9 Replies - 1014 Views - Last Post: 09 July 2008 - 06:51 PM

• i am colt mccoy
  • member icon

• View blog

Judge Orders YouTube to Give All User Histories to Viacom

Posted 03 July 2008 - 08:30 AM

http://blog.wired.co...-orders-yo.html

Google will have to turn over every record of every video watched by YouTube users, including users' names and IP addresses, to Viacom, which is suing Google for allowing clips of its copyright videos to appear on YouTube, a judge ruled Wednesday.

Viacom wants the data to prove that infringing material is more popular than user-created videos, which could be used to increase Google's liability if it is found guilty of contributory infringement.

Viacom filed suit against Google in March 2007, seeking more than $1 billion in damages for allowing users to upload clips of Viacom's copyright material. Google argues that the law provides a safe harbor for online services so long as they comply with copyright takedown requests.

Although Google argued that turning over the data would invade its users' privacy, the judge's ruling (.pdf) described that argument as "speculative" and ordered Google to turn over the logs on a set of four tera-byte hard drives.

The judge also turned Google's own defense of its data retention policies -- that IP addresses of computers aren't personally revealing in and of themselves, against it to justify the log dump.

The Electronic Frontier Foundation has already reacted, calling the order a violation of the Video Privacy Protection act that "threatens to expose deeply private information."

The order also requires Google to turn over copies of all videos that it has taken down for any reason.

Viacom also requested YouTube's source code, the code for identifying repeat copyright infringement uploads, copies of all videos marked private, and Google's advertising database schema.

Those requests were denied in whole, except that Google will have to turn over data about how often each private video has been watched and by how many persons.

Pretty ridiculous. Actually insane.

Every video ever watched on youtube and who watched it (by IP Addresses). I feel my rights are being infringed as we speak.

And if you think an ip address means nothing I remind you when AOL released search results paired with ip addresses a couple years ago saying they could never be tracked down and within a week there were multiple peopel who had been found via just those results. I know the files won't be plastered onto the internet like AOL's but nonetheless, once they leave Google's infrastructure they are open to alot more intrusions than before.

just found this magnificent comment on wired :

But Viacom said that internet viewing of television shows was merely promotional! That's why they didn't want to pay the writers!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Judge Orders YouTube to Give All User Histories to Viacom

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Judge Orders YouTube to Give All User Histories to Viacom

Posted 03 July 2008 - 08:41 AM

Man that is sad. Google hasn't done anything wrong, it is the users who upload pirated things. I (personally, to my knowledge) haven't watched anything pirated there, but it is still dumb that my IP address will be given to some large company which I have had no interaction with.

I am pretty sure that IP address is personal information in this day and age. After all, with a single database of viewer's IPs and another database of IP2Location information you can find out what state each user lives in, and probably even narrow it down from there.

Not only that, all users that have an accoutn on YouTube also have their email address linked with it, so if we start getting a ton of spam or something it will probably be because Viacom decided to sell their information to someone else. Even if you don't classify an IP address as personal, your email address sure is.

Gotta love large companies and greed.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• i am colt mccoy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 July 2008 - 09:00 AM

The DMCA is clear,
and if Viacom spots a copied vid on YouTube then Youtube takes it down, few questions asked. There is a system in place for that so its almost as simple as possible.

However, the sheer size of youtube would mean there would have to be a team of viacom employees scanning all day to remove the vids just to keep up , so its obviously not perfect.

There needs to be a better way, but short of inventing AI Google can't do much more...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

Posted 03 July 2008 - 03:34 PM

It's a small step for some disgruntled "entrepreneur" to go "Hey you know what,screw 'em. I'll just take a couple hundred of these things and sell them to the highest bidder".

This post has been edited by Damage: 03 July 2008 - 03:42 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Segmentation fault
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 July 2008 - 04:11 PM

Viacom can go to hell. :)

Youtube videos are very low quality. I might send one of my friends a link to the latest episode of something on Youtube, just to show them a scene, but I don't watch my TV on there (and neither do they). If I seriously want to watch something, I'll watch it when it broadcasts or I'll record it on my DVR. If I REALLY like something, I'll buy the DVD. That doesn't happen much. Maybe Viacom should work on putting out less crap, instead of suing companies like Google that are only promoting their shows and movies.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 July 2008 - 07:19 PM

View Postcapty99, on 3 Jul, 2008 - 11:30 AM, said:

Viacom wants the data to prove that infringing material is more popular than user-created videos, which could be used to increase Google's liability if it is found guilty of contributory infringement.

I know I for one prefer the home made... oh wait, this is YouTube we are talking about.

Just another example of a heartless buck! :angry:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 July 2008 - 08:03 PM

Yay at political correctness. :/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 July 2008 - 05:43 AM

the major issue that i see is that the IP address that you have in and of itself is not owned by you. The second thing is that the internet is called a Public domain. To me that means that if i choose to connect to this public domain using a rented means of doing it then i should not expect the means by which i am connecting to be kept a secret. I know it sucks because of the information that can be linked to your IP, but i guess thats one reason why HIPPAA laws are out there

This post has been edited by rgfirefly24: 04 July 2008 - 05:44 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 July 2008 - 08:03 AM

Indeed, anything you do on the internet is always watched or looked at by someone, viacom is going about this the wrong way. They have fallen into the realm of douschebaggery. My main question is, once they are done with their little investigation what are they going to do with all of that possibly sensitive data?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Segmentation fault
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 July 2008 - 06:51 PM

Pull a SCO?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -