4 Replies - 813 Views - Last Post: 28 July 2008 - 09:26 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Delphi

Posted 26 July 2008 - 03:22 PM

Hey guys. I'm considering the possibility of studying Delphi as a language to code in. I'd like to know if anyone could tell me the advantages of Delphi and how it can be beneficial towards others.

Thanks in advance
~Dan
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Delphi

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Delphi

Posted 26 July 2008 - 04:25 PM

Well many of the advantages and disadvantages can be found right on wikipedia...

CodeGear Delphi - Wikipedia

Personally I have never seen it used very much. It was in a competition with VB there for awhile and they even had tv commercials really trying to sell it as a language for enterprise applications, but it never really has taken off.

I would never really invest an academic endeavor into it because who knows how long it will be around. I rather go with a more mainstream alternative and then go back to Delphi when you have some spare time on your hands.

Just to give you an idea, Borland tried selling off part of Delphi in Feb 2006 but I don't think they found a buyer and that caused them to instead just regroup into Codegear and push on. Now that is just speculation but no where in the industry am I seeing large spread Delphi development. Once in awhile you find a big company using it for database development (Delphi's strong point) but other than that... nothing really.

If you are just breaking into programming you might want to go with something like VB or another .NET language and later lateral over into Delphi.

I would just hate to see you waste your time with Delphi and be forced to bail on it because A) No more support for it or B.) Can't find enough work in it.

These are just my opinions and what I have seen in the industry. Hope this helps you make some choices. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 July 2008 - 03:15 AM

It definitely did help make my choice quite frankly. Thank you very much for the reply and in depth information, mate.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Segmentation fault
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 July 2008 - 12:07 PM

Isn't it just a proprietary version of Pascal?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 July 2008 - 09:26 AM

Hey, Nick Hodges the Delphi Product Manager here, and I thought I'd take a little time to square away a few misunderstandings....

View PostMartyr2, on 26 Jul, 2008 - 04:25 PM, said:

Well many of the advantages and disadvantages can be found right on wikipedia...

CodeGear Delphi - Wikipedia

Personally I have never seen it used very much. It was in a competition with VB there for awhile and they even had tv commercials really trying to sell it as a language for enterprise applications, but it never really has taken off.

Well, I guess it depends on your definition of "taken off". Delphi has millions of developers around the world and has sold millions of copies in its 13 year history. It outlasted VB.

Just to give you an idea, Borland tried selling off part of Delphi in Feb 2006 but I don't think they found a buyer and that caused them to instead just regroup into Codegear and push on. Now that is just speculation but no where in the industry am I seeing large spread Delphi development. Once in awhile you find a big company using it for database development (Delphi's strong point) but other than that... nothing really.

Borland did sell CodeGear -- we are now proudly part of Embarcadero Technologies, and we are going strong. We are about to release our latest version, Delphi 2009, which remains the only native RAD tool for Windows. Delphi is used throughout the world to build ISV tools as well as database-based applications.

I would just hate to see you waste your time with Delphi and be forced to bail on it because A) No more support for it or B.) Can't find enough work in it.

Delphi is fully supported and pressing forward. We have a roadmap which includes .Net and native 64-bit development.

Don't let one limited opinion sway you. Delphi is out there, fully supported, and going strong. ;-)

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me at nick.hodges@codegear.com

Nick Hodges
Delphi Product Manager
Embarcadero Technologies

These are just my opinions and what I have seen in the industry. Hope this helps you make some choices. :)

Was This Post Helpful? 1

Page 1 of 1