New Orleans ordered to "Bug Out"

"Storm of the century" declares mayor

• (2 Pages)
  • +

22 Replies - 793 Views - Last Post: 02 September 2008 - 07:44 AM

#1 Guest_Whizzy*

New Orleans ordered to "Bug Out"

Posted 31 August 2008 - 02:01 PM

New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin ordered the city's more than 239,000 residents to evacuate on Sunday in the face of powerful Hurricane Gustav, which he called "the mother of all storms.", Nagin said of Gustav, a monstrous Category 4 storm that could approach the central Louisiana coast just west of New Orleans on Monday. "You need to be concerned and you need to get your butts moving and out of New Orleans right now," Nagin said at City Hall. "This is the storm of the century."

I wonder how many will not pay heed to this warning this time. A few years back when Katrina hit as a Cat 3, it did all but wipe New Orleans out.
I wonder what Gustav will do as a Cat4.

You already have thousands upon thousands of contractors, and con artists, loading up, and getting ready to respond. I don't think they will open up the Superdome this time, however, you never know. Given the way the people in New Orleans reacted last time, (As if the world owed them everything) I don't think I'll be as quick to pack up and try to go help them this time. Been there, done that. I remember standing there handing out food, and water, and they were bitching that it wasn't McDonalds and beer. We brought them Mattresses, and pillows to sleep on, and about 30 of the people in the SuperDome told us that they just lost their homes, and they shouldn't have to help unload them. We should do it for them. So with that helpful attitude, we closed up the truck, and took them to another shelter where our efforts were more appreciated. Fuck um, if they want to sleep on the ground, it's no sweat off my back. It's awe funny, how the next truck to show up we had a few volunteers. Yes, they were the mothers of the children. The same group of guys was still belly achin, so we divided everything up among the helpful people. The third trip those fellas was first in line to help. Isn't it funny how the greater your need becomes, the more willing you are to help yourself?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0

Replies To: New Orleans ordered to "Bug Out"

• GabehabeSwamp
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: New Orleans ordered to "Bug Out"

Posted 31 August 2008 - 02:16 PM

Unappreciative bastards~ That's the exact reason that I don't arse myself to help people. If they don't appreciate my help, why should I offer it to them?

Aren't hurricanes usually named after women?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 August 2008 - 02:22 PM

Fucking bush, that incompetent bastard is bringing us another storm. What gives him the right? ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 August 2008 - 03:06 PM

lul

People need to realize that New Orleans is below sea level. If you're going to spend all that taxpayer money on rebuilding might as well move the damn city--idiots.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• i am colt mccoy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 August 2008 - 04:11 PM

yeah i wrote a blog post about this a few days ago.

gf goes to tulane, katrina evacuation started 4 hours after she moved in her freshman year.

i feel no sympathy though for the city because they have 15 billion in funds to rebuild, and the levees are still not at the level they were pre-katrina... plus the city has sunk 3 feet in the past 2 decades and its a stupid design in the first place.

i prefer my tax money does not go to any rebuilding after this hurricane since it went after the first one and its your own fault if you rebuilt in the same place with out heeding the warning that katrina was as an indrect hit.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 August 2008 - 04:24 PM

First of all some sources say Katrina was a Category 3 but others say it was actually a Category 4 when it made landfall so that is up to interpretation.

Secondly, Nagin is an idiot mayor I think and probably should have been replaced after Katrina.

Third, Fema looks more prepared now so we shall see what those idiots at the federal level are going to do. Do realize that they had some 400-800 mobile homes ready for residents and never used them. Perhaps they can use them now? Yeah right.

Fourth, Obama should capitalize on this opportunity to pitch in and show how american like he can be and be a leader.

Fifth, I thought it was a total waste to dump all that money back into New Orleans to rebuild the same old city the way it was. As far as I am concerned too, anyone who stays now gets what they deserve. You were warned with Katrina and didn't listen, we helped out, you are being warned again so if something happens again tough luck as far as I am concerned. Plus if you lost everything in Katrina, perfect time to move and start a new life elsewhere.

Sixth, you know the hurricanes are going to keep coming for years to come so why chance it?

Just some personal opinions there. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Everybody's crazy but me!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 August 2008 - 04:33 PM

I agree with you Marty.

They should have just let the city turn into a lake (or whatever it would have been) and rebuilt elsewhere. (Where, I don't know).

Maybe if you were from there you'd feel differently, but it seems to me once bitten twice shy.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 Guest_Whizzy*

Posted 31 August 2008 - 05:16 PM

I think they should take everything from New Orleans, to Lake charles, and south, level everything. Dig a trench around it one mile deep, 1 mile deep, 1/4 mile wide and fill it with concrete. Then erect a fence of 6 inch steel 50' tall, run about 100,000 volts to it. Bring in enough lumber and building materials to get them started, and then take every damn inmate in state prisons around the country and drop them off. They can have it.
If you get sent to prison, you don't come out. That'd make you think twice about raping that little 12 year old girl. Next hurricaane that comes in can do what it's gotta do, and when it's over they can bury their own. Every state can help flip the bill to pay the guards you'd have to have stationed around the fence. Camera's inside the prison could allow for a few HBO specials that would make "OZ" look like "The Wizard of Oz."
After the gardens started, we'd stop feeding the bastards, and they could become vegetarians. These things need not be tragedies. Oh yeah, the residents of New Orleans and the area down there... can move to where the old prisons were torn down and new condos would be built. It's a win - win... Put that sherriff "Joe" in charge of the prison... He knows how to run them boys.
Was This Post Helpful? 0

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 August 2008 - 05:24 PM

View PostMartyr2, on 31 Aug, 2008 - 04:24 PM, said:

Fourth, Obama should capitalize on this opportunity to pitch in and show how american like he can be and be a leader.

I liked your post until I read this.

Show how? He is currently a member of the legislative branch of our government. If "acting like a leader" is going down there for a photo op then yes, he'll probably do it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• i am colt mccoy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 August 2008 - 05:33 PM

View PostWhizzy, on 31 Aug, 2008 - 07:16 PM, said:

I think they should take everything from New Orleans, to Lake charles, and south, level everything. Dig a trench around it one mile deep, 1 mile deep, 1/4 mile wide and fill it with concrete. Then erect a fence of 6 inch steel 50' tall, run about 100,000 volts to it. Bring in enough lumber and building materials to get them started, and then take every damn inmate in state prisons around the country and drop them off. They can have it.
If you get sent to prison, you don't come out. That'd make you think twice about raping that little 12 year old girl. Next hurricaane that comes in can do what it's gotta do, and when it's over they can bury their own. Every state can help flip the bill to pay the guards you'd have to have stationed around the fence. Camera's inside the prison could allow for a few HBO specials that would make "OZ" look like "The Wizard of Oz."
After the gardens started, we'd stop feeding the bastards, and they could become vegetarians. These things need not be tragedies. Oh yeah, the residents of New Orleans and the area down there... can move to where the old prisons were torn down and new condos would be built. It's a win - win... Put that sherriff "Joe" in charge of the prison... He knows how to run them boys.

this is one of the worst posts ever posted on dreamincode. shut. the. fuck. up.

back to the topic.

i'm posting my blog post here because it is pertinent:

My name is Fred.

I had a house. It was destroyed by this big predictable hurricane called Katrina. After Katrina I asked you for money and took that money to rebuild my house exactly as it stood before. Even though it happened once, it couldn’t happen again. But now there is another hurricane coming called Gustav, so I’m evacuating again. I’m gonna come hang out with you for a little while, and before I go back will probably need some cash to rebuild my house again. No actually, I’m going to demand the cash, and then blame the hurricane on you.

That is what I imagine New Orleans residents are saying to FEMA right now, which I don’t understand. How can you build an entire city in a below-sea-level area, in a hurricane-prone area, with sub-par levees? The argument that Katrina was an extraordinary storm are just wrong. Katrina was a strong hurricane, but its not like Andrew wasn’t as bad, or a number of other storms that have hit in the four decades since the construction of the levee system. NOLA rolled the dice for 40 years and when it finally got unlucky it decided to call on FEMA / our government … to rebuild it.

Now here is the thing. You would think that that money would go towards a) building the sickest sea wall ever or B) moving out. However, the levee system is not nearly enough to stop another hurricane (like Gustav) or anything else for that matter until up until 2011. What? How does it take 6 years to throw some dirt on a hill. I know thats an extreme exaggeration but you think a little bit more effort would go into fortifying an entire city. So, 15 billion is going into a ‘plan’ to re-protect the city, but only 20% of that is done and the rest won’t be done for some time.

I wouldn’t rebuild a house there. In 2008 there are expected to be 8 hurricanes that hit the US, 4 of which will be major hurricanes, along with 15 tropical storms (because parts of the levee may not hold up to that). Note that these are on the east coast (since on the West they are tsunamis), and that the Gulf of Mexico is sort of Hurricane Alley. So any resident of NOLA is rolling the dice that between 2005 and 2011 (6 years), that 1 of 48 (predicted) hurricanes will not hit close to the city (because if you remember Katrina wasn’t even a direct hit) . Yikes. Not odds I would bet my livelihood and home on.

While looking up some of these facts I found some other interesting tidbits such as parts of NOLA have sunk 3 feet in the past couple of decades, and some parts quite a bit more than that. Meaning a) the levees are lower than designed and B) the future of the city as a whole is seriously in doubt. Yikes, again.

So, it is with the above statements that I kind ask my government to not send my money to New Orleans this time around, that they can keep it and use it for other things, like re-painting the white house pink for Obama’s daughters…

P.S. Why stay in NOLA anyways? It sorta sucks outside the French Quarter, and really, you can move that anywhere. I hope I get hate mail.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 Guest_Whizzy*

Posted 31 August 2008 - 05:42 PM

One thing you can count on, I'll never shut the fuck up...

Sorry if you don't like, or agree, but that's my opinion. I wouldn't build a dog house there if it were mine. But I would sent the prisoners to live there... and I wouldn't evacuate them.
Was This Post Helpful? 0

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 August 2008 - 05:45 PM

View PostKYA, on 31 Aug, 2008 - 05:24 PM, said:

View PostMartyr2, on 31 Aug, 2008 - 04:24 PM, said:

I liked your post until I read this.

Show how? He is currently a member of the legislative branch of our government. If "acting like a leader" is going down there for a photo op then yes, he'll probably do it.

This could mean pitch in and fill some sand bags, this could mean coordinate some of Illinois resources to go down there and help, preferably he can do both. Maybe go down there and inspire some workers. Just get his hands dirty a bit and hold off on the campaigning.

Maybe he can get a bill passed or push for some kind of emergency funding on the federal level. He is a senator still you know. I encourage McCain to do the same... even though I don't think he would. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Lord of Schwing
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 August 2008 - 06:17 PM

I liked Whizzy's prison idea. Everyone gets so PC when it comes to dealing with them but bottom line is, they're there because they did something that probably wasn't very nice to someone who probably didn't deserve it. The more people start handling them with kid gloves and giving them stuff like tv in prisons and gyms etc the less of a deterent prison is going to become. Wall em off and let them fend for themselves. Lets see how they would deal with a hurricane, first in can be those f*ckers that scammed people after katrina
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 August 2008 - 06:23 PM

My favorite horror story was that of the hospital who kept their emergency generators in the basement. They are already sub sea level, heck lets just keep drilling down, right?

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 August 2008 - 06:26 PM

All I have to say to that is .... LOL :lol:

I can't believe people can find things like that in pictures.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +