• Last »

45 Replies - 2062 Views - Last Post: 10 September 2008 - 07:40 AM

#1 Martyr2  Icon User is online

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Joe Biden and Obama?

Posted 23 August 2008 - 10:45 AM

I must say I am a bit disappointed by the choice and when I sit and lament about who would have been a good choice, I am not sure. I kinda liked Hillary but I can see why he wouldn't have chosen her. But as an advocate of "change" that Obama has put forth, isn't going with an "old white guy" doing the same o' same o'?

Not to mention he really has criticized Obama on his lack of experience and now wants to jump on his ticket? I don't get it.

Your thoughts? Are you happy/indifferent/disgusted with the choice?

Lets keep it clean and with good reasons. Please do not attack anyone. Thanks. :)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Joe Biden and Obama?

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Joe Biden and Obama?

Posted 23 August 2008 - 11:00 AM

Not one I'm thrilled by, but I understand the logic. There's a certain balance to the choice. Common attacks against Obama include the issue of expirence. Biden is an old, old school smoke filled room kind of politician.

I don't really agree with some of Biden's politics, but nothing I see is a serious deal breaker. Another reason for the choice may be his relative senatorial poverty, he's the 99th poorest Senator. This may bespeak a lack of corporate ties. Obama seems to have avoided debt to any large corp interest, so this quality may appeal to him.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 Martyr2  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 August 2008 - 11:07 AM

Wow, I hadn't realized that he was that poor of a senator. His lack of corporate ties might be a good thing here. Good call.

Anyone concerned for health considerations here? I guess Biden has had brain surgery twice in 1988 for aneurysms.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 August 2008 - 03:41 PM

I don't care for Obama's policies and mannerisms, however, based on my reading of biden, he probably made a good choice by picking someone that has more experience, especially in the area of foreign policy.

He didn't pick Hilliary because she would have had him killed off so she could be president.

I don't think he raised or lowered the ticket. Just kind of a ho-hum pick. Which maybe is what he was shooting for given that McCain hasn't announced his pick yet.

Sidenote: i am thoroughly amused that all the gullible people who gave Obama their phone # so he could text them his pick got shafted because of a leak. Just another example of Obama lying just like every other politician. At least i want an experienced lying politician.

Wow, I hadn't realized that he was that poor of a senator. His lack of corporate ties might be a good thing here. Good call.

Anyone concerned for health considerations here? I guess Biden has had brain surgery twice in 1988 for aneurysms.

I disagree. Business makes the world go 'round. Anywhere else in the world it is called a bribe. In Washington it is called lobbying. It is how the American government works and has been working for the last 200+ years.

edited to insert quotation

This post has been edited by KYA: 23 August 2008 - 03:43 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 August 2008 - 06:58 PM

View PostKYA, on 23 Aug, 2008 - 06:41 PM, said:

I disagree. Business makes the world go 'round. Anywhere else in the world it is called a bribe. In Washington it is called lobbying. It is how the American government works and has been working for the last 200+ years.

I doesn't have to work that way. Elected officials are supposed to represent their electorate. Period. A special interest in not required for the process to work. They have a right to be heard and if they represent the majority of a politician's constituents then it reasonable the politician will support their cause.

Politics, by it's nature, is a morally grey endeavor. Getting what is needed done will often call for doing something distasteful. However, condoning being bought off and the resulting bias is unacceptable, particularly for the post that's supposed to represent everyone. Our current administration shows it's bias so audaciously it's embarrassing. I really wouldn't mind if the next lot toned it down a little.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 August 2008 - 07:46 PM

My thought is the following:

it happens, we all know it happens, yet people act all outraged when they hear about lobbyists and special interest groups...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 Martyr2  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 August 2008 - 09:08 PM

I knew he needed a pitbull VP if he was going to get anything done in washington with the old crowd... I thought that pitbull would have been hillary but after seeing biden in his acceptance speech, I see he will fit the bill just fine. Obama's "dreams and wishes" type of attitude will only get him so far but he needed someone to push politicians around to get things done on the overall agenda.

Either way I don't care as long as McCain doesn't win. I hate the guy and no matter how much he says he is different than bush, I have been paying special attention to McCain over the years and he does exactly what Bush wants and likes to do.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 August 2008 - 09:13 PM

Either way I do not see Obama winning this election.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 August 2008 - 09:16 PM

View PostNykc, on 23 Aug, 2008 - 09:13 PM, said:

Either way I do not see Obama winning this election.

likewise
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 August 2008 - 11:35 PM

View PostMartyr2, on 23 Aug, 2008 - 10:08 PM, said:

Either way I don't care as long as McCain doesn't win. I hate the guy and no matter how much he says he is different than bush, I have been paying special attention to McCain over the years and he does exactly what Bush wants and likes to do.

Except for Bush was a complete retard, this McCain guy really scares me.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 August 2008 - 08:30 AM

Damn your bait. ;) I'm really curious, how does he scare you?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 August 2008 - 11:17 AM

View PostKYA, on 24 Aug, 2008 - 11:30 AM, said:

I'm really curious, how does he scare you?

A war monger with a short temper and a history of indecisiveness, what could possibly go wrong. ;) This guy seriously doesn't look like he could pass the psyche test for any branch of the military, yet his military record is a believed selling point. I'm not military but I have a number of friends who are; surprisingly he scares them too. Here's a recent example.

No need to debate it, you either feel that way or you don't. Google McCain and temper, war, military, flip flop, etc. You needn't believe the bias critics, just watch the videos of him in his own words.

I accept that politician will lie, cheat, be womanizers ( manizers?), assholes, etc, no problem. However, in something as simple as an interview, I expect them to be able to keep their cool and lie well. If they can't accomplish that, how can they be expected to deal with high stress adversarial situation?

So, yeah, this guy scares me, a lot. Oh, and he's also a cylon. ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 August 2008 - 12:48 PM

(I am not advocating on candidate over the other, here is a keen observation I have had)

We all know what McCain will do. Even so far to the point that some of you have called him McSame. He will be consistent in his mannerisms.

We can't say the same for Obama. I don't think America knows enough about him--at all. The citizens have allowed a man who hasn't finished a single senate term to be a major party contender for president. If that isn't scary, I don't know what is.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 August 2008 - 06:23 PM

That what baavgai said and the fact he want's us all to have some serious firepower:

From his website:

Assault Weapons

John McCain opposes restrictions on so-called "assault rifles" and voted consistently against such bans. Most recently he opposed an amendment to extend a ban on 19 specific firearms, and others with similar characteristics.

Importation of High Capacity Magazines

John McCain opposes bans on the importation of certain types of ammunition magazines and has voted against such limitations.

Now I believe in those who have pistols and things to protect themselves in dangerous areas, but this is going overboard!

View PostKYA, on 24 Aug, 2008 - 01:48 PM, said:

We can't say the same for Obama. I don't think America knows enough about him--at all. The citizens have allowed a man who hasn't finished a single senate term to be a major party contender for president. If that isn't scary, I don't know what is.

I'd rather have anyone but the insane McCain. Plus I've heard Obama is a very strong supporter of Net Neutrality (the whole keeping the internet an equal ground for anyone thing), where McCain doesn't even know how to use a computer.

This post has been edited by WolfCoder: 24 August 2008 - 06:28 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 August 2008 - 07:16 PM

You would rather have someone you know virtually nothing about over someone you do know about?

It's not mutually exclusive. One should know about candidates before they elevate them to the status of leader of the free world...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »