9 Replies - 1405 Views - Last Post: 20 July 2008 - 11:59 AM

• Segmentation fault
  • member icon

• View blog

Search engines

Posted 11 July 2008 - 07:48 PM

It really bugs me when someone can't figure out how to use a search engine. I don't mean to sound elitist or snobby or anything, but I mean honestly... The majority of questions that get asked on this forum could be answered using Google, which would take less work than it does registering an account and posting a question here.

I can understand when people post questions asking for advice or opinions (like this one :P), because those are things that tend to be a bit more personal. I can also understand asking on a forum about something you don't know the name of. Right now, at least, humans are MUCH better at figuring out what someone is talking about in a specific context than search engines are.

Are there just a lot of lazy people out there? Or do people just not know how to write search queries? I know that personally my mother can have trouble finding things online, but I'm assuming she's much older than many of those folks posting here.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Search engines

#2 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Search engines

Posted 11 July 2008 - 07:54 PM

View PostTom9729, on 11 Jul, 2008 - 10:48 PM, said:

Are there just a lot of lazy people out there? Or do people just not know how to write search queries?

It's to the point where someone would rather spend 10 minutes waiting for you to give them the answer, then spend 1 minute looking it up for themselves. The amount of effort required to figure it out is sometimes too much to take, so its' easier to post here asking for "help" & just simply waiting for the work to be done for them, kind of like handing it over on a silver plater.

*Ding* Fries are done.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Segmentation fault
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 July 2008 - 09:16 PM

no2pencil, on 11 Jul, 2008 - 10:54 PM, said:

*Ding* Fries are done.[/url]

That pretty much describes the careers some of the people I know are headed towards. :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 July 2008 - 11:56 PM

*Ding* Fries are done.

I'd be happy with that (in high school, any donations welcome.)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 July 2008 - 10:49 PM

Eh.. sometimes answers can be hard to find on google. But I will agree, a lot of the times the answers to questions on this board can be found by using a search engine.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 July 2008 - 07:02 PM

I can understand why people ask simple questions here because I joined in December (I think?) because I thought I would ask something. Before I did, I searched around and found answers to my questions on this website (if not answers, then something to nudge me in the right direction). I guess what I'm saying is that I understand why people would ask questions (sometimes they can't find the specifics on google), but looking around on this site could answer your questions without you asking it.

It's all about how much patience a patience has.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• GabehabeSwamp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 July 2008 - 07:11 AM

You joined in December and that's only your second post? :o

How can you not be addicted to the awesomeness that is DIC?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 July 2008 - 01:09 PM

View PostTom9729, on 11 Jul, 2008 - 10:48 PM, said:

I know that personally my mother can have trouble finding things online, but I'm assuming she's much older than many of those folks posting here.

You were born in '90? Yeah... odds are there are quite a few DICs hanging around these boards as-old-as, older-than or damned-near-as-old-as your mom. Making me feel old... shame on you!

And you are quite correct: people are dumb.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 July 2008 - 01:11 PM

Born in '90??!! Damn I had my first degree before that LOL!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 July 2008 - 11:59 AM

I know how you feel, but certainly can't explain it. I find myself using these forums to help me answer questions on my own. About a dozen times since I joined, I've had a problem that I just couldn't figure out. Sure I had searched, but couldn't find exactly what I needed. Then with my mouse over the Post button, after writing out and re-reading my problem, it hit me that I hadn't exhausted all of my search options. That desire to avoid embarrassing replies like "omg just google it, nub" or "didn't you read the msdn page?" is what helps me find my own answers and get help only when I really need it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1