On which language I should do

• (2 Pages)
  • +

26 Replies - 2404 Views - Last Post: 08 September 2008 - 04:26 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Your Opinion

Posted 24 July 2008 - 12:22 AM

Note: If this is the wrong section, please may a Moderator move it to the right section. Thanks.

Hey guys, I'm currently twisted up at the moment. I have so much free time just browsing the same sites over and over very freely, but in boredom. I've been wanting to look into coding/programming as a thing to do when I seem down, or when I'm bored. But I can't decide on which ;language to pick up on, they all seem very good and beneficial, and some of them seem really advanced.

So I'd like to ask your opinion. As a beginner, what language would you recommend I pick up on?

Thanks in advance.
~Dan

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Your Opinion

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Your Opinion

Posted 24 July 2008 - 02:08 AM

FRENCH!

seriously though, with the massive variety of languages around which you start with is entirely up to you. I personally started with (and use currently) VB and VB.Net.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• C Surfing ∞
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2008 - 02:17 AM

I started with C then C++ [I love them very much :)]. Then studied many of them, like C#, java, jsp,asp,php etc. and when I got job, from 1st day till today I worked only in C,C++. That's what I call destiny. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2008 - 02:30 AM

I would probably start off with Visual Basic. I don't fully know it but I know a good bit of it. It is nice and easy but when used correctly can be pretty powerful. But if I were you I would also look into web development as it can be handy. Lets say you make a really good program and you need a website. Ta-daa! Just make with your web development skills!

ITDemo
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2008 - 02:33 AM

View Postjosiahb, on 24 Jul, 2008 - 02:08 AM, said:

FRENCH!

seriously though, with the massive variety of languages around which you start with is entirely up to you. I personally started with (and use currently) VB and VB.Net.

Tried French.. It sucks! Nah, VB.Net, I downloaded the application from Microsoft to code in, and it doesn't work. So I left that.

View PostAmitTheInfinity, on 24 Jul, 2008 - 02:17 AM, said:

I started with C then C++ [I love them very much :)]. Then studied many of them, like C#, java, jsp,asp,php etc. and when I got job, from 1st day till today I worked only in C,C++. That's what I call destiny. :)

C and C++ I've looked at before. And I may look into C# again, because that's interesting.

Thanks for the replies
~Dan
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2008 - 05:10 AM

The school I went to started with Java, so that might work. I went from C++ from there and might expand out more depending on free time.

In my humble opinion, Java.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• go sabres

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2008 - 05:57 AM

vb.net or c#. if your going to teach yourself and youve never programmed before i wouldnt try c or c++ right off the bat. if you are having problem getting vb.net to work, then theres no way c or c++ will work for you
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2008 - 06:30 AM

I could do VB.Net and/or C#, but just the express editions are failing on me. "Failing to create Project".

Thanks for the replies.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2008 - 07:47 AM

I started with html and css then moved over into c++ with MVC++. They've always worked for me and I really like c++ in that it is simple but powerful (in my personal opinion, simpler than java because it doesn't need oop but can use it and more powerful because of it's ability to interface with the system and pointers though I like java for SWING once you get advanced). In short, they're all good, but it depends on what you are looking for in a language.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2008 - 09:09 AM

If this is your first programming language, I'd start with a web programming language like PHP (after you learn HTML, which is a piece of cake). After you get a feel for how programming works, I'd move into C++
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2008 - 12:17 PM

View PostMoonbat, on 24 Jul, 2008 - 05:09 PM, said:

If this is your first programming language, I'd start with a web programming language like PHP (after you learn HTML, which is a piece of cake). After you get a feel for how programming works, I'd move into C++

Yes Moonbat has it. Do what he said :^:

ITDemo
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• class Me : Perfection
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2008 - 01:29 PM

View PostDappaDan, on 24 Jul, 2008 - 02:22 AM, said:

Note: If this is the wrong section, please may a Moderator move it to the right section. Thanks.

Hey guys, I'm currently twisted up at the moment. I have so much free time just browsing the same sites over and over very freely, but in boredom. I've been wanting to look into coding/programming as a thing to do when I seem down, or when I'm bored. But I can't decide on which ;language to pick up on, they all seem very good and beneficial, and some of them seem really advanced.

So I'd like to ask your opinion. As a beginner, what language would you recommend I pick up on?

Thanks in advance.
~Dan

That sounds EXACTLY like my schedule was a week ago. Anyway, for a beginner, i recommend the same language i started with: Visual Basic or Visual Basic.NET. In fact, Basic stands for Beginners All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Bastard Operator From Hell
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2008 - 09:14 PM

ANSI C was the first language I've actually started learning and programming in, I used to mess with VB and Visual Studio, But I switched myself to UNIX Oriented stuff With which I work and program in now Ansi C, C++,PERL,PHP, SHELL some AWK.

This is your own decision it is up to you if you want to program in Windows Environment learn JAVA,C#,VB.net? If you go UNIX you could do they same I did go with C or PERL I would start with PERL it is easier, and basically all languages have the same concepts such as Variables, arrays so if you start with an easier language you can move up the chain learning more harder languages!

Edit: Oh and HTML isn't considered a language.

This post has been edited by Mikhail: 24 July 2008 - 09:16 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 July 2008 - 06:04 AM

if html isn't considered a language then why does it stand for Hyper Text Markup Language

ITDemo
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 July 2008 - 06:11 AM

View Postitdemo, on 25 Jul, 2008 - 06:04 AM, said:

if html isn't considered a language then why does it stand for Hyper Text Markup Language

ITDemo

Delusions of grandeur.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +