6 Replies - 863 Views - Last Post: 07 July 2008 - 01:41 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Okay... this is more of a group Q.

Post icon  Posted 02 July 2008 - 11:35 PM

so me and 2 of my friends this November 2008!!!! We will start working on a game...

One of my friends says.. C# is good but C++ is better..

while the other one say... hey in C# we could make the game to work on 360, xp, vista.. and something that will make it easier to programm...

SO HELP A COMRADE OUT!!!!!

WHICH ONE WOULD BE BETTER TO DESIGN A GAME FOR PEOPLE THAT DO NOT KNOW HOW TO USE MEMORY MANAGMENT>> YET...( i am not the programmer.. i am the 3d environmental and character design.. i do 3dsmax stuff)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Okay... this is more of a group Q.

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Okay... this is more of a group Q.

Posted 03 July 2008 - 04:33 AM

you really may want to move this in to the Game Programming sections. I never really see that much gaming questions in the C# form, and you may get more people helping from there.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• GabehabeSwamp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 July 2008 - 05:54 AM

C++ is the most widely used language for game programming, but C# is becoming more and more used.

There is a framework for C# called XNA, which I have read some good things about, but have no experience from it, so I can't really say too much...

One of my previous posts from the Game Programming forum, describing the benefits of C++ C# and Java for game programming.

Hope this helps :)

EDIT:
In fact, have you considered Java? It's becoming more widely used for game programming now, and some of the libraries are awesome.

Also, if you used Java, you could be making games for phones.

This post has been edited by gabehabe: 03 July 2008 - 05:55 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• GabehabeSwamp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 July 2008 - 11:35 AM

Now that I've got powers, I've moved this to the game programming forum. I think you'll get some better responses here.

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 July 2008 - 12:00 PM

Hard fast rules here...

1) Native C++ is faster and thus the preference for games because its memory handling and speed.

2) C# is becoming more widely used for gaming because of XNA which is the framework you would design for Xbox 360 and PC. But because its memory managed, it is a bit slower than C++.

3) In another twist you can develop in VC++ with XNA, but again because VC++ is managed it isn't quite as fast as native C++.

So if you are looking to design for the Xbox 360, XNA would probably be your choice so you can use C# or VC++. Whichever you are most comfortable with. But if you want to target a lot of different platforms then C++ might be the way to go. I have done a bit of XNA stuff through C# and liked it, but I don't do too much game development these days so it is up to you.

Java is growing as well for games, but I still don't see it making huge inroads to wide scale game development just yet. It is great for mobile devices and such, but as far as I know isn't something you can use for consoles easily if at all.

I guess you have to ask yourselves the type of audience you want to design for, the platforms you want to target, and your comfort with the various languages. At this point I would go with whatever you find most comfortable. Because once your game is done, you could always later port it over to other platforms.

Once you get these decisions hashed out, you will be well on your way to a good game start.

Hope this helps. :)

This post has been edited by Martyr2: 06 July 2008 - 12:01 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 July 2008 - 10:54 PM

View PostMartyr2, on 6 Jul, 2008 - 12:00 PM, said:

Hard fast rules here...

1) Native C++ is faster and thus the preference for games because its memory handling and speed.

2) C# is becoming more widely used for gaming because of XNA which is the framework you would design for Xbox 360 and PC. But because its memory managed, it is a bit slower than C++.

3) In another twist you can develop in VC++ with XNA, but again because VC++ is managed it isn't quite as fast as native C++.

So if you are looking to design for the Xbox 360, XNA would probably be your choice so you can use C# or VC++. Whichever you are most comfortable with. But if you want to target a lot of different platforms then C++ might be the way to go. I have done a bit of XNA stuff through C# and liked it, but I don't do too much game development these days so it is up to you.

Java is growing as well for games, but I still don't see it making huge inroads to wide scale game development just yet. It is great for mobile devices and such, but as far as I know isn't something you can use for consoles easily if at all.

I guess you have to ask yourselves the type of audience you want to design for, the platforms you want to target, and your comfort with the various languages. At this point I would go with whatever you find most comfortable. Because once your game is done, you could always later port it over to other platforms.

Once you get these decisions hashed out, you will be well on your way to a good game start.

thank you Martyr2 ... i think we will use C3 just because of XNA.... and then later move it to Playstation...(my fav platform)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 July 2008 - 01:41 PM

View PostComrade-Games, on 7 Jul, 2008 - 01:54 AM, said:

View PostMartyr2, on 6 Jul, 2008 - 12:00 PM, said:

Hard fast rules here...

thank you Martyr2 ... i think we will use C3 just because of XNA.... and then later move it to Playstation...(my fav platform)

Moving something like this to a Playstation console is a lot more difficult than you think. You will not be able to do it with XNA, as this is something only the XBox360 will support. To move this to the Playstation you're going to need the Linux developers kit for the PS as well as write your code in C++ using the functions required by the PS itself, which may or may not be OpenGL or something like that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1