Eclipse for java games?

Hi i was thinking of using Eclipse to create Java Browser games

Page 1 of 1

8 Replies - 21675 Views - Last Post: 06 August 2008 - 02:41 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Eclipse for java games?

Posted 02 August 2008 - 07:27 AM

Hello.. i have downloaded Eclipse Platform and i found out that i can do "Hello World" on Eclipse just like in my Java book i have recently bough, but i was wondering is it possible to create JAVA GAMES with eclipse?

Thankyou
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Eclipse for java games?

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Eclipse for java games?

Posted 02 August 2008 - 10:25 AM

Of course it is possible, just like with any other compiler, you just have to put the right code in the right places adn it will work.

Sorry that this isn't very informative I don't really program in Java (yet) but java games are possible so I am pretty sure that it is compiler independent.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2008 - 10:37 AM

Ok thanks.. i've done some of my stuff on eclipse through the "Learn java programming in 24 hours" and the java stuff works on eclipse :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2008 - 12:17 PM

Eclipse is just an IDE. So anything that you can do in Java, you can do in Eclipse. Its just a development environment.

Well its more than that really. Its a Development Environment Platform. Which means that it is often used to build specialized IDEs.

So, it may be that there are some great plugins to aid in game development (but I have never run across any -- in fact I would imagine that would be a popular open source project to open -- IF such a project doesn't already exist).

Personally I really like Eclipse, BUT when I first started I hated it... but once I learned all about the various bells and whistles I really feel comfortable using it. On the other hand NetBeans is also a great IDE, and Oracle JDeveloper is not too shabby.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2008 - 10:01 PM

When writing games in JAVA I really like JCreator because Eclipse and NetBeans are way too slow for my tastes.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Segmentation fault
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2008 - 07:56 AM

View PostWolfCoder, on 4 Aug, 2008 - 01:01 AM, said:

When writing games in JAVA I really like JCreator because Eclipse and NetBeans are way too slow for my tastes.

I agree that Eclipse has a massive memory footprint, but I don't see any reason why someone would want to use a different IDE just for game development. :blink:

Generally if you have a somewhat modern CPU, and >=256 MiB of ram, Eclipse runs fine.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 August 2008 - 12:04 AM

Except for it doesn't run fine for me and I've got a monster computer. However, JCreator is also simpler, and more to-the-point.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Segmentation fault
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 August 2008 - 05:16 AM

View PostWolfCoder, on 5 Aug, 2008 - 03:04 AM, said:

Except for it doesn't run fine for me and I've got a monster computer. However, JCreator is also simpler, and more to-the-point.

Well to each his own. I haven't used JCreator in a few years so maybe it has changed. I'll have to take a look at it again.

At the time it was a decent IDE, but very basic. I think it would be a good choice for new programmers, and possibly for experienced programmers as well depending on what they're doing. :^:

Eclipse is nice if you code in more than just Java, and any feature that it doesn't have is usually available as a plugin.

I think the most important bit is the fact that Eclipse basically runs on any platform that has a JRE, which isn't a big deal if you're developing on your own, but if you're working with other people on a project everyone using the same development environment makes things a lot easier. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• sudo apt-get install brain
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 August 2008 - 02:41 AM

I'd recommend getting NetBeans and using that. When I started out, it was very easy to make several different types of Java projects (such a ME, SE, EE, JSP) with a three clicks of a mouse.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1