9 Replies - 929 Views - Last Post: 18 August 2008 - 04:48 PM

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

First jobs/Freelancing

Posted 16 August 2008 - 04:32 PM

Well, I got my first job today in freelance kind of work...

the project: Recreate Flexible Tasks and add a feedback section. it must be able to add/edit/delete users. must house projects and add/edit/delete them.

The payment: $60

I figure it's not bad, but i think I shortchanged myself >_<

anyway, what's the first jobs you guys had for web design, and how much were you paid? for anyone that does freelance work, how much do you normally get for each job? or what do you request an hour?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: First jobs/Freelancing

#2 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: First jobs/Freelancing

Posted 16 August 2008 - 06:17 PM

View PostJBrace1990, on 16 Aug, 2008 - 07:32 PM, said:

Well, I got my first job today in freelance kind of work...

Congrats!!

I figure it's not bad, but i think I shortchanged myself

You have to start somewhere. Sometimes a great experience page & references to completed work is worth more than the payout.

what's the first jobs you guys had for web design and how much were you paid?

I started out doing eBay templates & layouts. The 1st one was $9, the 2nd one was $12, & then finally my 1st "web" page layout was an entire $22!

for anyone that does freelance work, how much do you normally get for each job? or what do you request an hour?

The payment is always based on the job, & it's hardly ever "by hour" because either the customer changes their mind (& for that you should always have an upfront fee if the job is large enough. It'll avoid them from screwing you over), or I work on the project at my own leisure.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 August 2008 - 06:55 PM

(& for that you should always have an upfront fee if the job is large enough. It'll avoid them from screwing you over)

That's actually a really good idea... I need to remember that one...

Right now i'm getting paid basically the 60 for the app, and more for added features they want/will want... I might even end up with like a "part time job" there...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 August 2008 - 09:18 AM

what are you creating? If you are creating that blogging application then I really thing 60$ is not just shortchanging yourself but just plain insane!

Although I assume that you would be using a library for the GUI feel, it is still quite a project. My company would charge 1000s of dollars to do that.

if you ARE writing an application like this for 60$ please tell me you maintain the rights to the source code. If you do that is not too bad since you can pollish up the final result and sell it...

I have to be mistaken... you are only adding tasks to this application?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 August 2008 - 11:10 AM

nope, it's to recreate part of that, and basically make an admin panel... it's not too hard, only about 3 hours spent so far and it's almost done...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gabe's Nemesis
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 August 2008 - 11:25 AM

Where would be the best place to find work like that? Do you just snoop around forums and help out the lazy coders for money?! :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 August 2008 - 11:47 AM

nope, I went to http://getafreelancer.com/ =P
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Gabe's Nemesis
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 August 2008 - 02:18 PM

I would guess the clue is in the title...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Everybody's crazy but me!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 August 2008 - 08:27 AM

Thanks for the link JBrace.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm pretty good with a laser mouse..
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 August 2008 - 04:48 PM

I do quite a bit of freelance work. If you market yourself the right way you can make some good hunks of change. My first Website I ever created for a client I didn't get paid in cash. I got paid in ink. See, it was a tattoo shop[ and he offered to cover up all of the crap I had before + some more. I got about a $1700 sleeve out of it. Not bad if you ask me.

I would also very much agree with no2pencil. Every job is different. But once you've done a few you can kind of put together your own pricing sort of. You get the idea of what to charge, and what to charge fairly for which types of tasks. As for by the hour, I do charge by the hour, but not for actual jobs or projects. I usually have a section in the statement of work that explains it: That after the project is completed and final payment has been made, all other work besides normal error fixing or minor detail tuning, I will charge by a normal hourly rate. I usually give my clients a good deal and charge around $65/hour.

I find plenty of work doing projects locally. I don't deal with those findafreelancer or rentacoder websites. Too much hassle and way to under-priced. How I operate is usually by word of mouth, or I'll just go around, do my homework, find businesses that I think could benefit from having a Website or type of software program and simply ask them. I almost always make the initial contact and explain to them what I do for a living and that I do a lot of freelance work on the side, show them some of my work, explain how it works and I would say about 90% of the time I get business. And you have to think also that I live in Alaska and our population is way lower than mostly everywhere else so if I can do it, you should be able to no problem.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1