no ideas.
Please post some ideas you would like to see. Because I would like to make them for you and others. I will provide the source code upon request when I am finsihed.

Thanks

This post has been edited by gbertoli3: 28 June 2008 - 10:12 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What Program

#2 Tom9729  Icon User is offline

  • Segmentation fault
  • member icon

Reputation: 180
  • View blog
  • Posts: 2,641
  • Joined: 30-December 07

Re: What Program

Posted 28 June 2008 - 10:35 PM

I've always wanted an artificial intelligence that I could talk to, like Andromeda or Cortana or Helios.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 gbertoli3  Icon User is offline

  • DIC at Heart + Code
  • member icon

Reputation: 40
  • View blog
  • Posts: 1,162
  • Joined: 23-June 08

Re: What Program

Posted 28 June 2008 - 10:40 PM

View PostTom9729, on 28 Jun, 2008 - 10:35 PM, said:

I've always wanted an artificial intelligence that I could talk to, like Andromeda or Cortana or Helios.



Are you serious or joking?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 Tom9729  Icon User is offline

  • Segmentation fault
  • member icon

Reputation: 180
  • View blog
  • Posts: 2,641
  • Joined: 30-December 07

Re: What Program

Posted 28 June 2008 - 11:05 PM

Well I don't expect you or anyone else to be able to program something like that. That point aside, I'm dead serious. Some people dream of being rich, I dream of artificial life. :)

-------------------------------------------------

FFMPEG is an excellent movie/audio encoder/decoder, but there are no good graphical user interfaces for it. If you could write a simple GUI frontend to that, I would definitely give you props. :^:

The only (Open Source) one I can find is here. It's pretty good, but it supports a limited number of formats.

There is another encoder called MEncoder that can be used as an alternative to FFMPEG.

------------------------------------------------

That's the only realistic thing I can think of right now that really does not have (m)any Open Source implementations. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 gbertoli3  Icon User is offline

  • DIC at Heart + Code
  • member icon

Reputation: 40
  • View blog
  • Posts: 1,162
  • Joined: 23-June 08

Re: What Program

Posted 28 June 2008 - 11:19 PM

This is really off topic but...

How did you get your contributor badge>
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 Tom9729  Icon User is offline

  • Segmentation fault
  • member icon

Reputation: 180
  • View blog
  • Posts: 2,641
  • Joined: 30-December 07

Re: What Program

Posted 28 June 2008 - 11:23 PM

By submitting snippets and tutorials.

http://www.dreamincode.net/?p=about

Scroll down to the section labeled "Badges". There are descriptions for each. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 jacobjordan  Icon User is offline

  • class Me : Perfection
  • member icon

Reputation: 113
  • View blog
  • Posts: 1,499
  • Joined: 11-June 08

Re: What Program

Posted 29 June 2008 - 02:29 PM

I am currently working on a program using microsoft speech reco. With it, i can say things like "Open this", "Open that", "What time is it?" and it will respond. It isn't that hard, because speech reco is doing all the work for you. There is a tutorial (in vb.net) that shows you how you can do that. How about making something like that? It can be very useful.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 gbertoli3  Icon User is offline

  • DIC at Heart + Code
  • member icon

Reputation: 40
  • View blog
  • Posts: 1,162
  • Joined: 23-June 08

Re: What Program

Posted 29 June 2008 - 06:00 PM

View Postjacobjordan, on 29 Jun, 2008 - 02:29 PM, said:

I am currently working on a program using microsoft speech reco. With it, i can say things like "Open this", "Open that", "What time is it?" and it will respond. It isn't that hard, because speech reco is doing all the work for you. There is a tutorial (in vb.net) that shows you how you can do that. How about making something like that? It can be very useful.



Ok Thanks but...

I cant get it to write the words / phrases I say.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 jacobjordan  Icon User is offline

  • class Me : Perfection
  • member icon

Reputation: 113
  • View blog
  • Posts: 1,499
  • Joined: 11-June 08

Re: What Program

Posted 29 June 2008 - 06:31 PM

View Postgbertoli3, on 29 Jun, 2008 - 06:00 PM, said:

View Postjacobjordan, on 29 Jun, 2008 - 02:29 PM, said:

I am currently working on a program using microsoft speech reco. With it, i can say things like "Open this", "Open that", "What time is it?" and it will respond. It isn't that hard, because speech reco is doing all the work for you. There is a tutorial (in vb.net) that shows you how you can do that. How about making something like that? It can be very useful.



Ok Thanks but...

I cant get it to write the words / phrases I say.

I don't understand
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 gbertoli3  Icon User is offline

  • DIC at Heart + Code
  • member icon

Reputation: 40
  • View blog
  • Posts: 1,162
  • Joined: 23-June 08

Re: What Program

Posted 29 June 2008 - 07:00 PM

View Postjacobjordan, on 29 Jun, 2008 - 06:31 PM, said:

View Postgbertoli3, on 29 Jun, 2008 - 06:00 PM, said:

View Postjacobjordan, on 29 Jun, 2008 - 02:29 PM, said:

I am currently working on a program using microsoft speech reco. With it, i can say things like "Open this", "Open that", "What time is it?" and it will respond. It isn't that hard, because speech reco is doing all the work for you. There is a tutorial (in vb.net) that shows you how you can do that. How about making something like that? It can be very useful.



Ok Thanks but...

I cant get it to write the words / phrases I say.

I don't understand



You dont understand what I am saying or you dont understand why.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 jacobjordan  Icon User is offline

  • class Me : Perfection
  • member icon

Reputation: 113
  • View blog
  • Posts: 1,499
  • Joined: 11-June 08

Re: What Program

Posted 29 June 2008 - 07:04 PM

I don't understand what your problem is.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 gbertoli3  Icon User is offline

  • DIC at Heart + Code
  • member icon

Reputation: 40
  • View blog
  • Posts: 1,162
  • Joined: 23-June 08

Re: What Program

Posted 29 June 2008 - 07:09 PM

View Postjacobjordan, on 29 Jun, 2008 - 07:04 PM, said:

I don't understand what your problem is.



I copied & pasted the code from the tutorial you suggested.

Works fine except for...

It does not record my words and / or phrases I am speaking.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 jacobjordan  Icon User is offline

  • class Me : Perfection
  • member icon

Reputation: 113
  • View blog
  • Posts: 1,499
  • Joined: 11-June 08

Re: What Program

Posted 29 June 2008 - 07:12 PM

First of all, make sure your microphone is turned on. If you don't know how to do that, right-click on the taskbar, go to Toolbars->Language Bar, and click on the little mic. Also, i used a different engine for my speech program that has more options and is easier to use, but i will explain more about that in another post.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#14 gbertoli3  Icon User is offline

  • DIC at Heart + Code
  • member icon

Reputation: 40
  • View blog
  • Posts: 1,162
  • Joined: 23-June 08

Re: What Program

Posted 29 June 2008 - 07:21 PM

View Postjacobjordan, on 29 Jun, 2008 - 07:12 PM, said:

First of all, make sure your microphone is turned on. If you don't know how to do that, right-click on the taskbar, go to Toolbars->Language Bar, and click on the little mic. Also, i used a different engine for my speech program that has more options and is easier to use, but i will explain more about that in another post.


Nevermind I found the problem.

I needed to configure my speech settings. I had to go through the tutorial.

Thanks for the help.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#15 jacobjordan  Icon User is offline

  • class Me : Perfection
  • member icon

Reputation: 113
  • View blog
  • Posts: 1,499
  • Joined: 11-June 08

Re: What Program

Posted 29 June 2008 - 07:26 PM

Just in case your still interested, the class i use for speech recognition is in a .NET dll called System.Speech. You can find it in

Dim Speech As New System.Speech.Recognition.SpeechRecognizer()



That engine offers customizable commands, which is essential for a macro program (and also makes it far, far more accurate).

This post has been edited by jacobjordan: 29 June 2008 - 07:26 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2