11 Replies - 1553 Views - Last Post: 22 August 2008 - 03:11 PM

• Pirate Medic
  • member icon

• View blog

Critique my resume

Posted 11 August 2008 - 05:37 PM

OK so I got off my ass and created a hybrid resume style of quantitive and experiece resume's If yall would be interested in taking a look at it and offering input please let me know.

I am basically shooting for team leader/ supervisor/ beginning managment / network administration in the 50-60k/yr range

Carl's Resume

Oh and that document is in my public drop box so as I make revisons it will replicate.

This post has been edited by Thorian: 11 August 2008 - 05:41 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Critique my resume

• Pirate Medic
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Critique my resume

Posted 13 August 2008 - 09:22 AM

Buler anyone?

Any comments at all?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 August 2008 - 09:33 AM

It was good, but I was always told to keep a resume on one page. What is the official rule on that?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Barbarbar
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 August 2008 - 09:33 AM

Sorry, I guess I expected people more qualified than I am to comment.

In my opinion, you don't need an 'objective' statement(I never put one on my resume), and if you do you should tailor it to the company you're applying for.

Also, why so many skills? I don't think you need so many headings, and I am not so sure that all of them classify as skills - "Entrusted to manage confidental information, while ensuring there were no breaches of customer data" - wouldn't that be a job description?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 August 2008 - 11:08 AM

I've been told, by reliable sources, that job descriptions should be limited, while what you accomplished in that job is more important i.e. any awards, new skills learned, promotions, or recognition of any sort, is valued by employers because it shows them that you are a good worker, and all that other bs that comes with it

Also, on the design side, I wouldn't use Times, or Arial... Choose something that is readable, professional, but still representative of you. I like Calibri, and use it a lot. If you want to impress then add a little more design work into your resume, no graphics or anything, but consider the placement/size/font choices, and make it a little more aesthetically pleasing.

By the way, if you are worried about whoever is viewing does not have your font, convert to pdf - then everyone can see it and if you don't have Acrobat to convert you get 5 free ones here http://createpdf.adobe.com/

If I helped then great, and as with all advice you can take it or leave it :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pirate Medic
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 August 2008 - 12:51 PM

Since I really was not that impressed with the 2 page one I put up here are 2 more older ones that I have updated.

Attached File(s)

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• i am colt mccoy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 August 2008 - 01:02 PM

just a note, the university says you don't want an objective statement unless you are changing career paths . if your on the same track you don't need one, but if your going into a different field you want to say how past experience will help but point to a new goal.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pirate Medic
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 August 2008 - 01:14 PM

removed objective for version 1 under my origional link versions 2 and 3 didnt have an objective.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pirate Medic
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 August 2008 - 08:19 AM

any opinons on the other 2 revisions?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 August 2008 - 08:27 AM

I liked revision 3. It was more clear, concise, and to the point. Revision 2 was still too long in my opinion.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Everybody's crazy but me!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 August 2008 - 08:48 AM

I liked revision 3 better, too. I was told by a career center worker to put things like what you have in your Professional Profile in a cover letter instead of in the resume.

Other than that I really can't say much. I haven't had much luck finding a job either so maybe my resume isn't so great either.

Good luck! :^:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 August 2008 - 03:11 PM

Here are the revisions I would make. I changed everything to Tahoma font. I think since it's the font used in Windows, it's easier to scan through for data.

Paragraph indentation is your friend. I removed a lot of the mention of your medical training and certification. That is the sort of thing that should be discussed in an interview when they ask you about your volunteer work. It doesn't need to be listed under formal education. A potential employer should also not care which exact medical certs you have, unless you're trying to get hired specifically as an Office Medic or something.

An Enterprise training course on Java doesn't belong under education. It puts your education at the CCs on the same level, which you don't want to do. You do need to put the year you graduated or years attended for each education listing, UNLESS there's a huge gap in between HS/College and your first job listed.

Overall, readability should be the top goal of your resume. Less is more in most cases. Give them just enough to know that you're in the same field as the potential job... Then get them talking, asking you for specifics, which gets you talking, which helps build a connection.

Also, I strongly advise registering carlcampbell@gmail.com or something like that. If your address was at a site that you work for, volunteer at, or otherwise is a part of your resume, that's fine. But a shell of a blog about milking farm animals? That's a red flag.

I 2nd the notion to share your resume as a PDF. It just makes it feel like you put more time into it. I use Bullzip PDF Printer. It installs a printer in Windows called Bullzip, and when you print any document to it, it outputs a PDF. Pretty neat.

Attached File(s)

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1