Why Did You Move to Linux?

For linux user and people thinking of moving.

Page 1 of 1

13 Replies - 2217 Views - Last Post: 17 July 2008 - 03:58 AM

• sudo apt-get install brain
  • member icon

• View blog

Why Did You Move to Linux?

Posted 16 July 2008 - 04:48 AM

I'm currently a Windows (Vista) user and when I get my new laptop, I'm gonna put Ubuntu on it. But I'm only moving because I have no dependancy on Windows, practicly everything's free and I can do a crap load more with Linux than I ever could with Windows (customization wise). So my question is why did you move to Linux?

(And yes I know, Vista sucks).

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Why Did You Move to Linux?

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Why Did You Move to Linux?

Posted 16 July 2008 - 05:10 AM

I'm on XP pro SP2 at work and dual boot vista and ubuntu machines at home, I use ubuntu mostly for web stuff and vistas the normal everyday OS largely because I play a lot of games most of which don't have a linux version.

The truth of it is, how you use your pc is what should define the OS your running and the only reasons to be running Windows right now are:

1)Games
2)Visual Studio

if all your doing is genral computing, get Linux, if all your doing is non .net development, get linux, if all your doing is graphic design, get a mac.

p.s. music? get a mac.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 July 2008 - 06:32 AM

Linux is not my main OS; however, I do have it installed on my laptop.

Why I have Linux installed
- Valgrind is love...
- Portability Testing

Why it's not my main OS
- Bad luck with hardware. IE, Crappy hardware support for pretty much everything I own.
- No dual monitor support on my main development rig (HUGE productivity loss)
- User Interfaces are less then steller. Granted, Ubuntu does have one of the better interfaces, I still believe it is far behind Windows XP. Yes, Compviz is kinda pretty, a lot of it is just eye candy. IE, most transparencies, wobbly windows, and a bunch of other effects don't have a practical use.
- Slow and bloated. This really depends on the distro. Ubuntu eats up ~300 MB on boot, compared to ~100 MB for Windows XP, and Ubuntu takes a lot longer to boot.

Now for the distro's I've tried
- Ubuntu (currently installed)
- PuppyLinux - Loved it, but hated the file manager
- Dreamlinux - Just pretty
- Mandrake Linux - Messed with it a long time ago. Meh
- PCLinuxOS - Felt bloated

and a few others I can't recall at the moment.

For development, I really think Linux documentation in general sucks. If you want to call a OS specific function, you are pretty limited. Generally, I just look at sites like http://linux.die.net/ when I want to find Linux function calls; however, compared to MSDN, the documentation sucks. I can't help but feel like the Linux development structure is to use other open source libraries to do what you need. Granted, this can be quite nice, but I absolutely hate dependency hell, and inherited dependencies in general.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Innocent Shall Suffer, Big Time
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 July 2008 - 06:35 AM

I was dual booting for over a year, then one day when booting windows it needed to do a scandisk before it finished booting, and bluescreened in the middle of scandisk, and destroyed itself (windows partition), along with all my music collection.

So I've been Linux only since then. (nothing wrong with that harddrive, still using it today, and this happened 4.5 years ago)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 July 2008 - 07:25 AM

View PostCerolobo, on 16 Jul, 2008 - 06:32 AM, said:

- Slow and bloated. This really depends on the distro. Ubuntu eats up ~300 MB on boot, compared to ~100 MB for Windows XP, and Ubuntu takes a lot longer to boot.

That may be the first time I've ever heard anyone call Linux bloated....
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 July 2008 - 07:33 AM

It highly depends on the distro, and your reference frame.

That's actually one of the reason why I love PuppyLinux. It's under 80 MB when installed, and it eats up less memory when running.

I personally believe that Vista is extremely bloated as well. A little bit more then Ubuntu; however, I do get dual monitor support on Vista...

In any case, I'm happy with Windows XP. What ever works for you, that's what you should use.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 July 2008 - 08:02 AM

View PostCerolobo, on 16 Jul, 2008 - 07:33 AM, said:

What ever works for you, that's what you should use.

Truer words have never been spoken, I'm actually surprised, I expected the frothing loonies to have invaded by now :P

I try to be inclusive in my OS and software choices, hence the dual boot home machines, the only reason I don't own a mac as well is purely down to cost and my obsessive need to keep my PCs performance near the top of the curve.

As much as I do enjoy working in linux most of the people and machines I deal with are windows boxes and thats where my bias lies.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Resident Curmudgeon

• View blog

Posted 16 July 2008 - 10:53 AM

I switched to Linux because I was sick of dealing with Windows 98 and XP hadn't been released yet. A friend told me about it so I figured I'd give it a try. I basically took it as a learning experience and ended up sticking with it. Of course, this was about 8 or 9 years ago, back in the days when misconfiguring X11 could destroy your monitor and you had to recompile your kernel to make a CD burner work, so there was a lot more you had to learn just to get basic functionality.

These days, I stick with Linux because it's what I know and it does everything I need. Why switch? I'd just be trading a set of annoyances I know for a set I don't. Plus if I wanted to switch, I'd either have to buy a Mac or pay full retail for a copy of Vista Ultimate (as I have no XP license to upgrade), and I'm far to cheap for either of those. ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Jawsome++;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 July 2008 - 11:25 AM

Still on Windows but I have been considering putting Linux on my laptop. I really haven't played around with it too much so I'm a bit skeptical on my experience. I'm sure I will get around to it eventually.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 July 2008 - 12:59 PM

I use Linux because I dislike having to wait. Booting is a LOT faster than on Windows. It's more stable, faster, etc...

I still use Windows as over the years I got fond of the way it works, no matter the shortcommings.

Sidenote: WoW on Linux = Epic win!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 July 2008 - 01:58 PM

I started using Linux as a suggestion from a friend. She had shown me how it comes with gcc & as, & that other software development tools are readily available. by ftp from the group that releases the distro. So I decided to give Slackware a try on my next Laptop. As I used it, I really enjoyed being able to have control at the OS level, rather than the illusion of control, just by messing with silly interfaces. Also, when Windows would crash, blue screen, or render itself useless, there was never any real reason why, or any real way to trouble shoot the issue. With Linux, there was massive amounts of logging, & since everything is Text based, there was no sluggish overhead. Then when Windows 98 came out, & I saw what the system requirements were, I started putting Linux on my Desktops as well. One PC that I had would reboot on it's own about every 10 to 12 hours. I took it to a friend whom ran a computer repair shop. He returned it after 3 days & just shrugged his shoulders. Without rime or reason. When I ran Linux on it, it ran for months without a hickup.

Fast forward a few years, & I started to get into web development, & there again, more free tools ready to use. So now I've got a dependable OS with free dependable software, all of which I have the power without question to alter, manipulate, & learn about to whatever level I want to research it. There really wasn't any reason to go back.

My 1st OS was Dos 3.3, I experienced the supposed awe that was Windows 3.1, & the unfortunate upgrade to Windows 95. I didn't just simply have one bad experience & then make the change. I really like the ability to upgrade the kernel multiple times per year, rather than buying the next buggy version of Windows. I realize that all software has bugs, & nothing will ever function 100% as designed. However with Linux, I have the ability to get updates, make changes, & even alter the software as I see fit should I choose. With Windows, it was sit & wait ... crash & burn ... hope & pray.

But that's just me, as previously pointed out, use what you are comfortable with.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Segmentation fault
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 July 2008 - 03:34 PM

The more "user friendly" a Linux distribution is, the more memory it's going to take up. That's not always the case, but it has been my experience that it usually is.

------------------------

I switched to Linux before I was a programmer. Had I been a programmer then, the fact that Linux provides so many resources and tools for learning and developing software, and allows you to tinker with everything, would be my main reason for switching most likely.

I switched for a few reasons though.

I used to belong to a forum (it's gone now, sadly) where one of the guys was really into Linux, and trying out lot's of different distros. He even made his own, just for kicks. He pretty much got me started with Linux. I actually went back to Windows many times.

In the end I think I stayed with Linux because of things like the package management, the ability to customize virtually everything, the transparency when problems occurred (REAL error messages, instead of hex dumps), the community, the "cool" and "unique" factor (lame, but true), etc.

I was very impressed with the Anaconda installer, and Fedora Core 1 in general. The main things that got me mad were the lack of GUI configuration tools, how "hard" it was to install the NVIDIA driver, and deprivation from my Windows games.

Eventually I got the NVIDIA driver installed, and found out that it wasn't so hard. I read tutorials to get things configured, and I got some of my games working in WineX.

One summer I decided to try installing Gentoo on an old laptop. Doing so doesn't teach you anything really about the Kernel, or how Linux works (despite what people may say), but I really learned a lot about the command line.

My advice if you're considering switching to Linux is to keep an open mind (Linux is NOT Windows). You should learn how to use the shell, even if you're using a mostly graphic-oriented distribution. Read articles, if you have a question on how to do something look it up on Google or try to figure it out yourself. Realize that despite the fact that the software you usually use probably doesn't exist on Linux, there are alternatives (and sometimes the alternatives are better).

There are a lot of "Introduction To Unix/Linux" type books out there. I recommend you get one.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Jawsome++;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 July 2008 - 07:47 PM

I may just do that, been wanting to get on the Linux train for some time now.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Segmentation fault
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 July 2008 - 03:58 AM

View Postcaptainhampton, on 16 Jul, 2008 - 10:47 PM, said:

I may just do that, been wanting to get on the Linux train for some time now.

The Gentoo handbook is very well written, if that's the part of my post you're referring to. :^:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1