VB6 or VB.Net?

Ways of telling in the code.

• (4 Pages)
  • +

51 Replies - 55950 Views - Last Post: 05 April 2013 - 02:58 AM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: VB6 or VB.Net?

Posted 15 July 2009 - 08:48 AM

I wish I'd seen this post before posting my question about VB.NET in the VB6 section. When I created my account the bar at the top of the screen allowed me to just create a new post in the section I thought it should be in (labelled visual basic in the drop down menu). After posting I find this topic and wished it was on the post new thread page so I don't waste moderator's time. Sorry about wrongly posting, I renamed the topic to alert moderators to this fact so hopefully I helped them there.

Sorry!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 July 2009 - 03:01 PM

I need to write applications that will run under WinPE v2 (VistaPE) which does not support .NET, so vb.Net is not a choice. On the other hand, vb6 will only compile to 32-bit code...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 August 2009 - 01:47 AM

Hee..I think I've mistakenly posted some topics here.They should be in VB.NET. :wub:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Like a lollipop
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 August 2009 - 03:06 PM

The .NET code documentation is a nightmare, trying to sort through all of the different namespaces to find the function you're looking for.

Agree total nightmare. I better learn c++ then vb.net
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Banned
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 September 2009 - 08:54 PM

I want to know about Nix, and Mono. From where i can get info about these.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Like a lollipop
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 September 2009 - 08:54 AM

you can try asking questions in this forum

http://www.dreaminco...showforum62.htm
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 October 2009 - 09:13 AM

View PostDocRabbit, on 9 May, 2009 - 02:58 AM, said:

View Posteyes_angel, on 5 Apr, 2009 - 06:21 AM, said:

View Postfirebolt, on 4 Apr, 2009 - 02:00 AM, said:

vb6 is easier to understand and use by a factor of 4 compared to VB.NET but i muset agree, VB.NET had much better and more features than VB6

yup vb .net is better but it is true only wen i need to use its all features.i want to know wen i m going to design a simple interface then y i should choose vb .net y nt vb6 wen it is simple to use and understand.pls reply if u hv proper ans, y to go wid vb6 while designing a simple interface.

If it can be done in vb6, has all the functionality you need for now and every more (rarely ever seen this occur at time of writing a program), produces no bugs what-so-ever, then yes I would use vb6 over VBNet.

Been programming since the only windows you saw were the ones on your office wall and c:\>_ was your only screen companion. In all my years of programming, have yet to ever have one single program to pass all the criteria I stated above. So, in other words, even if it is going to be a plain simple ferrari, its still better than a chevette.(Sorry GM, but even you guys would admit this)

(First post, wee!)

I'm a very green VB programmer and I prefer .Net to 6 (I've been tasked with supporting a VB6 app and am currently stuck in dll hell), but I work with an extremely experienced programmer who prefers VB6 for most things because, oddly enough, he can do almost anything imaginable under VB6. Bear with me if I sound like I'm a bit in awe with this guy, I kindof am. Every time I talk to him he blows my mind with something else. Anyway.

To give you an idea about my co-worker's programming level, he got into the industry as a computer tech in the Army back when computers filled whole rooms. He saw the rise of punch cards and began programming then. Due to the particular industry he and I both work in, he is still today regularly writing in Assembly, and even occasionally in machine language for particular processors we (him more than me) come into contact with. He commonly writes in C, C++, VB6 and VB.Net. As far as I know he doesn't mess with Ruby, Java, or any of the scripting languages, but I could be wrong given the sheer amount this guy spends writing code. He's the kind of programmer who, if he doesn't like the way someone designed a product, he will dissasemble it and re-write it the way he wants it to work (he did this with a piece of firmware for some industrial equipment and the company turned around and bought the source code off him so they could distribute it themselves).

So when a guy like that tells me he prefers to work in VB6 over everything else, first my face goes something like 0.o, then I pay attention. He is pulling me into a project now (more as education for me, since I'm sure I'll just be slowing him down in a major way) where he is writing an extremely tiny operating system in VB6 to put on industrial equipment. He wrote a custom compiler for VB6 to compile everything into Assembly, and from there he can compile it into various machine code formats.

It should be an interesting experience, and apparently you can't count VB6 out yet if you can do this sort of thing with it. Because it is certainly more difficult in .Net (though apparently he has a custom compiler for that, too).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 November 2009 - 07:17 PM

wow,,.... thats great tutuor
thanks
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Sarcasm Extraordinaire!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 December 2009 - 10:26 AM

View PostAdscendJeremy, on 26 May, 2009 - 09:09 PM, said:

The .NET code documentation is a nightmare, trying to sort through all of the different namespaces to find the function you're looking for.

Not really. I can usually find what I'm looking for pretty easily. Usually being about 95% of the time. You just gotta have a little common sense about where it might be.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 July 2010 - 06:06 AM

In VB and VB.net, VB.net is a better than VB. In VB.net All the Function and properties are come it self where the user put the dot after the any control. Its a User friendly language. In VB Process of coding is so hard and complex . VB.net is a higher version of VB which is developed by a microsoft.
Was This Post Helpful? -5
  • +
  • -

• Like a lollipop
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 July 2010 - 07:34 AM

i am not sure if even make any sens. but if you press dot in some control in vb6 the property show itself too (omg thats unbelievable). but that is called IntelliSense the process of coding is the same (dont even know what you mean by this). the only thing that i can agree with you is that VB.NET is higher version of VB (higher then VB6). you clearly have no idea what your talking about

This post has been edited by NoBrain: 30 July 2010 - 10:05 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2010 - 02:43 PM

in vb6
Text1.enabled= False
Text1.setfocus()

in vb.net
Text1.enabled= False
Text1.focus()

seems there is not much difference in that code but
when you run this you find a big difference
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Like a lollipop
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2010 - 01:11 AM

View Postthava, on 01 August 2010 - 10:43 PM, said:

in vb6
Text1.enabled= False
Text1.setfocus()

in vb.net
Text1.enabled= False
Text1.focus()

seems there is not much difference in that code but
when you run this you find a big difference

yes the first code will want you to store the result that the function return: Compile error: Expected =
:P
still it`s normal to not be able to set focus on disabled filed(dont know why it work in vb.net)

This post has been edited by NoBrain: 02 August 2010 - 01:12 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#44 Guest_Jupiter2*

Posted 17 August 2010 - 04:58 PM

VB6 doesn't work on 64-bit OS but will work on Windows7 because Win7 is both 64-bit and 32-bit compatible. Hovever, after Win7, Vb6 will not work.
Was This Post Helpful? 0

• Like a lollipop
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 October 2010 - 05:56 AM

We may argue here. i see so many ppl using old VB6 native code in their VB.NET applications(that go and for companies not only amateurs applications) that i cant imagine what will happen if they drop it in the next version of windows. on other hand Microsoft is well know to dont give a sh*t about what user wants.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +