• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

54 Replies - 1879 Views - Last Post: 13 August 2008 - 02:31 AM

#1 Guest_Whizzy*

Why DIC?

Posted 02 August 2008 - 09:03 AM

When you go to Google advanced search, and type in:
learn C++, learn Java, Learn Delphi or whatever, you get s shitload of resources. I also noticed, (on these three anyway) DIC is not listed, atleast not on the first page...

So, Why did you decide to make Dic your home? What would you do if DIC ever went off line for good?

Me? I came on looking into the prospect of learnning C++, and I was about to log off, when I got slammed by supersloth over something stupid, and pety... I thought, what an asshole!! This must be the place for me! The rest as they say... is history.

If DIC ever went offline... I suppose I'd go over to another site, maybe Cplusplus.com, learncpp.com, maybe even Programmers heaven. However, it wouldn't be the same.
The people on here with a few exceptions, are quite clever, witty, and just fun to hang out with.

How about you?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0

Replies To: Why DIC?

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Why DIC?

Posted 02 August 2008 - 09:18 AM

Old websites never die they just assert and get re-malloc'd

I'm used to the Code Project but its really a style thing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 BetaWar  Icon User is online

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2008 - 10:13 AM

I don't remember what I needed help with but it had to do with php so I joined asked my questions (a lot of them, as you can see my largest post segment still comes from PHP forums; 20% of my total) and then I realized that I could be of help to others here on DIC so I spread out. I didn't post much last year but I also didn't do much other than school last year so ya. DIC just seemed like the place to be and hang out to talk about my interests (at least most of them) and the people are cool (for the most part).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2008 - 10:23 AM

I look for programming topics regularly and I always stumble across DIC links. We are high on the search engines for a lot of related topics. We also have lots of people come here and tell us in the introduce yourself forums that they found us through a Google search for a programming topic. So we are being found regularly.

I came here to exclusively look for a forum that was helpful and that I could contribute to. DIC was one of the few boards that actually had a balance of play as well as serious programming topics. Not to mention the organization of topics was done well and very simple to navigate.

Plus DIC wasn't filled with a bunch of people who didn't care about the answers they gave. You could tell the quality was much higher. Go to another board and ask a question and you will get either 1) smartass replies 2) simply wrong replies or 3) a ton of replies attempting to guess or 4) a bunch of replies asking nothing but other questions unrelated to the problem but addressing only the symptoms (these disguise themselves as "well just put this hack in")

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2008 - 10:34 AM

I joined after seeing how active this community was. On other forums, I would have to wait around 2 days before getting an answer, usually an unsatisfactory one. Here I can get a good one in hours.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• GabehabeSwamp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2008 - 11:01 AM

I found it while searching for some embarassingly noobish C++ question, when I hadn't been doing C++ for too long. It was the second result, and I liked the community. The guys here seemed friendlier than most other communities.

Wow, this tab has actually been open for about 2 hours, I forgot all about it.

Anyway, yeah, DIC is my home and if it got shut down I would threaten someone who is high in power to bring it back.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• class Me : Perfection
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2008 - 11:05 AM

View Postindrora, on 2 Aug, 2008 - 11:18 AM, said:

Old websites never die they just assert and get re-malloc'd

I'm used to the Code Project but its really a style thing.

I'm a Code Project member too. I've been with them just as long as i've been with DIC, but i discovered DIC first when it was around the 70K members mark. The reason i like Code Project is because they have 5 million+ members, so it looks like you have a bit of catching up to do. I have to say you win when it comes to site design, though.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2008 - 11:07 AM

The reason i like Code Project is because they have 5 million+ members, so it looks like you have a bit of catching up to do.

Quality over Quantity... at least that's what the ladies say...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2008 - 11:17 AM

I joined </dream.in.code> after I found out that this community is the most helpful. It's very well maintained and regularly updated. Plus, the general 'atmosphere' here is very friendly and interesting, so I can say that </dream.in.code> is my online home. I like helping people on programming topics and </dream.in.code> is the right place to do this.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2008 - 11:24 AM

View Postjacobjordan, on 2 Aug, 2008 - 11:05 AM, said:

The reason i like Code Project is because they have 5 million+ members.

I went on their site a few minutes ago. I used their search function to go through their articles and stuff, but I didn't see any PHP category. No PHP == No visit from me :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The king of Nynex
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2008 - 11:48 AM

I was looking for dick.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2008 - 12:12 PM

It was advertised about 4 or more years ago in one of my old classes.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2008 - 12:44 PM

View Postskyhawk133, on 2 Aug, 2008 - 02:07 PM, said:

The reason i like Code Project is because they have 5 million+ members, so it looks like you have a bit of catching up to do.

Quality over Quantity... at least that's what the ladies say...

I thought it was length over girth?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Segmentation fault
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2008 - 01:00 PM

I answered this question in my first/second post I believe.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2008 - 01:31 PM

I came here thru Google search for some vb.net help, I was not remembering what I was looking for but It ended up in a thread by jayman9. And the solution he provided was so clear and satisfying. That made me hang out for a while and gradually I found that, no more I am an orphan (On Internet), this is my home.

I have seen hell lot of programming forums in my life, but I haven’t seen such nice attitude from people anywhere else. People are competing to provide solutions!!!! Amazing design is one more thing which strikes me on this site, good work Cris and team.

View Postgabehabe, on 2 Aug, 2008 - 11:31 PM, said:

Anyway, yeah, DIC is my home and if it got shut down I would threaten someone who is high in power to bring it back.

If DIC goes offline, I will join gabehabe.

This post has been edited by dineeshd: 02 August 2008 - 02:55 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »