1 Replies - 3507 Views - Last Post: 29 July 2008 - 11:39 AM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

traversing a matrix-like data structure?

Posted 28 July 2008 - 06:48 PM

i need some help on how to traversing my data structure. the purpose of this structure is to emulate a Data Grid View structure(at least as i understand it). overall, it should basically do what the windows media player library does.

that is to say:
-holds data across various categories
-sorts the music files based on these categories

explained in terms of a music library, the DS is implemented in terms of rows(representing songs) and columns(representing categories)(note: these are ACTUAL list objects - as opposed to 'rules' in terms of usage). all the rows are stored collectively in a STL list, likewise with the columns.

i want to make this DS function like a STL container. as such, it requires iterators. the problem originates with the fact that this DS is essentially a matrix, whereas all the STL containers can be visualized as 'lines'. i have to incorporate some EFFECTIVE way to navigate both columns and rows.

the method i'm currently using has iterators ONLY traversing the list of rows. once a row/reference has been retrieved, you can call the subscript operator on it and use it to call up the specific column you want.

however, i want to hear opinions on how to traverse a matrix-like, STL-emulating datastructure as my way feels extremely clunky(although not the worst of possible options).

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: traversing a matrix-like data structure?

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: traversing a matrix-like data structure?

Posted 29 July 2008 - 11:39 AM

Sounds ok to me. You have a container for the rows, and each row presumably has another container to represent the columns.

Presumably you have something like:

struct Song
	// song stuff
	string sName, sArtist;

struct Row
	int index;   
	map<int, Column *> cols;  // int is the column index
				// destructor to delete each Column (or use smart pointer)

struct Column
	string name;
	Song * song;
   // destructor to delete Song (or use smart pointer)

What kind of query functions do you require? This would be what will effect efficiency of lookups and how much you want to store, i.e. in Row I have put a: int index , the purpose being you could provide a function/operator[] to find a row based on its index.

This post has been edited by Teaser: 29 July 2008 - 11:41 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1