Do you think programming is hard to learn?

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

78 Replies - 8982 Views - Last Post: 29 October 2011 - 05:41 PM

#16 KYA  Icon User is online

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Do you think programming is hard to learn?

Posted 07 August 2008 - 08:34 AM

So true :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Bastard Operator From Hell
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2008 - 08:42 AM

As for me I don't think it is hard but it depends on how much time you put into it.

The way I do it: Read each chapter, do the exercises, implement your own rewrite, and test if it work, so for me it is lather,rinse, and repeat until I understand how to do it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• sudo apt-get install brain
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2008 - 09:01 AM

I never really kept to uch to the books. I read a chapter and if I didn't understand it, looked on the nternet for snippets, sort explanations aswell as other things. Or I'd jsut leave it for aslong as needed and then when I come back, hay-presto! I understand it with great ease!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2008 - 09:08 AM

I probably don't know nearly as many languages as some of the people here at dreamincode, but from my experience, having taken college courses in Java, the object-oriented languages I know use the same logic - and usually the same syntax for basic stuff (if..else/while/etc...) and the rest is just getting to know the ins and outs of the rest of the syntax... I am going to be teaching myself C++ soon, I use mostly the internet (tutorials and what not) and learn by doing, thats what works for me.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2008 - 07:13 PM

programming is easy..some hard work is required.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 August 2008 - 01:33 AM

Learning programming is far away from learning to program in specific language.
It's way of thinking and it's time consuming thing.

Coding in a language you choose is easy.

This post has been edited by MitkOK: 08 August 2008 - 01:52 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 August 2008 - 01:49 AM

Basically its all depends upon the individual skills. Still when you start learning something new it may look so hard. But when you sit and start analyzing things one by one, gradually it will come to your hold. Ultimate thing is that whatever programming language you use, you need to have a good programming logic. And that come from the hard work and keen interest.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 August 2008 - 06:12 AM

Imo, it's like Maths. You don't necessarily need to study for it to improve, rather use it everyday.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 August 2008 - 06:16 AM

View PostRodgerB, on 9 Aug, 2008 - 06:12 AM, said:

Imo, it's like Maths. You don't necessarily need to study for it to improve, rather use it everyday.

I guess it's more formilurizing and getting a good understanding with it and implementing the code that you've learned in different situations.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 August 2008 - 01:03 PM

I do not have a degree in Computer Science because I always found programming to be easy. Once I was in school I did not always find computer science to be easy, but once I understand a concept I have no problem coding it.

So I went for the degree in mathematics. I discovered that the only problems I ever really faced in CS was understanding the mathematics... so that is where I choose to focus my study.

Of course the school I went to was kind of funny, a CS major who wanted to double major CS/Mathematics only had a couple of classes more they had to take, but a Mathematics student who wanted to double major with CS had to take a bunch of extra classes. I always found it amusing that this was not symmetric.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 August 2008 - 01:29 PM

I'm surprized because this topic actually really helped me find out what others thought of programming and helped me relize that it isn't programming that's hard, but the concept and the mathmatics behind it. So, I thank everyone who posted in this topic! :^:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Segmentation fault
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 August 2008 - 06:40 PM

Writing the code is easy, thinking about the concepts are not.

My advice is to start a project.

My first serious project was making a Naughts and Crosses game in the command line with Java. My second serious project was rewriting the game with a GUI using Swing. My third serious project was writing a note taking application using Swing for one of my classes.

My Java I/II and AP Computer Science classes didn't really have homework. We didn't get projects, or have tests. It was basically a slot of time during the school day where we could work on programming projects, show them off, and ask the teacher for help/advice if we needed it.

My point is that I learned more by just going and making things than I did by studying. I think that's the case with pretty much every subject really, it's just harder to find an "entertaining" math project to work on (for example). :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 August 2008 - 08:01 PM

The difficult part for me in programming is starting a project. If I want to make a CMS using PHP/MySQL, I have to decide what to start first. It takes me a while before I even type my first line to figure out how I want to approach the problem. But after that, coding is the easier part.

As far as programming itself goes, I never got into software languges due to my failiure in the field of mathematics, and my inability to grasp pointers and memory management. Hopefully I will jump those hurdles one day :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 August 2008 - 08:02 PM

I don't think it's hard to learn, but it is hard to master.

I've been a web developer now for quite a while (freelance for a few years and now "professionally" in an office with some snazzy dress pants)..... and every morning, I go into work feeling like an absolute idiot.

It is a perpetual case of "Oh, crap, what are they gonna hand me today that I don't know how to do?" I am always able to figure it out.... occasionally, it requires some DIC-magnitude assistance, but I manage to solve it all somehow. Which is good. It means I get to keep my job a while longer. :P But it can be very humbling to have 95 finished, published works floating around the web.... thinking you've somehow got it all figured out.... and suddenly be handed something - or asked for something - that you haven't a clue how to even start.

I guess, ultimately, there is no "mastering" the code.... there is always a new trick to learn.... a new tweak to try. I don't know if the feeling of inadequacy goes away in time... or if you just reach a point where you don't really care anymore.... but as a newcomer to the full on "professional" world.... I show up everyday in my moron helmet and hope for the best.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#30 KYA  Icon User is online

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 August 2008 - 08:18 PM

As soon as a programmer thinks he/she knows enough/it all, they are toast. Life is a never ending process of learning and adapting.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »