8 Replies - 29105 Views - Last Post: 21 October 2011 - 04:26 AM

• Barbarbar
  • member icon

• View blog

iPod Touch White Screen Flicker

Posted 03 September 2008 - 12:44 PM

Hello, all.

I just received an 8GB iPod Touch from Apple, and upon getting it home quickly upgraded the software and synced it. I did not have time to charge the battery completely, so I turned my computer + iPod off for the night.

I take the bus to work in the mornings, and used the iPod on the busride - worked perfectly. However, upon getting to work and plugging it into my laptop, the screen went solid white, with multiple colored lines flickering over it - I could not see anything that was supposed to be on the screen. However, I could still interact with the iPod - unlocking it, relocking it, and just generally clicking around.

After leaving it alone for a few hours, I took it to a local mac dealer. There, a salesperson took one look at it and said "call Apple and tell them you got one defective out of the box"(it's been less than 24 hours), and that they would then send me a replacement.

However, upon returning to the office I decided on a whim to try again, and...the iPod worked! The screen is back to normal, and everything is as it was. The white flicker doesn't seem to be there anymore.

Has anyone else ever encountered anything like this? Does anyone with more of an electronics background than I have know what might have happened?

Thanks,
Girasquid

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: iPod Touch White Screen Flicker

• Barbarbar
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: iPod Touch White Screen Flicker

Posted 11 September 2008 - 08:04 AM

I can no longer edit this post, but it has happened again. Here is a picture that I took of the screen: http://twitpic.com/b2z8
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 September 2008 - 08:08 AM

The white screen means that there is a bad connection between the video LCD & the main board. I can't say 100% for the touch, but when I've seen an iPod (nano & regular) with similar behavior, if another LCD does not resolve the problem, then a new board does. Chances are you got someone else's replacement, or it had a bumpy ride. & I know your 1st reaction is "but it's brand new". I had one customer whom right out of the box, his nano Gen 3 had an enormous gauge, not scratch, on the back & faceplate. I always, always say, if the item is covered under the warranty, get a replacement!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Barbarbar
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 September 2008 - 08:24 AM

Thanks for the explanation no2pencil.

I don't have the Applecare plan on this iPod; do you think that I will still be able to call in and get it replaced, or will I need to just stomache the cost and buy a replacement?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 September 2008 - 08:25 AM

It's brand new & it's defective, they should cover it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Barbarbar
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 September 2008 - 11:17 AM

I tried unlocking it once again, and now the iPod has frozen on a broken locked screen(image attached).

Needless to say, I will be calling Apple about this.

Attached image(s)

• Attached Image

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 April 2009 - 05:53 PM

View Postgirasquid, on 3 Sep, 2008 - 11:44 AM, said:

Hello, all.

I just received an 8GB iPod Touch from Apple, and upon getting it home quickly upgraded the software and synced it. I did not have time to charge the battery completely, so I turned my computer + iPod off for the night.

I take the bus to work in the mornings, and used the iPod on the busride - worked perfectly. However, upon getting to work and plugging it into my laptop, the screen went solid white, with multiple colored lines flickering over it - I could not see anything that was supposed to be on the screen. However, I could still interact with the iPod - unlocking it, relocking it, and just generally clicking around.

After leaving it alone for a few hours, I took it to a local mac dealer. There, a salesperson took one look at it and said "call Apple and tell them you got one defective out of the box"(it's been less than 24 hours), and that they would then send me a replacement.

However, upon returning to the office I decided on a whim to try again, and...the iPod worked! The screen is back to normal, and everything is as it was. The white flicker doesn't seem to be there anymore.

Has anyone else ever encountered anything like this? Does anyone with more of an electronics background than I have know what might have happened?

Thanks,
Girasquid

i had my ipod touch for a while about a month and i was getting kind of bored at church so i turned it on and played a game later i got bored of the game so i pressed the home button then i dont know what i pressed but it brought me to the internet i pressed the home button again but it didnt work so i tried closing it. my friend leaned against me and pressed the home button while i was closing it and it just had a white-out and the sceen turned all white.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 October 2011 - 02:33 AM

our computer monitor does that when the computer boots (only when the computer boots, and sometimes when it shuts down). sometimes tapping the top of the monitor will make the screen go back to normal. try tapping your ipod in various places. mine doesn't do it, but i only had it two days.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 October 2011 - 04:26 AM

When you say computer do you mean laptop? If you are tapping on the upper left, then the lcd cable is not connected correctly.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1