• (2 Pages)
  • +

15 Replies - 801 Views - Last Post: 25 August 2008 - 05:15 PM

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

The state of SiFi (channel)

Posted 21 August 2008 - 08:54 PM

So we live in an age of great CGI and digital enhancement. There is an air of scientific advancement it the green movement inspiring armature scientists and inventors, the new sustained mission to the moon is energizing the corporate space race, the human genome has been mapped, genetic engineering and cloning are becoming common place...

And yet the SiFi channel has adopted pro-wrestlings and things that "Ghost Hunters" is quality prime-time entertainment. It was announced today that Stargate Atlantis will be canceled after this season. The bulk of the shows on the channel are canceled sifi shows that are not in production any more.

In general you would think that Hollywood in general could do more with SiFi -- I know that the Academy does not give Oscars to SiFi movies, and a large portion of the public considers SiFi too geeky. But come on, there are some geeks in Hollywood, there are a number of excellent SiFi stories that are untouched -- Why can't we get some decent SiFi?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: The state of SiFi (channel)

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: The state of SiFi (channel)

Posted 21 August 2008 - 08:57 PM

Because real geeks & nerds read books.

The SiFi channel is for posers. :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 August 2008 - 09:01 PM

We can't get good SciFi anymore because of the numerous budget cutbacks they are having. Just look at some of the ad ploys they ahve attempted to do (like Saturday night "scary" moies that have terrible graphics and aren't worth watching). I don't know why but it looks liek SciFi is on the way down.

IMHO they should have spent more time creating fewer high quality movies than they did. If they were to come out with more things like Dune then I think people would be more interested in watching what they had to offer.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Barbarbar
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 August 2008 - 09:06 PM

They cancelled Atlantis?!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• class Me : Perfection
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 August 2008 - 09:10 PM

...Stargate Atlantis will be canceled after this season...
Seriously??? Damn, i loved that show. I loved Stargate in general.

I watched a bit of Ghost Hunters, and i can officially say it sucks in my mind. It's nothing but a bunch of freaks that have nothing better to do than go into dark places, film images of empty rooms, and talk to dead people who aren't there. Scare Tactics is good though, i like those type of shows. To tell you the truth, i don't really watch much of SciFi, so i can't really offer an accurate opinion.

This post has been edited by jacobjordan: 21 August 2008 - 09:12 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 August 2008 - 09:15 PM

@girasquid -- Joseph Mallozzi's Blog

@BetaWar -- I kind of agree, Dune was excellent. On the other hand the argument, "Well if only you had spent more money!" seems a little counter intuitive. I agree that the SiFi channel/MGM is dying.

@No2Pencil -- Maybe... I don't have a lot of time to read fiction. I wish I did. I don't even know the current state of SiFi in literature -- but I have the feeling that it is also on the decline.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 August 2008 - 10:03 PM

I liked ghost hunters back when it first started because they actually attempt an honest ghost hunt (and they even show how some people try to fake hauntings), the rest of the shows like that are so obviously fake and stupid it's fun to sit there and make fun of it (on the weekends we're all in the house and it's on for background noise).

However now ghost hunters is sort of boring because it's the same thing every time, they run around dark places, try talking to ghosts, and catch some funny sounds on tape and tell people it's haunted.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 August 2008 - 08:25 AM

I love science fiction, but Battlestar Galactica is the only reason I watch the Sci-Fi channel.

Seriously, wtf is up with "Professional Wrestling" on the Sci-Fi channel?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 August 2008 - 08:28 AM

frakkin' coffee!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 August 2008 - 09:02 AM

Hollywood doesn't like scifi. When the big studios see a real scifi script, they usually turn it into an action movie. Strangely, there are more science fantasies than ever before with the cash the cow of super hero genre. Even the stinkers make cash. On the other hand, Hollywood would be surprised that people don't consider crap like the Transformers scifi.

In a sense, Wall-E was probably the best scifi movie this year, containing all the elements and some excellent social commentary. Looking back, it may have been the only one this year.

The last real good scifi movie I've seen was probably "Children of Men", a good dystopian yarn, a bit of a Soylent Green vibe, a little dry satire. It didn't have a Hollywood feel and I don't know if it got a full release. Prior to that, I'm drawing a blank.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 August 2008 - 09:54 AM

BSG is and has been the only thing worth watching on the channel for a long time. It's a waste, it could be very easy for them to mix popular scifi like terminator and the matrix and star wars in and show some harder stuff (like that masters of scifi show that was on abc for a couple of episodes last year) to make everyone happy. shit, they could even pick up reruns of lost and heroes.

You guys see Sunshine last year? great flick, that's the kind of stuff the channel should be going after, not alligators with wings attack 7.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 August 2008 - 09:59 AM

View Postsupersloth, on 22 Aug, 2008 - 11:54 AM, said:

You guys see Sunshine last year? great flick, that's the kind of stuff the channel should be going after, not alligators with wings attack 7.

Yeah I saw Sunshine. I enjoyed it, because I'm generally easy to please when it comes to movies... sci-fi especially. But I think it had waaay too many similarities to Event Horizon.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• i am colt mccoy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 August 2008 - 01:55 AM

They just aren't aiming their sights right in my opinion.

Alex and Kevin on diggnation did an episode a few months ago, where they had the open letter to sci-fi on it....

Why not do more things like dune, ender's game, classic sci-fi stuff out there that they could hit but don't. More in the can of Eureka, Battlestar etc.... not Flash Gordon.

Then commented on shows that were on the big networks, LOST, Heroes, that should be on Sci-Fi... or pitched to them and auto-picked up, not wrestling.

This post has been edited by capty99: 23 August 2008 - 01:55 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 August 2008 - 02:09 PM

SciFi is seriously losing it's touch... canceling Sg1 was a VERY bad step, but now canceling Atlantis? There's nothing left after that... I remember like 2 years ago, I would die to get to Friday, just so I could watch my 2 favorite shows... and now they're killing them?

SciFi is just a piece of crap now, and they're going down the drain. You'd think something as popular as that would come up with better ideas..

Stargate Command on Myspace left this up last night at around 2:30 AM

Stargate Commane said:

NBC SCIFI Channel Mark Stern has killed STARGATE ATLANTIS

Grr!
There it goes. Once again by Mark Stern NBC Sci FI channel, the same person who played a part in being responsible for instigating the writers strike fiasco that ruined everything on you last year, cancels & kills nearly all of your favorite shows, SG-1, Farscape, BSG, Dresden, etc, and the person who shovels all those poor quality junk sci fi channel movies like Frankenfish and reality gameshows like who cares who wants to be a superhero at you instead of the good quality programming you liked.

Well, if you didn't write letters to the addresses on our site, then now maybe you'll get the idea that this person Mark Stern needs to be removed. If you didn't realize that Mark Stern at Sci Fi channel has been turning the entire genre of Sci Fi into garbage and sequentially killing or tainting all your shows, then perhaps this will finally awaken you. And you'll take a stand against this 1 man wrecking ball of incompetence over there. And to those who've written, time to write again. And to those who wrote 10 letters, time to do 20. And 100 make it 200. :-) Whatever was done before, time to double it. There's no giving up in Stargate.

Donnie died in June.
(
You knew him as George. General Hammond of Texas.

He was a great guy, those of you who met Donnie perhaps at one of the conventions know that he was a fan favorite. Unlike the character he played, Donnie was the life of the party. Laughing. Joking. He really truly loved all of you.

Mark Stern cancelled Stargate SG-1 in august of 2006. Now Donnie, General Hammond, has died, and will never get to see or be in Stargate SG-1 again, even if (when!) it returns. Since Stern failed to respond to your wishes and the wishes of all the people of the world, the chance for Donnie to be in it is now passed. Science Fiction is what allows all of us to escape reality and let our imagination fly free to explore all that can be. Sadly unlike science fiction, where Dr. Beckett can return, this chance is gone. Donnie sadly won't be coming back.
:(

Universe has a go. But it won't be the same.

It's very horrible what they're doing, an I'm definitely going to write an email to them.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 August 2008 - 03:31 PM

I have been looking over the, granted bias, reaction of fans to the cancellation of Atlantis along with the other changes made at Sci Fi channel in the last few years and I have come to the conclusion that the executives in charge do not like Sci Fi, they do not like the fans, they do not actually like making money by offering a product that people like.

I am convinced by the evidence that the executives just don't like their viewers. They want new views. Well of course they want new viewers, but do they really want to alienate their current viewers.

I can make excuses for them canceling SG1. It had run for 10 years! The writing was beginning to strain. Atlantis was there and established and SG1 was probably hurting the numbers for Atlantis... So while I was disappointed I could see the sense in the thing.

Ok... a mere two years later. Atlantis has just won the people choice award over the favored Battlestar Galactica, it was uninjured by the writers strike, and ratings are at their highest (granted there is little competition at the moment). A new Startgate franchise is on its way, the SG1 movies are doing alright... things are looking pretty good for next season.

I have an idea, lets cancel the people's choice winner, up the promos of pro-wrestling and flood the channel with really bad movies.

While I may be able to see the logic in again not having two competing shows (Atlantis and the new one) -- you don't even know what the fans will think of the new one, and based upon the fact that you canceled the people's favorite Sci Fi show and pissed them off, there is a good chance people will not even be interested in finding out IF they like the new one.

Now I am quite sure that the executives have numbers to back up their decision. Focus groups were polled, studies were made, consultants got paid... I am sure there are financial concerns on how much they are allocating into what etc. etc. etc...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +