The next Google Killer?

Page 1 of 1

2 Replies - 1013 Views - Last Post: 29 July 2008 - 09:50 AM

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Cuil

Posted 29 July 2008 - 08:08 AM

Well folks there is a new search engine out there that already has "121,617,892,992 web pages" indexed, and some people have already started calling a google killer. Why are people making such assumptions you may ask? That is mostly because Cuil has at least 3 previous Google engineers and designers working on it to help and bring people the search results that they are wanting to see.

Cuil, an old Irish work for "knowledge" is looking better and better to some by implementing features that Google has yet to use. These features include:
Drilldowns - Basically a way to close the range of relevant search items. If you search for something ambiguous a box will popup asking if you would rather search further for something a little more specific giving you a window like so:
Posted Image
Tabs - Small clarifications that you can click on to make a more specific search, with hopes of getting more of what you want on a single page.
and Search Term Suggestions - While you are typing it offers various ideas of what you may be going towards and you can select one ofthem to make your search go faster.

Cuil looks to offer the most correct results based on the search input, and as such doesn't supposedly doesn't worry about popularity when search strings become more specific than 1 or 2 words.

In all, and after a little use their engine is fairly nice, has a few things to work out but is less than a year old so what can you expect? Check it out at Cuil.com

This post has been edited by BetaWar: 29 July 2008 - 09:04 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Cuil

• i am colt mccoy
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Cuil

Posted 29 July 2008 - 09:42 AM

i personally think it sucks. along with alot of the dic'ers on twitter i could tell from yesterdays comments. alot of wtf is the fuss about.

its slow, doesn't give me the results i want, and really the added functionality isn't something i would use.

alot like viewzi.com imo, just not that useful, maybe for a very specific task but that task isn't one that i have.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Cuil

Posted 29 July 2008 - 09:50 AM

Personally I won't be moving away from googl, it is okay, but not good enough to make me willing to switch. Like you said it seems to be a bit slow, and can get annoying as the additional functionality loads last changing the page layout.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1