2D, openGL, C++ (where?)

Looking for openGL 2D tutorials for C++

Page 1 of 1

4 Replies - 16642 Views - Last Post: 02 August 2008 - 05:13 PM Rate Topic: -----

• En man från Sverige!

• View blog

2D, openGL, C++ (where?)

Posted 01 August 2008 - 08:19 PM

I have been at google for over a hour now looking for video tutorials/lessons and books (both free & buy).
But I don't find anything. I know openGL is for 3D but I don't wanna use SDL or anything else I wanna use openGL.
So now I try to post a thread here and hope for the best.

What I am looking for:
A Book or video tutorial(s) that cover the basics and how I develop a openGL 2D game engine
that uses tiles and sprites. Not necessarily with multiplayer and sound support.

I have been looking at 3D Buzz OpenGL In-Depth but I didn't see if they only use openGL when it come
to the 2D. Like I said I don't wanna use SDL or something similar too SDL. I wanna use openGL :)

So if anyone know any book or video tutorials that cover openGL + 2D with tiles and sprites not necessarily
only 2D. Please let me know where I can find & download/purchase the material.

E-books are acceptable if they are in PDF format.
Downloads are acceptable (for video tutorials).

If you are telling me about a book be sure to include the ISBN and a description about it!

Now I am off to bed so post many good & useful replies!

By the way I did a quick search here on "openGL 2D" but ended up with:
"Sorry, but we did not find any matches to display. Try again and broaden your search criteria. If you were
searching for new posts since your last visit, it's possible that there are none to show.
"

PS look at the time this thread was written, so if anything is "blurry" about what I am looking for just ask don't
flame me! Sorry if my grammar is bad to! (local time: 05:16)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1

Replies To: 2D, openGL, C++ (where?)

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: 2D, openGL, C++ (where?)

Posted 02 August 2008 - 04:41 AM

its important to understand the basic of opengl like the 3d stuff first, before you stick to the 2D stuff.

1 way to use openGL for 2D only is use the glOrtho view. (you could search this in google and get results)

I started learning openGL with the Nehe tutorials.
Nehe Tutoirals
Lessons are on the left menu on the page. you can always download the html, so that you got a copy offline.

If you follow them, you should have a solid understanding of openGL and the 2D side of it by lesson 21. Like i said before, its important to understand the fundementals of openGL and this is best done in a 3D environment.

This post has been edited by bobjob: 02 August 2008 - 04:45 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Segmentation fault
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2008 - 12:56 PM

http://search.barnes...p/9780201604580

It's a little old, but the only significant thing added to the newer books is a section on shaders, something you probably wouldn't get into yet anyways.

I got my copy for 2$ + shipping. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2008 - 04:29 PM

Honestly the only thing you really have to know is glOrtho and the fact that you use quads as tiles. Then texture map to these quads. Ok, that's really oversimplified, but I guess the best way is just to learn the basics of 3d with opengl and then you can probably figure out how to transform that knowledge into an ability to use it for 2d.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Segmentation fault
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2008 - 05:13 PM

You can't really learn specific bits and pieces of OpenGL if you want to use it effectively.

Maybe if you get lucky you can mash some OpenGL code together, and maybe it will work, but debugging will become a living hell later.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1