Do you think programming is hard to learn?

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

78 Replies - 9025 Views - Last Post: 29 October 2011 - 05:41 PM

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Do you think programming is hard to learn?

Posted 09 August 2008 - 09:53 PM

I guess I feel like everyone else in this thread does. It's not the code that's hard, but the concepts.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• sudo apt-get install brain
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 August 2008 - 05:14 AM

View PostTom9729, on 9 Aug, 2008 - 06:40 PM, said:

Writing the code is easy, thinking about the concepts are not.

My advice is to start a project.

My first serious project was making a Naughts and Crosses game in the command line with Java. My second serious project was rewriting the game with a GUI using Swing. My third serious project was writing a note taking application using Swing for one of my classes.

My Java I/II and AP Computer Science classes didn't really have homework. We didn't get projects, or have tests. It was basically a slot of time during the school day where we could work on programming projects, show them off, and ask the teacher for help/advice if we needed it.

My point is that I learned more by just going and making things than I did by studying. I think that's the case with pretty much every subject really, it's just harder to find an "entertaining" math project to work on (for example). :)

I did start a project. It's a simple text editor called nText (short for NerdText), infact you suggested I should do it! :lol:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The king of Nynex
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 August 2008 - 02:27 PM

I agree it's not hard to learn but some of the concepts are and it differs depending on your other learning.

What for me is the stumbling block is that which only comes with time, experience.
Specifically I am currently learning ASP .Net using C#. How to write my methods isn't that hard a question, C# is very similar to the Java I've written in before, but I simply don't have the knowledge of all the APIs. I would go about a task in a far more efficient manner if I knew what API would be best to use but since largely I don't know what APIs exist I often find myself trying to re-invent the wheel until someone sys "why don't you just use x?" and I have a sudden burst of success where formerly I was stuck as I find the code I'm trying to work out has already been written for me.
After a few years using many of the APIs it'll be second nature but right now that lack of knowledge/experience makes it difficult.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Everybody's crazy but me!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 August 2008 - 11:23 PM

When I first started programming (using Visual Basic.NET) I thought it was really easy. I had no clue. lol. All we did in that class for the first month or so was the GUI. Oh, yeah, and TOE charts. Really easy.

As for the actual coding, learning the syntax really isn't all that hard to do, but learning everything that goes along with it does take some time. Some of the concepts are hard to understand at first. So far I understand pretty much everything that I've come across in programming, but there is so much more to learn.

I wonder if I will ever stop feeling like a beginner.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 August 2008 - 09:04 PM

i start programing a couple month ago (using vb.net). at the first time, i thought it was really hard, but when i manage to solve the problem, it was really fun.

still i though it's hard, especially when my office give me assigment to create web using asp.net because i dont have a knowledge about web programing, like javascript..... i need to learn more
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• class Me : Perfection
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 August 2008 - 08:07 PM

That depends what language. Yeah, if you start out in assembly, it's gonna be hard. However, if you start out in something super easy, like VB, it will be easier. I started in VB.NET. It's a great starter language. It helps you get down the fundamentals and the art of programming, without something as complicated as C++ to learn and understand. Once you know one language, you know what programming is all about and it becomes very quick and easy to learn another.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 August 2008 - 09:59 PM

To me coding is like music, the instruments are just extensions of your creativity. That was my issue, i had so many ideas and plans about different programs i couldn't learn coding fast enough, or efficient enough. Now its finding code for all the things i want to do.

Z
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 August 2008 - 07:06 AM

View PostTom9729, on 7 Aug, 2008 - 05:18 AM, said:

Learning how to program isn't really any different from learning in general.

that true and may please tell how to create a gorgeous form and how to create visualisation for media player.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 August 2008 - 10:52 AM

Learning programming isn't hard. Learning to program well isn't exactly hard, it just takes forever, since two-thirds of the process is doing things in a whole lot of ways that are bad ideas and storing away the "whoops, let's not do that again". It's much like Thomas Edison and his discovery of a thousand ways how not to make a lightbulb.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 August 2008 - 04:05 AM

well a technique i found to be a little useful for me was to try previously written code that i had written i another
language in a current language that i am learning.once the language that i am learning has the necessary syntax necessary to get to the end i just use it . i learn the basic syntax (switches,if,else ,etc..) and i am reliasing that it sometimes cuts the time that i need to use to learn a language as i am in a way using most of that languages features as i am writing the same program but in a diffrernt language .programming i think boils down to your logic and if your logic or let me put it this way understanding of program flow is very good ,the rest i think is just syntax
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gabe's Nemesis
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 August 2008 - 04:13 AM

If you can get the program square in your head and translate it successfully to the necessary language and correct syntax, then thats it sorted
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 August 2008 - 04:17 AM

View Posthomemade-jam, on 27 Aug, 2008 - 04:13 AM, said:

If you can get the program square in your head and translate it successfully to the necessary language and correct syntax, then thats it sorted

yep .exactly that
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• GabehabeSwamp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 September 2008 - 06:38 AM

Personally, I find it really easy to learn it. I've always found it easy to learn things quickly~

The most important thing to learning anything is to make sure you enjoy it. If you find it boring, it's gonna be hard to take in (which is why I only got a C in history) :P

Anyway:
Make sure you enjoy it, and don't take on anything that's too big. Taking on a big project that you're not ready for will lead to you thinking "oh shit, I can't do this" then giving up all hope.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#44 KYA  Icon User is online

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:08 AM

Abandon hope, all ya who enter here. Gabe have you ever been to the London Dungeon?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• GabehabeSwamp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:30 AM

Nope~

Are you just asking me that because of this: Posted Image ?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »