19 Replies - 1571 Views - Last Post: 14 September 2008 - 04:43 AM

#1 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Microsoft hires comedian Jerry Seinfeld as Vista Pitchman

Posted 03 September 2008 - 09:27 PM

As per this article :

Microsoft has hired comedian Jerry Seinfeld to anchor a $300 million advertising campaign designed to
burnish the image of its struggling Windows Vista franchise, according to The Wall Street Journal.

The newspaper, citing sources familiar with the arrangement, reported Thursday that Seinfeld will be paid $10 million for the work and that the campaign will launch on Sept. 4. The campaign was created by the Crispin, Porter + Bogusky agency of Miami.

Microsoft officials were not immediately available for comment.

The software maker is desperate to counter widely popular Apple ads that personify Vista as a bumbling, middle-manager type while portraying Apple's Leopard OS as a cool hipster.

The ads, which have become part of popular culture, have helped boost Leopard sales and may be partly responsible for the widely held perception that Windows Vista is cumbersome and hard to use. Few businesses have upgraded to Vista from Windows XP, citing concerns about Vista's cost, compatibility with older software and intrusive security features.

Microsoft's dominance of the computer operating system market has declined significantly in recent years as viable alternatives to Windows emerge.

In addition to Leopard, the open source Linux OS is going mainstream as distributors such as Ubuntu add features designed to make it more user-friendly. Wal-Mart earlier this year began selling Everex's Linux-based gPC for less than $200.

It's all taking a toll on Windows' market share.

In 2007, only about 39% of new computers shipped with Vista on board, compared with the 67% of the new computer market captured by Windows XP in its first full year of availability in 2002, according to data from Microsoft and Gartner.

Now... my initial comment on this is, rather than dump $300 million into an advertising campaign designed to clean up it's image, why don't they spent *any number of* million to actually clean up Vista? I mean, other than some here, I've heard nothing but extremely terrible reviews of it.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Microsoft hires comedian Jerry Seinfeld as Vista Pitchman

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Microsoft hires comedian Jerry Seinfeld as Vista Pitchman

Posted 03 September 2008 - 10:41 PM

My understanding is that they have fixed it (or at least they think they have). I don't have vista so I can't say for sure. But it appears to be more of a public relations battle at the moment.

I look forward to windows7. Microsoft probably learned their lesson.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 September 2008 - 10:47 PM

What lesson? The best software they have ever sold they stole or bought.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 September 2008 - 10:50 PM

What lesson?
The lesson would be that you can't screw up on the first release of an OS or the public will completely reject it.

The best software they have ever sold they stole or bought.
I'd like to see you prove that. I haven't seen anyone offer any convincing evidence.

I'm just not buying any of this "Microsoft is evil" business. Windows is a great OS, it'll take more than one mistake to change my opinion there.

This post has been edited by Andora: 03 September 2008 - 10:54 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• i am colt mccoy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 September 2008 - 10:50 PM

vista is a decent os. it has been refined and from my experience works well. there just isn't a need for it. XP is a great os in many aspects and people don't see a need to switch. aero isn't enough of a pull.

anyone else think Seinfeld is a mac user? he strikes me as one.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 September 2008 - 11:17 PM

View PostAndora, on 4 Sep, 2008 - 01:50 AM, said:

The best software they have ever sold they stole or bought.
I'd like to see you prove that. I haven't seen anyone offer any convincing evidence.

A federal jury in Los Angeles has dealt a major blow to Microsoft Corp.'s image of invincibility. The jury has ordered Microsoft to pay relatively tiny Stac Electronics Inc. $120 million for patent infringement.

Microsoft has vowed to appeal, but in the meantime it will pull from its MS-DOS 6.0 and 6.2.

Microsoft bought the rights to QDOS for $50,000, keeping the IBM deal a secret from Seattle Computer Products.

http://64.233.167.10...N...;cd=1&gl=us

19 Jun 2002 - Burst.com, a publisher of multimedia distribution and playback software, has filed suit against Microsoft for patent infringement, antitrust, unfair business practices, trade secrets violations and breach of contract. It's the same old story. Microsoft sees useful technology. Microsoft and originator enter license negotiations. Microsoft gets good inside look at technology. License negotiations suddenly end. Microsoft issues similar product infringing on patents and copyrights. Microsoft moves to kill originator quickly to reduce or eliminate settlement costs.

http://www.aaxnet.co...pics/msinc.html

I don't have enough time to continue on. Vista is Microsofts' attempt to poach on transparencies & gadgets, visual technologies that they just can't offer with XP. As well, formally named Longhorn, the release took years to finally crash & die before they moved on to Vista. Plus too, it can be argued that the entire idea of "Windows" technology was copied from Macintosh.

*sigh* there I go, beating that dead horse. But you did ask for references.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 September 2008 - 12:02 AM

Make sure to check who wrote those articles... I'm not impressed by the reputability of those sites.

Assuming everything there is factual. I don't see anything beyond the norm.

Nintendo copied Atari
all the browsers copy from eachother
Google copied Altavista
I could go on but it'd take more research.

All businesses take ideas from each other to some extent.

If I were to call a company evil, I admit that is the place I'd start. You don't need a whole lot of proof to say that things look similar and every business does it.

Microsoft is evil because you want it to be.

This post has been edited by Andora: 04 September 2008 - 12:04 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 September 2008 - 12:17 AM

Sorry to drag this on, but that's not true.

Atari actually joined with Nintendo when they could not crack the 10NES security in order to make their own games (like Tengen did). The fact they operated on the same playing field doesn't mean Nintendo copied them. They created a better system & pulled it off.

Microsoft creates a piss poor product (sometimes using unethical methods), & then tries to destroy the originator, or they buy them out.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 September 2008 - 12:31 AM

That's the thing I hate about lists... If you can find one item that isn't true then you can completely ignore the rest of it...

View Postno2pencil, on 4 Sep, 2008 - 12:17 AM, said:

The fact they operated on the same playing field doesn't mean Nintendo copied them. They created a better system & pulled it off.
I feel the same way about Microsoft.

Microsoft creates a piss poor product (sometimes using unethical methods), & then tries to destroy the originator, or they buy them out.
"poor" is completely subjective. I don't believe that there were any "unethical methods", I haven't seen any evidence that could even get close to making that case in a court. And of course they are going to buy out their competition. I don't even know where this stuff comes from. Who comes up with this stuff?

It is clear we will never agree. I will let you have the last word. I have no wish to argue this.

This post has been edited by Andora: 04 September 2008 - 12:36 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 September 2008 - 12:41 AM

I apologize if you think I'm arguing. I'm not trying to persuade your opinion. You said you had not seen any relevant proof, so I provided some links (the last of which actually links to news articles & sometimes the court cases themselves). I actually remember Dos 6.0 being re-released as 6.2. I can't very well post the event of my memory here. As well I remember some of the anti-trust lawsuit cases in '02 & '03.

Good day to you :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 September 2008 - 01:05 AM

I'm sorry for overreacting. I suppose I'm just sick of all the attacks on windows (mostly because Apple is way too controlling over developers). :(

Anyhow, on a completely different note has anyone seen this? It's kinda stupid but it gave me a good laugh. :lol:

This post has been edited by Andora: 04 September 2008 - 01:19 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 September 2008 - 07:16 PM

I like how he licks it at the end.

Pretty funny stuff. :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

Posted 04 September 2008 - 08:05 PM

a comedian selling bad software(well i never liked vista)

couldn't that give the image that the product is a joke?

Thats the automatic connection in my mind anyway
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• GabehabeSwamp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 September 2008 - 03:03 AM

Here it is if you haven't already seen it:

http://www.therawfee...here-it-is.html

-_-
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 September 2008 - 05:37 AM

I saw this on TV last night. Since Seinfeld once pitched his show as "about nothing" it seems somehow appropriate.

The ad tells you nothing at all about any product. It's Jerry and Bill, being Jerry. I suppose they're trying to be as "hip" as the Apple ads. Since neither Bill or Jerry have ever been remotely hip, it seems like an odd choice.

It's sad. I was kind of looking forward to a brilliant ad campaign from Mi$, if only to knock the now annoying Apple ads down a peg. Alas, Microsoft once again proves that all the money in the world can't buy good PR. Hope Seinfeld got paid up front.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +