11 Replies - 19855 Views - Last Post: 11 September 2008 - 11:20 AM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Beginner Project Ideas

Post icon  Posted 07 September 2008 - 07:29 PM

I'm studying Visual Basic at high school, and I'm trying to figure out a project to work on. I'm completely new to VB, and I need something to work on for roughly a few weeks, as a way to sort of teach myself the language. I've got to work with Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0. I'm at a loss... does anyone have any ideas as to what I can do?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Beginner Project Ideas

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Beginner Project Ideas

Posted 07 September 2008 - 07:38 PM

View Poststeevo301, on 7 Sep, 2008 - 07:29 PM, said:

I'm studying Visual Basic at high school, and I'm trying to figure out a project to work on. I'm completely new to VB, and I need something to work on for roughly a few weeks, as a way to sort of teach myself the language. I've got to work with Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0. I'm at a loss... does anyone have any ideas as to what I can do?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

try simple program such as adding, deleting and searching student's info's in your classroom in a database.. learning the basic will help you on your future programming..
Was This Post Helpful? 1

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 September 2008 - 08:00 PM

View Postj0hnrAiner, on 7 Sep, 2008 - 07:38 PM, said:

try simple program such as adding, deleting and searching student's info's in your classroom in a database.. learning the basic will help you on your future programming..

That sounds like a pretty good basis, but I'm not sure it would fill my requirement. I need something fairly advanced that will take me quite a long time to create, and expose me to as many different concepts as possible. I can do programs like the one you suggested as a way to teach myself along the way, but I need something bigger. I forgot to add that I've got a good amount of experience in QBasic and C++ as well. (Not sure if that helps me here, but thought I'd let you know.)

Sorry, I guess I didn't make myself very clear. Anything?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2008 - 03:02 AM

Why don't you create a game that has helped me a lot when I started learning VB6.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• GabehabeSwamp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2008 - 10:27 AM

Define "a good amount of C++ knowledge"
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2008 - 11:19 AM

Try one of the programs I had to do in school but add a twist. I did it without a DB and it was in C++.

-Create a database that reads data into an array and use that information until you are done then save it back to the database.
-Use only code to create your objects on your forms.
-Track inventory as it rises and diminishes and create an auto order level.
-When a report is run, it automatically autofills what you need to order but do not allow to change the levels that are ordered. That requires a different form.

Take even further if you like
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2008 - 12:21 PM

roman numeral calculator... with the option of doing polynomial math..

This post has been edited by modi123_1: 10 September 2008 - 07:22 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2008 - 12:50 PM

Scientific calculator, you can start with a simple calc and add scientific functionality the more you work on it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2008 - 08:29 PM

Try a movie store inventory management system. You could allow customers to register and rent movies. An employee could enter and remove movies from the system, check on rentals, etc.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 September 2008 - 02:29 PM

Going back to checking/adding/deleting student info idea, I'd be careful before knocking this one. It may sound simple in concept, but when you start playing with data structures, you'll realize there is a little more to it than that (unless your class is teaching you about data structures as well as C++ although they don't normally combine both elements in a class). Have it so you can sort everyone in the class by their name, then by grade, then by DOB, etc...make it so you can delete the information, add new information, and able to export it to a file or printer, and be able to import from a file (like a saved file). You can make it as complex or simple as you want. Heck, if you wanted, help your teacher out by making something they could actually use to monitor grades and such, or create a network mapping program. Had a guy in our data structures class create a program that drew representations of every computer connected to the network at our university (and it was extremely squished in places, but it had all available ip addresses mapped). It was pretty neat, and that uses extensive data structures knowledge.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 11 September 2008 - 11:16 AM

Try making a simple game in VB.. I used to make a Q and A game using VB and MS ACCESS as my database quite fun you might learn much from there... And try to make a program that is LAN - based.. Putting your database in other computer and trying to access your database on other computer using your program... Gud luck
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 September 2008 - 11:20 AM

Create a simple game in C++ then convert that into VB6 that way you can understand what is going on it will also help you compare the two and also help understand C++ better.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1