AMD falls to pieces

allmost literally....

Page 1 of 1

11 Replies - 1178 Views - Last Post: 17 December 2002 - 11:25 PM

• Go Leafs

• View blog

AMD falls to pieces

Posted 15 December 2002 - 10:52 PM

DOZENS OF UK SYSTEM INTEGRATORS and major distributors have received a mass mailing from Intel alleging problems with warranties on AMD CPUs and motherboards, thermal failures, and problems with Via chipsets and operating systems.
The mail, headlined "Text to print/send anyone wanting to buy Athlon systems", claims that one UK system integrator, which supplied P4 and Athlons with identical warranties for the last few years has reduced his warranty on AMD systems to one year.

It claims that there's more technical support problems and failure rates with AMD systems compared to Intel systems, and specifies what it thinks these are.

It lists lower heat production and better thermal engineering for Intel chips, better quality fans and heatsinks, and processors which shut down "rather than go into thermal meltdown".

The Intel email also claims there are more OS and peripheral failures with Via chipsets rather than Intel chipsets, and that fans on Via boards cause "failure and noise".

One system integrator we spoke to who received the mail said that while Intel boards were well engineered, they were fragile and the BIOSes leave something to be desired.

He said it simply wasn't true that Intel boards were better engineered than third party boards, and suggested Tyan and Asustek boards are of far higher engineering quality.

Nor, he said, were the fans supplied with boards using Via chipsets of poor quality. He said that the same manufacturers tended to make fans and heatsinks for most of the manufacturers.

While there might have been problems with AMD CPUs and heat in the past, all Thoroughbred CPUs now include thermal detectors which mean "meltdown" is impossible.

Intel, Via and AMD were unavailable for comment at press time.

http://www.theinquir...t/?article=6738

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: AMD falls to pieces

• nooneenooneenooonee
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: AMD falls to pieces

Posted 15 December 2002 - 11:39 PM

Sounds like a good lawsuit for AMD. Isn't that defamation of character?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Post icon  Posted 16 December 2002 - 04:44 AM

Well it seems a problem! I've got an AMD Athlon XP +2100 and I don't have any kind of problems.

We all know that AMD pushes on Architecture and Intel on frequency.

Anyways you also need a good motherboard, I've got one of the lastest ASUS, with AGP 8X, DDR400, Serial ATA, Gigabit LAN, 6 USB 2.0, SPDIF for digital audio and IEEE 1394 (Firewire). This board has also all kind of thermal protection. Anyways what I want to say is, hey build your own system the way you like it. Don't act like if you're going in the super-market!

you want a PC? Ok build it up! Here where I live, you spend like 300$ less if you do it by your self!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Go Leafs

• View blog

Posted 16 December 2002 - 03:12 PM

Cookie Mobster, on Dec 16 2002, 02:39 AM, said:

Sounds like a good lawsuit for AMD. Isn't that defamation of character?

not really, because some of that is actuially true

may be hard to believe, but it is :\
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 December 2002 - 03:26 PM

He's right, most of it is true and I would have thought that at least everyone here would know that :D... Yet, when it comes down to price amd still beats intel hands down, granted the products are not as throughly tested and well designed, but they do an excellent job if your not a complete moron in setting it up...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 December 2002 - 02:45 AM

The article also says that the problem about overheating is solved now! It also says that ASUSTek motherboards are better than Intel's. Everyone knows that ASUS is the leader in MB development!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 December 2002 - 02:46 AM

:blink: Hey ben what is that plant that you've got in your avatar?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Go Leafs

• View blog

Posted 17 December 2002 - 02:15 PM

dms, on Dec 17 2002, 05:46 AM, said:

:blink: Hey ben what is that plant that you've got in your avatar?

Hemp
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 17 December 2002 - 03:44 PM

im movin to canada.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Go Leafs

• View blog

Posted 17 December 2002 - 07:45 PM

Noffke, on Dec 17 2002, 06:44 PM, said:

im movin to canada.

Good

but first you have to remember, buy some warm clothes :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• nooneenooneenooonee
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 December 2002 - 08:00 PM

kyouto, on Dec 16 2002, 03:26 PM, said:

granted the products are not as throughly tested and well designed

Lol, we all have our opinions on which processor is better, but none of us have the knowledge or experience to claim that either company has a better architecture. And I don't think that any processor line comes out of either plant without sufficient testing, remember they have to be tested by third party institutions such as the fcc and ul as well.

Like I stated earlier this sounds like a defamation of character issue to me, Intel shouldn't be sending out warnings against their competition without direct proof of a malfunction. Saying that they are of poor quality is IMO unethical.

Personally I have no preference over the two, I have used AMD processors as well as Intel though quite a few product lines and I will continue to do so, they both make good processors and making arguments on unfounded facts and skewed perspectives is just irresponsible for a company as large as Intel.

Cheers Sam
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 17 December 2002 - 11:25 PM

I agree with sam....Intel should not be "warning" comsumers about there compeditors....one major problem with companies doing this is yes they will tell you the short coming of the other brand...but say nothing about their own products short comings.

I have personally used many different processers, and for the most part I dont see much difference in them. I personally perfer AMD over Intel, but that is not because Intel is not a great processer. It is just a personal thing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1