5 Replies - 5549 Views - Last Post: 04 October 2012 - 07:00 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Can we develop website in java?

Post icon  Posted 04 July 2008 - 06:56 AM

I want to know that can we develop a website in java. If yes then which tool we can use.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Can we develop website in java?

• sudo apt-get install brain
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Can we develop website in java?

Posted 04 July 2008 - 07:03 AM

You can only kinda make a website using Java by using JSP and if you get NetBeans, it has a visual JSP tool. The reason I said kinda is because you can a functions to it, but you can't do everything.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 July 2008 - 10:22 AM

View Postabgorn, on 4 Jul, 2008 - 07:03 AM, said:

You can only kinda make a website using Java by using JSP and if you get NetBeans, it has a visual JSP tool. The reason I said kinda is because you can a functions to it, but you can't do everything.

So you are saying that I can't make a website in Java using Eclipse and without using JSP? That's funny, because I did do exactly that.

I want to know that can we develop a website in java.

Yes you can, there are literally hundreds of ways to do it, though most of them use the Servlet API in some way.

If yes then which tool we can use.

Most importantly you need a servlet container such as Tomcat or Jetty, or one of the heavier application servers (though they often embed Tomcat or Jetty).

If you have no experience with creating websites in Java then it's probably easiest to start with JSP as Abgorn suggested. However, JSPs are fairly limited and notorious for encouraging code tangling. Many people move to a Servlet-based framework (of which there are literally hundreds - Apache Wicket is a nice one you could look at).

This post has been edited by JeroenFM: 04 July 2008 - 05:39 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• sudo apt-get install brain
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 July 2008 - 10:41 AM

Well, I'm going to ignore the insult and then way you wrote that post and take it as a point or correction.
Thanks for correcting me and for a list of some of the other things you can do. :^:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 July 2008 - 05:38 PM

View Postabgorn, on 4 Jul, 2008 - 10:41 AM, said:

Well, I'm going to ignore the insult and then way you wrote that post and take it as a point or correction.
Thanks for correcting me and for a list of some of the other things you can do. :^:

Yeah, I was a bit harsh, my apologies. I've also taken the liberty of editing out the insulting part

This post has been edited by JeroenFM: 04 July 2008 - 05:40 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:00 AM

View Postpbl, on 04 October 2012 - 08:19 AM, said:

A few lines .html that triggers a JApplet will do the job

But this would hardly be a website.

For a website where no Java is required on the client side, only the server side, you'll want to ultimately use servlets. A servlet is just a standard class that reads a request and spits out html. Though, it can get far more complicated than that.

I'd recommend the NetBeans IDE. You can create many different kinds of projects, including web sites, and it has a servlet engine (GlassFish) built right in. After playing with GlassFish, I ditched Tomcat, which is the other popular choice for servlets.

Even if you want pbl's applet route, a decent IDE will help flatten the learning curve. The other popular Java IDE is Eclipse.

edit: WTF?!? How did I necro this? There were several other posts for today. Damn gremlins. Please ignore.

This post has been edited by baavgai: 04 October 2012 - 07:03 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1