Text Based Game In Java

Can Someone Tell Me Some Basic Coding For It?

Page 1 of 1

4 Replies - 18290 Views - Last Post: 17 August 2008 - 08:07 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Text Based Game In Java

Posted 17 August 2008 - 08:25 AM

Title and description says it all, I need a tutorial on how to do it. Please help and thank you.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Text Based Game In Java

• There is nothing you can't do with a JTable
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Text Based Game In Java

Posted 17 August 2008 - 08:36 AM

View Postgdog163, on 17 Aug, 2008 - 08:25 AM, said:

Title and description says it all, I need a tutorial on how to do it. Please help and thank you.

You didn't browse a lot in the forum... there is a tutorial about Java game programming just on your right hand side

http://www.dreaminco...wtopic14072.htm
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Expert Schmexpert...
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 August 2008 - 08:46 AM

It pretty much depends on what kind of game you're about to make. Check out the Game programming thread in the forum or perhaps you can find something useful among the tutorials on this site.

My personal two cents for making a game or any sort of bigger project is PLAN CAREFULLY. Start off by brainstorming and write down all ideas and I really mean all ideas. It's very much easier to just discard ideas than to rewrite alot of code to adapt to new ideas later on. Then decide what concepts need to be classes and make alot of classes. If you don't keep things separated you'll just have a total mess after a while.

Anyways, what kind of game are you creating?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 August 2008 - 03:00 PM

Exactly what sort of text-based game are we talking about? Tic-tac-toe with console interface? Or something more complicated like a text-based adventure game? Or something more ambitious like a MUD? Or a Play-By E-Mail game? If the latter I've got this nice open source project I'm working on that does most of the complicated stuff (POP3, SMTP, parsing) for you by providing simpler abstractions - though some knowledge of Hibernate is needed if you're going to use databases with it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 August 2008 - 08:07 PM

like other people have said, you should definitely plan A LOT before starting to program. Diving in headfirst usually gets you nowhere. Before you start, ideally you should have designed most of your framework, and have class-diagrams and control-flow diagrams.

Once all the framework is set-up, then you can start coding the actual game (adding the storyline, etc.)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1