8 Replies - 1274 Views - Last Post: 13 July 2008 - 01:23 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Metroid fan? Competant Programmer? Join us! (NOT a fangame)

Post icon  Posted 01 July 2008 - 01:22 PM

Team name:
Sovereign Studios

Project name:
Huns of the Hunted

Brief description:
A brand-new game designed to appeal to metroid fans, while taking many ideas from many other great games and expanding on the gameplay we all love in previously unseen ways. HOTH is heavily inspired by Super Metroid and is designed to channel the love and soul usually reserved for fan games, into something more original we can claim true ownership of.

Target aim:
Freeware is planned, with Shareware being a possibility we may discuss as a team.

Compensation:
This is a free project so monetary compensation will likely not be available. Credit for your work is always a given and we have a democratic team structure in which we try to keep everyone happy and feeling like they are being treated fairly.

Technology:
C++ running in windows. 3D models created using 3D Studio Max. Reason software used for sound editing/music composition.

Talent needed:
Programmers - The position of Lead Programmer has just been filled, but additional help in this area will definitely be welcome. We will probably need a programmer devoted entirely to writing the game's editor, sine we want it to be well made, robust and easy to use.

Team structure:
Art Team:
Teterankevich Alexandr (3D Modeler)
Woo Suk Lee (3D Modeler)
Oleg Shubin (3D Modeler)
"Stengner" (Concept Artist
Sarah "Sesaka" Solomon (Concept Artist)

Coding Team:
Tobi (Lead Programmer)
Diego (Part Time C++ Programmer)

Design Team:
Sam Henzel (Project Coordinator, Game & Map Design)
Brian "Hoggle" Emo (Sound Design & Music Composer)

Coming soon.

Contacts:
I prefer to be contacted via MSN, Gmail, Yahoo or AIM/ICQ

MSN: xylon420@hotmail.com
AIM: Mousse420POOP
YIM: mousse420
email: mousse420@gmail.com

Previous Work by Team:
Our most experienced member is WooSukLee, being a 6 year veteran and having crafted 3D models for the commercial games War Rock, Sun Online and the soon-to-be-released Mobile Ops for Xbox 360, among others.

I myself previously worked on the fangame Super Metroid Classic, now defunct.

Teterankevich Alexandr and Oleg Shubin have been involved in other projects previously, but I need to refresh my memory as to specifically what they were. This will be edited later after I have a chance to talk to them again.

Stengner and Sesaka each have a presence on the website DeviantArt.com, where they are very productive and incrediblylo talented in their work. I have the utmost confidence in their abilities.

Additional Info:
Huns of the Hunted is a multiplayer focused 2.5D action-adventure game for Windows. Our chief inspiration is the classic 16-bit console title Super Metroid, with additional influence from other great games such as Soldat and Thievery, among others. Levels consist of large, self-contained cooperative or competitive (Team vs Team) scenarios, each with their own uniquely designed objectives.

To play as a human is just one of several choices. Several more playable races will be available, originating from throughout the galaxy and each with their own unique attributes and abilities. We have several great artists who have already put out excellent concept art for these new alien species.

Only bother contacting me/giving feedback if you can maintain a positive, can-do attitude. I do not consider simply telling me this cannot be done or suggesting that I spend 2 years learning to code myself, to be constructive criticism. I am only interested in dealing with winners. Saying you can't do something is most often the biggest thing keeping you from doing it.

Hoping to hear from you guys soon,

Sam @ Sovereign Studios 8)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Metroid fan? Competant Programmer? Join us! (NOT a fangame)

• Jawsome++;
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Metroid fan? Competant Programmer? Join us! (NOT a fangame)

Posted 02 July 2008 - 07:00 AM

Super Metroid is certainly in my top 5 favorite games of all time. If you need help on the programming end of things let me know. I would be very happy to help in a game such as this.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 July 2008 - 05:59 PM

Hey Hampton - I apparently am not allowed to use the private messaging feature here and your AIM doesn't work. Please contact me via one of the methods listed above (MSN preferred)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 July 2008 - 04:34 PM

This is in relation to Sovereign Studios' (non-profit) Huns of the Hunted project

Main thread here

We have a fairly elaborate plan for how weapons will work in this game. The setting is very futuristic, and almost all weapons will be energy based. Particularly, the primary weapon used by all players uses modules which can be combined to form "combo" effects, combining the different effects from the various modules into a single beam, including the color and shape as well as the damage and status effects of the different beams.

Since there are around 8 different beam types in the game, ranging from "grenade" and "shard" to "blade" and "freeze", and we will probably want to be able to combine more than 2 at a time, I'd like it if we were able to make this a dynamic effect, rather than having to do pre-made animations for each combination. Specifically, I'm thinking of the colorful & psychedelic effect's I've seen in things like screen savers and music visualizers.

As is probably obvious by this point, I personally am not the most technically knowledgable when it comes to programming. At this point we only have one Lead Programmer, and I'd say he has a big enough job just coding the engine in general, so I am guessing we will probably need a graphics programmer just for the job of creating the weapons system.

This post has been edited by Mousse420: 03 July 2008 - 04:36 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 July 2008 - 05:01 PM

Not to douse your fire, but graphics programming and game mechanics are inherently different to a degree. The overlapping portion would be drawing the effects on screen (other rendering of the game would be separate from the coding of the weapon "system"). Where the weapon system is logic and graphics programming involves rendering of all things, including the weapon attacks.

8 variations with 2 combinations each = 16 various attacks (this increases exponentially)

When you say dynamic, you mean it is different each time, even with the same combination? I would work on a particle system that can alter based on movement or such, but still gives the general idea of the attack/effect being used.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 July 2008 - 05:10 PM

Need 10 posts to use the PM system, just a friendly fyi
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 July 2008 - 06:53 PM

First of all, I've already had an invitation from someone who wants to do this part, after the lead programmer has gotten us far enough to implement it.

Second, by dynamic I meant, a system that calculates the combining of both the visual and gameplay aspects of the beam, based on the attributes of the various modules.

Also, I plan to allow the combining of more than 2 beams at a time; this is why it needs to be "dynamic" in the way I described above, because it will create so many possible combinations as to make it impossible to create each one manually
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2008 - 02:28 PM

Good luck on your project, my post was not intended to be offensive.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• GabehabeSwamp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 July 2008 - 01:23 PM

Sounds like a fun project, but please don't start multiple threads about the same thing.

Threads merged.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1