• +

18 Replies - 1512 Views - Last Post: 25 August 2008 - 05:21 PM

• class Me : Perfection
  • member icon

• View blog

2 weeks, no restart

Posted 15 August 2008 - 02:12 PM

[attachment=8009:attachment]
That's correct. My Windows computer has been running for two weeks without a restart. As you can see, it's doing just fine. Usually, when my comp is begging my to restart it, Paint Shop Pro is the first to go, followed by Firefox, then Visual Studio, and so on. I used Paint Shop Pro to paste and crop that image, and i used firefox to write this post, so no problem! That's a big achievement considering i'm constantly debugging programs and have about 5 windows open at a time. I've already broken my previous record of about 6 days, and i'm still gonna go with it as long i don't get any trouble. I'm curious, Linux, Windows, or Mac users, what's the longest you've ever had your computer on? I assume mac and linux will be higher than windows, because as much as us loyal windows users will hate to admit it, your os's are more stable than windows.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: 2 weeks, no restart

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: 2 weeks, no restart

Posted 15 August 2008 - 02:36 PM

I haven't restarted my computer since sometime last month, according to my network connection my up-time is 29 days 13 hours. I hardly ever restart my computer, and I always have at least 4 instances of Visual Studio open, Photoshop open, FF is constantly open
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 August 2008 - 02:41 PM

You've got a lot to learn son. I had a Windows XP machine that was on for over a year without a restart.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 August 2008 - 03:10 PM

View Postskyhawk133, on 15 Aug, 2008 - 04:41 PM, said:

You've got a lot to learn son. I had a Windows XP machine that was on for over a year without a restart.

Damn, i can only imagine what your computer would of been like when you decided to restart it. I have trouble keeping mine on for more than a week.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g+ + -o drink whiskey.cpp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 August 2008 - 04:57 PM

While I use linux as my primary OS (and it's been running quite a while), I also have a windows machine (currently using vista) that has been up for the last 40 days or so. I usually leave my machines running all the time. Been a while, but i also remember having a windows 2003 machine that ran for about 6 months with no reboot.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 August 2008 - 05:16 PM

Keep in mind that my computer, over the past few months has been hit hard with viruses and spyware, had some nasty crapware on it, and has had me making some somewhat serious mistakes in my programs that cause some OS issues. I can understand with you Amadeus, linux and unix can run for years sometimes without needing a restart. Thing is, Windows can't, mainly because there are so many programs made for it that aren't exactly flawless, and can cause the OS to crash. I have such programs and use them often. Believe me, for my computer, this is a long time.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 August 2008 - 05:45 PM

@jacobjordan: Ive been using Windows since Windows 3.1 and have never had any issues like that. Ive never had to do reboots just for my computers to run, and have never been hit with viruses, spyware and the like. I run more applications than anyone I know, between my games and my development tools, and I almost never turn my computers off.

My file/print server, running Windows 2000, hasn't been rebooted in more than 9 months now, and zero issues whatsoever. My development server, running Windows 2003, has been on all this year without a reboot. I believe it truly has less to do with the OS and more to do with how a person treats their computer.

That's just my 2
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 August 2008 - 05:49 PM

That's kind of what i was trying to say in my previous post.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 August 2008 - 09:24 AM

I agree with Psycho about the I believe it truly has less to do with the OS and more to do with how a person treats their computer.... My computer is never on for more then a day (but only because of my giant graphics card that causes heat problems), but i never get issues with it... if any problems occur, however, they're from my graphics card (IE: heat problems), and not my actual OS.... in my experience, XP is actually rather stable on my computer...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 August 2008 - 09:39 AM

@JBrace1990: I was having a problem with my video card getting hot as well, sometimes as high as 58C (at rest), and I ended up purchasing myself this bad boy VGA cooler. It has done wonders for my system. I would suggest looking into one of these if you have a heat problem
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 August 2008 - 07:18 PM

nah, i don't really need one... i'm sure it WOULD be fine if I left it on constantly, i just don't like to... plus it's in my room, so kinda hard to sleep with it o_0 the average is about 68C, so it does run a lot... but hey, it's a 512MB graphics card... i'll live ^_~
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 August 2008 - 07:36 PM

I got a 1GB NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTS and mine runs way hot, so I ended up buying that cooler. Believe it or not its surprisingly quiet too
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Dic Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 August 2008 - 07:38 PM

While uptime can be a fun stat, it really just shows how long you've gone without doing updates.

If any of my FreeBSD servers get an uptime of more than 120 days, then I'm slacking on updating the kernel & the ports collection source code, which means my OS could have possible vulnerabilities.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 August 2008 - 08:55 AM

I'm with no2 on this, long uptime shows bad update management, particularly with a windows OS.

Hence my nervousness that the (horrible) SCO Unix box in our office hasn't been rebooted in about 3/4 years! Ahh well, we'll be ditching SCO in the not too distant future so I'm just gonna hang on for dear life for now.

p.s. having a server box in your IT room that you can do next to no management on in house is a massive alarm bell that you should never have bought the pain in the arse system that runs on it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Segmentation fault
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 August 2008 - 10:15 AM

Long up-time shows good management! The only things you should reboot for are hardware changes and kernel updates [and then, only when the update is necessary].

Here's an article on hot-patching the Linux kernel, which means you wouldn't have to restart even to patch the kernel.

Here's an article on hot-patching security updates in Windows 2003.

My main computer is a laptop so much up-time is usually pretty bad. My desktops would probably be running 24/7 except for the fact that they're within a few meters of where I sleep so noise is an issue.

Memory heavy programs don't really seem to like running for long periods of time [I'm looking at you Firefox and Eclipse]. Doesn't really matter what OS you're running them on...

Just an anecdote, but my Windows XP box at work needed a reboot about once a week. Yes, I know what I'm doing. Maybe it was something IT did wrong...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +