Free compiler for C++

Free compiler for C++

Page 1 of 1

11 Replies - 1239 Views - Last Post: 30 July 2008 - 09:26 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Free compiler for C++

Post icon  Posted 29 July 2008 - 06:22 PM

Can anybody tell me what compiler is best for C++ and where I can get a free download for it. Thanks!
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Free compiler for C++

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Free compiler for C++

Posted 29 July 2008 - 06:50 PM

I use CodeBlocks, you can download it at codeblocks.org and then click on downloads then on download the binary release. Your Welcome
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 July 2008 - 06:53 PM

>>----> http://www.dreaminco...wtopic20933.htm <----<<
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 July 2008 - 03:32 AM

View PostC++ Programmer, on 29 Jul, 2008 - 06:50 PM, said:

I use CodeBlocks, you can download it at codeblocks.org and then click on downloads then on download the binary release. Your Welcome

codeblocks isnt a compiler... its an ide, GCC is the compiler it uses.
MSVC is the best compiler around right now, and thats down to expert opinion of almost everyone who writes C++... and its free also :)

http://www.microsoft.com/express/vc/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code T(h)inkers
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 July 2008 - 05:01 AM

isn't MSVC also an IDE? although I do not know what compiler it uses.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 July 2008 - 05:07 AM

MSVC is the best compiler around right now,
Says who?

Actually VC++ is (in my opinion) NOT the best compiler, in fact it is not even a terribly good one. It works in a pinch. Personally I think that the Intel C++ compiler is far better (though more than a bit more expensive).

The biggest problem with Microsoft products in general is they only loosely comply with standards -- just enough so that you get comfortable and think your safe sticking to the standards -- then POW you are rudely reminded that Microsoft makes its OWN rules are you can just go suck it if you don't like it!!! Then you finally come to terms with the "microsoft way" and peace rains down upon you... that is until you try to migrate your code to another environment and then POW the wrath of the all mighty Microsoft smites you for your disloyalty.

and so you become one of these pathetic coders talking about how much you hate other platforms because your Microsoft tainted experience with them left you cold and bitter... its a long road to breaking the Microsoft addiction.

ON the flip side -- Microsoft products tend to have a lot of neat features that are just not available in the standards yet.

Microsoft's VC++ for example has a lot of CLI mixed in. Every once in a while you will see some poor poster trying to get help here with some VC++ code and be told, "That is not C/C++" by an well intentioned, but misinformed poster.

View Postred_4900, on 30 Jul, 2008 - 05:01 AM, said:

isn't MSVC also an IDE? although I do not know what compiler it uses.

MSVS (Visual studio) is an IDE. It comes with a compiler (mc).

To compile code for my x64 processor (before I got a real compiler) I used the microsoft compiler that comes with the 64bit platform SDK. However you can't plug this compiler into the free version of VS (at least not easily) so I just used another IDE and compiled using the mc compiler.

This post has been edited by NickDMax: 30 July 2008 - 05:03 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Everybody's crazy but me!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 July 2008 - 08:51 AM

My college professor recommended Dev-C++. It's free. I've used it for several months without a problem.

http://www.bloodshed...dev/devcpp.html
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 July 2008 - 09:39 AM

I use Dev-C++, Code::Blocks, MSVC++08 Express (free), and command line gcc.

I would have to say I like MSVC the best, though you have to be wary of non-standard compliance, as NickDMax said. Code::Blocks I like because it is open source so i can compile it to run for the couple of oddball linux distros i have sitting around on some of my computers... though I prefer windows, personally. Anyway, Dev-C++ is good because of its update system which can download and install third party libraries and such easily.

However, Dev-C++ tries to nudge you into indenting like this, which i don't really like:
if(exp)
   {
	//stuff
   }

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 July 2008 - 11:46 AM

I prefer to use gcc (usually with Code::Blocks as my IDE, although I will sometimes use vim). I also do really like the way the Visual Studio IDE "feels", so I use that often as well. Used to use Dev-C++, back when it was still developed, but I replaced it with Code::Blocks.

View Postpolymath, on 30 Jul, 2008 - 11:39 AM, said:

However, Dev-C++ tries to nudge you into indenting like this, which i don't really like:
if(exp)
   {
	//stuff
   }

Nice thing about Code::Blocks... You can tell it how you want it to help you indent. I always set it to use K&R style -
void main() {
	printf("Hello, world!\n");

return 0;
}

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 July 2008 - 02:40 PM

VC++ wants you to do it that way anyway, and C::B i know works for that kind too.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 30 July 2008 - 04:56 PM

For freedom - Dev C++ all the way.

There's nothing like having someone sit infront of your computer and asking what the program "Bloodshed" does :)

For speed of code - Intel C++ Compiler (does cost money, but if the company pays, we all win)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 July 2008 - 09:26 PM

Maybe I just don't know how to use it, but Dev-C++ aggravates the crap out of me.

As far as IDE's go, I have to say my favorite IDE was VS 6. Now the new VS is fancy and probably really neat, but the one feature that I really need (since most of my C++ programming these days are posts here on DIC) is the ability to just open a file and paste in some code and go. I hate having to build a project and then have to choose a location and a name for 8 different files etc. It has too much overhead.

In Dev-C++ (and VS 6) I can click new file, paste in some code, and hit compile and tada. I would rather use notepad and a command line compiler than have to work in the new Visual Studio (which I admit is a fantastic IDE all else considered). I like Borland Developer Studio too, but again the overhead of projects really blows for 98% of the work I do in C++.

So while Dev-C++ aggravates me... thats what I use.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1