3 Replies - 1514 Views - Last Post: 12 December 2002 - 12:49 PM

• i am colt mccoy
  • member icon

• View blog

streaming

Posted 11 December 2002 - 09:08 PM

ive got a 30 meg mpg i want to stream for a band ...

how.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: streaming

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: streaming

Posted 12 December 2002 - 07:05 AM

MPEGs stream, if you have a big enough pipe.

but anyways, do you have a video editor? maybe something like premiere? cause the first thing you are probably going to want to try to do it, reduce the screen size (resolution) of the video, try 240x180 or 320x240, that will decrease file size quickly.

another thing you can try is dropping the frame rate, tv is at 30 fps, movies in the theather are 24, so if you dropp it down to like 15 that will help alot.

try exporting out as a quicktime movie and see if the file size is smaller. there is a windows media player (wmv) file converter you can find around. REAL just came out with a plugin for premiere you could use to compress it like crazy

and there are programs out there like media cleaner that do super good compression on videos, depending how fair you wanna go with it, check out that option
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• andydust.com

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2002 - 09:27 AM

good pointers from cfa, but doesnt file streaming require a special type of webserver? im pritty sure it does for real player.

i think quicktime is a bit more flexible with file compression and loading/streaming methods, so i'd also suggest you have a play around with something like premiere.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2002 - 12:49 PM

digitpulse, on Dec 12 2002, 10:27 AM, said:

good pointers from cfa, but doesnt file streaming require a special type of webserver? im pritty sure it does for real player.

thanks...

about 2 years ago when i was working with real video, we were working with having it stream on their special server. the only thing that i really noticed it did was allowed a single rm file to display vary-ing qualities depending on the bandwidth the client had.

for example, dialup users would basically get slide shows with voice overs, LAN users would get full video motion and full sound..all by connecting to one single file. each user waiting the same as the other to view the file. that's true video streaming.

since then though file formats have gotten much more efficient and "smarter" cause jut about everything streams now, swf's play while they are still downloading, mpg's do, mp3's can.

back in the day when REAL was the only streaming video codec, it was sweet to use their server, but today it's not that big of a deal. if you really care for dialup users when you are producing video on the web, it's just as easy to export a 180x240 12fps mov just for them....then for the rest of the world something better quality.

once you get DLs at about 200 kb/s it's all about the same anyways, web servers themselves have troubles pushing that much bandwidth to every user at once
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1