Should I Change To Ruby?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

25 Replies - 5847 Views - Last Post: 05 October 2009 - 05:45 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Should I Change To Ruby?

Posted 02 February 2009 - 12:20 PM

View PostInkman, on 13 Oct, 2008 - 12:00 PM, said:

umm, I am new here and all, I do believe that the guy just said, no one language is better.

In, my school I got started out with a book on ruby, so far I think its a pain, but thats cause I don't have logic or something and I am a complete beginner, I don't even know how to ask questions (noone understands me). it just makes me want to smash my brains in.

i just soo understand you. hope someday i will be able to ask the questions properly. and the real pain is-as soon as you start learning one language there are milion more out there.

that can get pretty confusing. i feel that all i do is learning, and none of the languages i have studied i donno "inside out". i really dont know how many years that might take.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 February 2009 - 09:08 AM

yeah like i wanted to make iphone apps, so i started to learn objective c, sure i've never programmed in c before, but i did it anyway (gotta start somewhere) if you want to make a website, learn about dynamic webpages with AJAX, Javascript, PHP. If you want to make an application then learn java or c or something.

its true that a lot of languages are simliar such as java or ruby each can just be used differently to accomplish a certain goal under a large tree. so just learn java, and then when you have a different project you can easily transition onto a different language that is better suited for that project.

plus java is important to learn for many different reasons, so start there, plus it's not as "hard" as c.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 February 2009 - 05:25 PM

View PostKingbradley6, on 16 Aug, 2008 - 07:00 AM, said:

(For those that scan read posts, please can you read all of it as it contains stuff to answer my question all the way through)

Well about 3 weeks ago I decided to learn a programming language.

I started off with C++ for a week but after reading some articles I found out that Java was going to be easier for someone that has never programmed before (I only know HTML & CSS).

So for 2 weeks I've been learning Java but I have found it quite hard. I get the jist of it but it does baffle me at times trying to do even the simplest of things.

public class Demo {

public static void main(String []args) {

int myFirstNumber = 1;
int mySecondNumber = 5;

if(myFirstNumber == mySecondNumber) {
System.out.println("The numbers match!");
}
else {
System.out.println("Unfortunately the numbers don't match");
}

}

}

The above Java code I can easily manage however that is about as far as it goes. So although the above is simple I don't understand anything more complex than that.

So I was wondering...

Should I stick with Java and just keep re-reading the same tutorial/s until I understand it or should I switch to ruby which at a quick first glance seems simple?

OR, should I change to ActionScript as I do have Adobe CS3 Flash, it's just I'm not good in any aspect of Flash from AS to drawing.

If it makes any difference, I want to be able to make online games with it.

P.S. Please don't say a game will take you ages to make and I'm setting my goals far too high. That's my goal and I want to complete it - I just don't know down which path to go.

I think you’re in the same boat as I am.
I want to make an online game as well.
What has worked for me, is starting off in Auto Hotkey.
It is simple and will get you to understand how things work.
Has good documentation.
But for making online games you want C++ or C#.
I will add if you are going to make the game bye your self, you are
going to spend more than 3-5Yrs on it.
Thats what I think.

This post has been edited by davidburger: 10 February 2009 - 05:40 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 March 2009 - 08:56 AM

Hi I need someone who knows ruby for the following project. http://www.vois.com/...cebook+app/378/ I am from Vois.com and this project was listed last night and we recently started the site a few weeks ago and have only a few Ruby guys so I am looking to help the buyer find the right person. If this is something you can do please bid. Vois is free! Please email me anytime craig@vois.com or on Vois http://www.vois.com/lapp/

View PostKingbradley6, on 16 Aug, 2008 - 07:00 AM, said:

(For those that scan read posts, please can you read all of it as it contains stuff to answer my question all the way through)

Well about 3 weeks ago I decided to learn a programming language.

I started off with C++ for a week but after reading some articles I found out that Java was going to be easier for someone that has never programmed before (I only know HTML & CSS).

So for 2 weeks I've been learning Java but I have found it quite hard. I get the jist of it but it does baffle me at times trying to do even the simplest of things.

public class Demo {

public static void main(String []args) {

int myFirstNumber = 1;
int mySecondNumber = 5;

if(myFirstNumber == mySecondNumber) {
System.out.println("The numbers match!");
}
else {
System.out.println("Unfortunately the numbers don't match");
}

}

}

The above Java code I can easily manage however that is about as far as it goes. So although the above is simple I don't understand anything more complex than that.

So I was wondering...

Should I stick with Java and just keep re-reading the same tutorial/s until I understand it or should I switch to ruby which at a quick first glance seems simple?

OR, should I change to ActionScript as I do have Adobe CS3 Flash, it's just I'm not good in any aspect of Flash from AS to drawing.

If it makes any difference, I want to be able to make online games with it.

P.S. Please don't say a game will take you ages to make and I'm setting my goals far too high. That's my goal and I want to complete it - I just don't know down which path to go.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 April 2009 - 11:51 PM

Java isn't tough. It's my first language and well I'm learning Ruby now and it's a breeze because the concepts are familiar, only the syntax is different.

What you have to learn is the logic behind it. I'd say stick with Java because it's so widely used and just find a good book (http://www.ebooknetworking.com/books/013/149/big0131492020.jpg) if you find the learning difficult.

I LOVE that book.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 April 2009 - 11:21 AM

Both Java and Ruby aren't known for their incredibly fast running speeds, however if you're looking into web design, RoR (Ruby on Rails) is the way to go.

Ruby is far easier to learn, and was one of my first languages. You can program GUI's fairly easy with the build in TK toolkit, or even download the wx plugin (I think?).

However, if you're looking to get accepted by game development companies, your best bet is with C++ or Java.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 April 2009 - 01:52 PM

Programming is more based on logic. Once you learn one language, it is fairly easy to move to another language simply by learning the syntax. There isn't a better language overall, but some things are more suited for certain development types. You wouldn't use PHP to create a game...

There are tons of games made with PHP :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:07 PM

If you want to write code to play on a Windows-based system, and send to your friends, etc... I would recommend Liberty BASIC

Many have forgotten about BASIC, but when I needed to write some quick and dirty code for some things at work I found Liberty BASIC and remembered why I enjoyed programming in BASIC many years ago. It's a great beginner language, and easy to do some pretty powerful things with.

On the other hand, if your goal is to be writing something for a website, such as an online game, then I would recommend Ruby on Rails. A great book to get you started might be the "Head First Rails", which does a good job keeping things simple, yet moves you through the basics fairly quickly.

With Ruby on Rails you can literally have a bare-naked project working in minutes. From that point on it's all about the tweaking of the project to get it looking and acting the way you want rather then the default settings.

The nice thing about Ruby on Rails, is that it is built from the ground up as a programming tool for the web, so it comes with tons of website commands and anything it doesn't have built in you can easily add.

Hope this helps
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2009 - 02:27 PM

View Posthendersonrl, on 22 Apr, 2009 - 04:07 PM, said:

If you want to write code to play on a Windows-based system, and send to your friends, etc... I would recommend Liberty BASIC

Many have forgotten about BASIC, but when I needed to write some quick and dirty code for some things at work I found Liberty BASIC and remembered why I enjoyed programming in BASIC many years ago. It's a great beginner language, and easy to do some pretty powerful things with.

Liberty BASIC is an alright language, but by no means the best beginner language... it can be fun creating programs (one of my first complete projects was written in LB), but it simply doesn't get into object-oriented programming as much as it should. OO programming is becoming an increasingly important part of application development, and LB simply doesn't cover it.

Ruby is definitely the best to start off with - it is a 100% object oriented language. It may be a bit slow, but once you get the basics down you can move on to faster languages such as C, or even Java.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 July 2009 - 04:52 AM

I think were in the same road but im already mastered in both vb & vb.net
I am turning now to php for my web......application
And in your part I dnt know... Java excess today but i dnt know on the next day.. Ruby is comming.... and knows if it will excess...
match better c++.... java and c++ have more similarities in terms of object...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 October 2009 - 05:45 AM

Personaly im a Ruby lover, have been evern since i got my hands on Rpg Maker XP..

I've learnt VB.net, that wasnt too hard, i then moved to C++. (whislt still with Ruby).

and you get to realise that after larning Ruby, C++ wasnt that hard to figure out. you get the basics of OOP.

So i say try and learn Ruby, its simple fast and very reliable (no im not trying to sell it to you :P) but what im trying to say, is that after you learnt the basics of Ruby, it allows you to easily move on to other languages such as C++ and java.
Was This Post Helpful? 1

• (2 Pages)
  • +