11 Replies - 1021 Views - Last Post: 05 August 2008 - 06:41 AM

• i am colt mccoy
  • member icon

• View blog

China rescinds promise to open the internet

Posted 31 July 2008 - 01:07 PM

Part of the deal with the Olympics going to China is that China would open the internet while the games were going on, for the reporters and visitors there, but also from the western viewpoint to show freedom. However, just recently, like yesterday a week before the opening games, they rescinded that promise and apparently have had a secret deal in place with the International Olympics Commitee.

Personally, I think its really sad that the agreement was made, and more so it was kept secret.

So far China has done real poorly in regards to the games. The air quality is still twice as bad as the international recommendation, reporters aren't getting full access and that whole Black/Mongolian racism thing to try to 'clean up' the streets is terrible.

Story about the internet staying behind the great firewall of china :

http://www.news.com..../beij...5014104,00.html

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: China rescinds promise to open the internet

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: China rescinds promise to open the internet

Posted 31 July 2008 - 01:35 PM

China has (as expected) fucked this up beyond comprehension. I can't believe the committee even let them host it, but I'm pretty sure this will be the last time.

Idiots. I was watching a documentary where the kids were singing "Oh Communist China I know you will provide for me. Oh Communist China, you are so mighty and powerful"

or some bullshit like that. Brainwashed.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 July 2008 - 01:42 PM

I think it's fucked up. The Olympics are the single largest sporting event in the world, and these "kids" train their assess off to compete once every 4 years, and to let China control that is just beyond comprehension. I, as with Chris, was completely stunned that the IOC allowed China to host these game, and truly hope it is the last time they are allowed to host them. What exactly was the IOC thinking when they chose China? Did they really expect China would change centuries of actions just because they were allowed to host them?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• i am colt mccoy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 July 2008 - 01:57 PM

I've been reading alot on it because it amazes me for many of the same reasons. One of my favorite was some guy whos spent the last 3 years of his life away from his family building one of their high-rise hotels or some such specifically for the olympics.... put all his time and effort into it and wanted to stay to watch the games or at least be a part of it while it was going on in the city... is being shipped off back to his homeland to clean up the streets so it doesn't seem overcrowded with workers and less-fortunate.

olympics 2012 : mogadishu.

who's down?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• i am colt mccoy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2008 - 12:33 PM

China is wasting international goodwill with an Olympic security operation that makes the country look like a police state, according to the artist behind Beijing's spectacular new stadium.

Ai Weiwei, one of China's most influential intellectuals, says the government is using the "terrorist threat" as an excuse to strengthen its power.

another story from the creator of the 'birds nest' :

http://www.guardian....lympicgames2008
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2008 - 03:35 PM

News aside... the editor responsible for that article should be fired. It is a really badly written article: The bottom half looks like copy-paste work, there are numerous typos, and it is not very logically organized.

"In what has been dubbed the Great Firewall of China, Beijing officials on Wednesday abruptly announced that a seven-year pledge to open their online pipes to the world had been axed." -- As far as I know the "great firewall" of China has been up for over 10 years now and this reiteration of China's stance on the internet is hardly anything terribly surprising. Sure its aggravating for China to act all coy with the international media and then sucker punch them right before the Games, but the "Great Firewall of China" is nothing new.

What is happening to our news organizations?

This post has been edited by NickDMax: 03 August 2008 - 03:37 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• i am colt mccoy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2008 - 08:29 PM

its british. we don't expect much.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2008 - 06:53 AM

Of course its messed up. But they knew that the promise to open the internet wouldn't last. I mean, its not like the Olympic committee was ever going to change the location for the Olympics based on whether or not the net was open. There is simply not enough of an incentive for them to open up the internet-we're still going to pour billions of dollars in advertising and publicity into their economy. China knew it wouldn't have to change. Unfortunately, we need them more than they need us- I think they're also the single biggest buyer of U.S. treasury bonds. links attached...

http://blog.wired.co...rce-depart.html
http://blog.wired.co...as-senator.html
http://www.atimes.co...y/FA23Dj01.html
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2008 - 06:28 PM

The American news media is destroying our country. China censoring internet/television is nothing new. When I was in Beijing, I was watching CNN on the day I was going to fly out, a story started to run about some skirmishes with Tibet--boom! channel goes out. Eventually people will get tired of being hungry or powerless--capitalism always wins in the end.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2008 - 06:43 PM

I think the IOC was a bit forced to hold the Olympics there. After all, like it or not, China has roughly 1/6th of the worlds population and is quickly becoming the next emerging super power. And whether or not we like it all or not we are going to be forced to deal with the Chinese on some level in the future.

As far as I am concerned this is many people's fault that this is becoming the reality but I have one group to truly blame... and remember I am American... is the Americans. We have a great country and all, but we have fucked up too many things in our society that now we have lazy people who can't think for themselves, sit at home watching Maury Povich or Oprah all day collecting food stamps and using them to buy drugs and alcohol that the Chinese has pretty much been able to work their way straight through to almost super power status.

I am sorry to those who work hard every day in America but when you are part of only like 10% of America that is pulling their weight, eventually the other 90% is going to hold you back.

This is not to condone what China or IOC has done, but in world affairs it is getting harder to deny China anything. I think the IOC just buckled to the pressure and here we are afraid to pull the games because of what China may do because of it.

Welcome to the reality. :(
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2008 - 07:06 PM

I agree. The real power today is economics.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Segmentation fault
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 August 2008 - 06:41 AM

Nazi Germany got to hold the Olympics, I don't see why this is any different.

I don't necessarily agree with China's policies, but the Olympics are an international event. If you don't like the Olympics being held there then take it up with the IOC, you can't blame China for typical committee bullheadedness. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1