9 Replies - 1294 Views - Last Post: 10 December 2002 - 11:49 AM

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

10 Final Projects: Reviewed

Posted 06 December 2002 - 12:21 AM

Final Project Site Review – CIS 166

Just a quick note about how I wrote these. I’ve been doing professional site reviews for several years now, I don’t hold back when it comes to reviewing a website because not being honest serves no purpose when it comes to critiquing. Don’t take anything said personally, I have high standards and understand that first attempts aren’t always the best.

Feel free to share these reviews with the other students, if anyone has any questions, I can be reached at c.kenworthy@dream-studios.com

For more information and resources for web development, please take a moment to visit http://www.dreamincode.net a free resource for students, web developers, and programmers looking for help and feedback.

http://www.members.aol.com/missqueenbe

First thing I noticed on this site was the extremely long load time on my 56K modem. I think most of it was the slide show. I understand the fulfilling of requirements which appear to all be completed. Here is my feedback on how to improve and adapt this site to make it look even better.

The tiled background detracts from the content, change the background to a solid, light color such as white, light grey (#eeeeee) The use of frames is tacky in this case because the navigation is a simple text based table of contents. Try using just tables to layout your content. Learning a little about PHP or how to use Templates in Dreamweaver or Frontpage will benefit you tremendously. It will also allow search engines to spider this site properly. The blinking New is annoying. Content should be kept up to date, so the use of the “New” tag line is very cliché and unneeded. The top box on the homepage with the teal has to much ‘teal’ space. The inverted police car looks like it was just put there to look ‘cool’ (when in fact it is probably just there to fulfill requirements) The upside down L shape is good, but because it’s not lined up it looks like a broken L.

One thing to focus on when creating any website is where you want the user to look first, in this case I don’t know exactly where to look, first I look at the Welcome which doesn’t give me any clue as to what this site is about, second I look at the blinking New! Which… again… doesn’t give me any clue as to what the site is about. Try to draw the users attention to a tagline, logo, or short 1 line description about the goal/mission/product which the site is selling/promoting. Remember, humans read from left to right, top to bottom… but because bright, or elements with nothing around them draw attention, the eye can be drawn to other places first.

The glow effect, text rollover (CAPS), and the blinking text are all great uses for CSS, but shouldn’t be used in mainstream design. There are several tools at a web developers disposal, knowing how to use all of them is key to successful design, however using all of them accomplishes very little.

Overall, I give this site a 9 for completing requirements and a 5.2 for overall design

http://w3.tvi.cc.nm.us/~lazar/

The first thing I noticed about this site was the mixing of styles and lack of layout. The use of multiple fonts and colors looks bad. Pick 1 font for everything and the only good time to deviate from it is in a logo. Verdana has been found to be the most effective font on the web, while Times New Roman is the most effective in print.

The tiled background draws the eye away from the content, in the case of this site there is very little content to begin with. Content is KING on the internet, without it. People won’t visit a site. Try to fill the entire site with content or some type of layout, think of a tiled background as a way to fill a site with something appealing when there is nothing really appealing at the site. For this particular site, pastels would be great, purples, yellows, reds, and whites. It’s a kids site so the brighter the better.

On the homepage, try to give more information about what this site is for, put a picture of a child reading a book, then around it give a description of what exactly what Childs Play Bookstore is. Try to put at least 1 page length on every page with at least 80% of the page being text and/or pictures, white space is a bad thing on the web.

The use of frames in this case is also not a great idea for a few reasons, first being how small the navigation is. Make the navigation horizontal across the top of every page, there are few enough links you can do that. Second, search engines will not spider frames pages. And third, even on my 19” monitor at a very tiny (big screen) resolution, there is still a scrollbar on the left frame.

Requirements seem to be somewhat fulfilled, I may have missed the transition between pages, and I didn’t see a mouseover effect. So my final ratings are: 6 for completing requirements and 4.3 for overall design.

http://w3.tvi.cc.nm....nneec/index.htm

This site had the transitions, rollovers, image transitions, I did not see the dynamic content loaded from a text file. I’ll give this an 8 for fulfilling requirements and a 5 for overall design. Again, the tiled backgrounds are not a favorite of mine. The use of centered text, horizontal bars, and the scrolling marquee are poorly executed.

http://w3.tvi.cc.nm.us/~hockyldy/

This is a great looking layout in terms of balance and contrast. Aside from the occasional tiled background and the use of a light yellow on a already light background. The site looks really good. I see the majority of the requirements completed. The falling snow flakes REALLY slowed down my Pentium 4 1.3Ghz machine, as cool as they are, they are very resource intensive. Overall, I give the design a 7 and the requirements a 9

http://w3.tvi.cc.nm.us/~rebaugh

Eeek, first impression of this site is there is WAY to much color, WAY to much clutter, and no real focus. Choose 3 colors, one very light, one dark, and one to accent the 2. Stick with them. Having 2 links in a frame is a waste of space and HTML. Put it in a table. If possible, eliminate the frames all together, especially with half and half split, my eye has no clue where to look first.

I count over 11 different colors used. This is a very bad thing. But, it doesn’t have a tiled background so it actually looks better than some that do. Overall design: 4.1 Requirements: 8

http://members.aol.c...ckets/index.htm
First thing, the graphics on this page took way to long to load, check the load time on a 56K modem. Try a program like Photoshop to optimize these images. If it takes more than 12 seconds, the majority of users will leave. Lose the tiled background, instead of using a background to fill up space, put a picture of a team, field, news, roster, CONTENT is KING.

I didn’t see a transition used. Rollovers on the top nav are fine except that you can’t read the text on the normal soccer balls. Why is there space in between them?! The layout of text is good, but there needs to be a better ‘line’ or solid box type style to put content in rather than scattering it around.

Overall Design: 4.5 Requirements: 5

http://www.lislecc.com

First thing, I like the upside down L shape for this site, the grey is a little bland, but there is enough color to make it ‘spicy’ The navigation is easy to use and understand and the use of CSS on the pictures is a really good idea. I did not see a page transition on any of the pages. However, on the top of each page, the growing picture is there, I would not however suggest using it in the final design of this site.

The domain name (lislecc.com) makes the site look much more professional than the long addresses used in the other sites. Not a must have, but it makes it stand out.

The layout of the text on each page is very well done, organized and easy to follow

Overall Design: 6.8 Requirements: 7

http://w3.tvi.cc.nm.us/~smoore/CIS166
This is a cool concept, I like the layout with the 3 frames. The one thing that bugs me is the ‘clicking anywhere’ ability. I tend to click around randomly on a site just out of habit and every time I do, this site changes pages. The tiled background make it look unprofessional, put a dark color on the top and bottom frame and a lighter color on the middle frame. Switch the fonts to Verdana.

The colors work well together, the navigation is easy. I see the transitions used, the rollovers for font size, and the image growing thingy.

Overall Design: 7 Requirements: 9

http://w3.tvi.cc.nm....kelly1/main.htm
First thing, as usual… tiled background. You can’t read ANYTHING with that background. The purple text is a horrible color to use on the background because it doesn’t contrast. Lose the background, lose the frames. Stick with the navigation on the left, but use a table to format.

The sliding red text is unreadable because of the speed, wrapping, color, etc.

There is a javascript error on the page which loves to pop up each time a page loads. It’s a simple fix, just take out the IE4 definition and it’ll go away.

Having the order form come up in a new window is a bad idea, load it in the frame… or after eliminating the frames, just load it in the same window.

Eeek, all the pages open in a new window… what’s the point of having frames then?

Overall Design: 5 Requirements: 7

http://w3.tvi.cc.nm.us/~mxpx23

Pages could not be displayed due to permissions not being properly set on the server. Could not review.

Overall Design: ?? Requirements: ??

http://w3.tvi.cc.nm....B...ndy_DDS.htm

First thing, tiled background. There is absolutely 0 content on the homepage and having a background makes it look even worse. At least 80% of the page should be filled with text, pictures, or something the user can actually get information from.

Page transitions are used. The Blue on Blue on Blue theme is bland and difficult to read. Spice it up with some formatting, color (no more than 3 colors) and more content.

The big thing with this site is the content, there is very little… not even enough on all of the pages to even fill up 1 good page. All requirements seem to be fulfilled.

Overall Design: 3.0 Requirements: 9

[URL=http://w3.tvi.cc.nm.us/~wakitsch/cis166
After waiting over 5 minutes for the MP3 to load, I left before the site even loaded. Music is a horrible idea on a website. I personally have music playing 24/7 from a constantly rotating list of MP3s, if I wanted to hear the music on a website, I’d ask.

Sorry.

Overall Design: ?? Requirements: ??

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: 10 Final Projects: Reviewed

• 42. That's my final answer.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: 10 Final Projects: Reviewed

Posted 06 December 2002 - 09:04 AM

chris, quit picking on your fellow students and make me a sammich. <_<
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• risky operation, but worth it.

• View blog

Posted 06 December 2002 - 09:34 AM

chris.. you aren't a "professional" reviewer. quit frontin'.. i'll whip your ass.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• nooneenooneenooonee
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 December 2002 - 09:36 AM

Hey chris where is your final project? Are we to expect transistion, untiled backgrounds, blinking text?

One good thing about all of those was than none had blinking text!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Go Leafs

• View blog

Posted 06 December 2002 - 09:32 PM

dude

taht site u didnt review because of the mp3 is really great
full of content and shit

get a faster connection, then review it
if it wasnt meant for your slowass connection speed, then your review is void
which i'd have to say it is, because with my cable it loaded in under 15 seconds
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• andydust.com

• View blog

Posted 07 December 2002 - 05:36 AM

if it wasnt meant for dialup modems then it should state that, and (unless they dont want business) offer a dialup alternative.

as far as im concerned a website that isnt suitable for dialup modems, or does not offer a dialup alternative, is a bad website.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• <title>Untitled Document</title>

• View blog

Posted 09 December 2002 - 10:44 PM

If Chris had his way, the entire internet would be in Verdana. :lol:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 10 December 2002 - 06:31 AM

Ben Goulbourn, on Dec 6 2002, 11:32 PM, said:

dude

taht site u didnt review because of the mp3 is really great
full of content and shit

get a faster connection, then review it
if it wasnt meant for your slowass connection speed, then your review is void
which i'd have to say it is, because with my cable it loaded in under 15 seconds

Dude not everyone can get a faster connection at this point in time! I personally live just outside the city limits and you cannot get anything! You cannot even get cable T.V.!

So I agree they should at least warn you that a Broadband Internet connection is recommended.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• 42. That's my final answer.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 December 2002 - 11:04 AM

Ben Goulbourn, on Dec 6 2002, 10:32 PM, said:

it loaded in under 15 seconds

i believe the benchmark load time for a page is 7 seconds. if no content is displayed by that time, the site is a failure.

and aren't the majority of internet users still on dialup?

also, verdana rocks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 10 December 2002 - 11:49 AM

whoever says music should not be on a site ever = douche

tho, music should be used properly
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +