6 Replies - 2284 Views - Last Post: 09 August 2008 - 10:35 AM

• Code T(h)inkers
  • member icon

• View blog

Programmer, System Engineer, Game Programmer

Posted 08 August 2008 - 02:58 AM

As the title says it all, I would like to ask those of you who are more knowledgeable in this field than me, what's the difference between programmer, system engineer, game programmer. Does the requirement to be each one of them the same? How much is there a difference between all those three? Discuss.

And in case you might ask why are there game programmer title there, it's because IMO game programming and general programming is a different kettle altogether. I might be wrong, it's just my opinion. I'm still very much a beginner compared to some of you. :)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Programmer, System Engineer, Game Programmer

• Segmentation fault
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Programmer, System Engineer, Game Programmer

Posted 08 August 2008 - 05:23 AM

Game programming is just programming. The only difference I think you could argue is that if you're a one man team, there's usually a whole lot more content generation when programming a game than there is when programming some other kind of application. :)

Systems programming is what it sounds like. http://en.wikipedia....tem_programming
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• code.rascal
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 August 2008 - 07:17 AM

Are you referring here to actual job titles, or college/university courses?

In general, I'd say a general programmer is usually a business logic programmer, who has more experience in programming... er uhm, business logic: implementing business processes, dealing with databases, and so on. A game programmer's field of expertise is a bit different, it is closer to programming the simulation of the virtual world of the games, implementing physics, character interaction and so on. It should not be confused with graphics programming, graphics artists, level design, those are completely different titles. As Tom wrote, if we are talking about a one man army, you must do all of these, but these are still distinct roles.
Finally a system engineer is an engineering field, so it is more towards planning, design, integration, life-cycle management, and so on besides development. It might have different meanings depending on the context, so it can be something Tom linked in his post as well.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code T(h)inkers
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 August 2008 - 06:56 AM

I was referring to job title. is there any chance one can change their career between each of that? example : from system engineer to game programmer.

I'm going to further my studies in Information System and maybe doing software engineering in the university that I applied. when I told my lecturer I aspires to be a game programmer, he asked me to re-think and change my course choice. so I was wondering whether I would still be able to be a game programmer even if my syllabus is geared towards making me a system engineer.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 August 2008 - 08:28 AM

information systems almost sounds like IT, which isn't really programming at all
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code T(h)inkers
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 August 2008 - 09:54 AM

bear in mind that the japanese's name is different from what is used in europe or america. although it sounds like IT, it's not. and I do have programming classes. like I told you, the syllabus is geared more towards producing a system engineer.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 August 2008 - 10:35 AM

go on the track that will lead you to what you want to do later
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -