6 Replies - 23539 Views - Last Post: 19 July 2008 - 04:35 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

How to get started on a basic RTS game?

Posted 15 July 2008 - 11:52 PM

Hi, I'm new to these forums and fairly new to the world of game programming. I came here looking for some tips/tutorials on how to get started on making a basic Real-Time Strategy game. My first question is: What do I need to get started? I understand that I will need a suitable game engine, but beyond that I don't really know everything I would need. I'm not asking for you guys to do my work for me, but could some people point me in the right direction? Give me, like say a list of all the basic things I would need to get started creating a fully functional RTS game? If it helps at all, I am learning the C++ language, so could anyone show me to some basic tutorials so I can expand my knowledge?

Thanks in advance.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How to get started on a basic RTS game?

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: How to get started on a basic RTS game?

Posted 16 July 2008 - 01:22 AM

I guess because im working on an RTS, ill reply.

main thing for starters in order to get the game logic.

Arrays are important when learning how to manage a map: in order to work out which blocks are occupied.
(if your asking what an array is, dont continue reading, get a solid understanding on your chosen language)

then start with a 2D graphics library, as all RTS games, have 2D logic, (or very low level 3rd dimension logic).

once you make a basic, 2D turn based game. then you can update it to be real time, at this point you will need to learn the basics of pathing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 July 2008 - 02:44 AM

View Postapple23, on 15 Jul, 2008 - 11:52 PM, said:

Hi, I'm new to these forums and fairly new to the world of game programming. I came here looking for some tips/tutorials on how to get started on making a basic Real-Time Strategy game. My first question is: What do I need to get started? I understand that I will need a suitable game engine, but beyond that I don't really know everything I would need. I'm not asking for you guys to do my work for me, but could some people point me in the right direction? Give me, like say a list of all the basic things I would need to get started creating a fully functional RTS game? If it helps at all, I am learning the C++ language, so could anyone show me to some basic tutorials so I can expand my knowledge?

Thanks in advance.

If you're new to game programming you shouldn't try an RTS just yet, start with something simple and expand as you go along. Try making a game like Tetris (moving objects, also exist in an RTS), or Pacman (AI for the ghosts and some minor animation, also important in an RTS). Basically, try recreating a few old arcade games first and you'll get a good idea of the stuff needed to make an RTS.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 July 2008 - 10:32 AM

View PostJeroenFM, on 16 Jul, 2008 - 02:44 AM, said:

If you're new to game programming you shouldn't try an RTS just yet, start with something simple and expand as you go along. Try making a game like Tetris (moving objects, also exist in an RTS), or Pacman (AI for the ghosts and some minor animation, also important in an RTS). Basically, try recreating a few old arcade games first and you'll get a good idea of the stuff needed to make an RTS.

Thanks for the advice. Could you also tell me all the basic tools/software I will need to get started making games?

P.S.: Sorry it took me so long to reply, my internet connection went down almost immediately after I posted this thread...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 July 2008 - 02:45 PM

View Postapple23, on 16 Jul, 2008 - 10:32 AM, said:

Thanks for the advice. Could you also tell me all the basic tools/software I will need to get started making games? thread...

It sounds like you dont know much about developing games just yet, maybe for now just make mini games as you learn a language, with the things you learn from each lesson.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 July 2008 - 01:40 PM

Well I took your advice, and I developed a little mini console application with microsoft visual C++. problem is, I want to distribute it as a stand-alone executable file. How do I do this?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 July 2008 - 04:35 AM

I wonder if this topic might help...

if not im looking for others

http://www.gamedev.n...topic_id=476695

P.S Use publish then choose "User will in stall form CD/DVD" or something like that

then it will give you a setup file and all the required files and when you install it it gives one .EXE

This post has been edited by Rickster0: 19 July 2008 - 04:37 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1